Do schools verify shadowing hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still a while away from applying but I was wondering if schools verify shadowing hours. I've only shadowed a couple hours so far and while the dentistry is awesome, the actual shadowing sucks since you're just standing around.

Obviously I don't intend to only do 10 hours and say I did 100 or anything like that, I'm asking because I might round up a little bit.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still a while away from applying but I was wondering if schools verify shadowing hours. I've only shadowed a couple hours so far and while the dentistry is awesome, the actual shadowing sucks since you're just standing around.

Obviously I don't intend to only do 10 hours and say I did 100 or anything like that, I'm asking because I might round up a little bit.
None of the schools I applied to did.

They probably verify quite little of what you put down. Schools get thousands of applicants and as long as an applicants numbers are reasonable aka not 100 million shadowing and volunteering hours then they probably don't flag you. Its a numbers game and calling every applicants contacts to verify would take too long.

To answer your other question that you didn't explicitly ask: Yes you can embellish your hours and not get caught. Personally I think the risks outweigh the potential gain there and it is disingenuous. Just volunteer more. There are a lot of good organizations that could use help.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They probably verify quite little of what you put down. Schools get thousands of applicants and as long as an applicants numbers are reasonable aka not 100 million shadowing and volunteering hours then they probably don't flag you. Its a numbers game and calling every applicants contacts to verify would take too long.

To answer your other question that you didn't explicitly ask: Yes you can embellish your hours and not get caught. Personally I think the risks outweigh the potential gain there and it is disingenuous. Just volunteer more. There are a lot of good organizations that could use help.

oh yeah I don't mind volunteering. shadowing bores me.

I hope they verify mine.

500+ working in one dental office
2000+ in another

Mine were regular numbers and they go verified by couple schools

Is that using personalized or accepted rounding rules?

do you really think that beginning your dental career by committing fraud is a good way to start?

I saw an old post where you said you had a terrible undergrad with sub 3.0 gpas. There’s not a lot of room for errors going forward for you. I wouldn’t risk it. It may be boring but get it over with. Like people said the risks outweigh the benefits

I saw an old post where you said you had a terrible undergrad with sub 3.0 gpas. There’s not a lot of room for errors going forward for you. I wouldn’t risk it. It may be boring but get it over with. Like people said the risks outweigh the benefits

Yeah I think you're right. Thats the last thing I need lol.