DO Schools With The Shortest OMM Course?

Started by Old_Mil
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Old_Mil

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depending on what you want your practice to be like, there are advantages to having OMT courses of differing lengths. So I've started this thread to list DO schools that have short OMT courses. The advantage to the short course, of course, is that if you want to be an interventional cardiologist, a neurosurgeon, or a dermatologist that you aren't trying to re-memorize the setup for hip and long restrictors when you're gearing up for boards.

So which schools offer a short OMT course (1 semester or 1 year)?
 
Old_Mil said:
Depending on what you want your practice to be like, there are advantages to having OMT courses of differing lengths. So I've started this thread to list DO schools that have short OMT courses. The advantage to the short course, of course, is that if you want to be an interventional cardiologist, a neurosurgeon, or a dermatologist that you aren't trying to re-memorize the setup for hip and long restrictors when you're gearing up for boards.

So which schools offer a short OMT course (1 semester or 1 year)?

I know Oklahoma State is one...

Oklahoma State has OMT all 4 semesters + a 1-month rotation in the 3rd year. 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OSUdoc08 said:
Oklahoma State has OMT all 4 semesters + a 1-month rotation in the 3rd year. 😕

Ok, I guess OSU isn't one then. CCOM? I definately remember that being mentioned here...
 
Old_Mil said:
Ok, I guess OSU isn't one then. CCOM? I definately remember that being mentioned here...
lol, keep shooting a school out there until you're right?
smooth operator 🙄
 
I am pretty sure each osteopathic medical school has to teach similar topics and hours of OMM to be accredited by the AOA and to prepare its students for COMLEX. The difference may be in extra-curricular OMM opportunities from school to school. The minimum mandatory OMM taught isn't really enough for treating patients without ongoing and extra-curricular practice in my opinion, which is just fine by some people. The basics are enough to give you a boost in understanding of body dynamics and the inter-dependence of the body systems.
 
Old_Mil said:
Ok, I guess OSU isn't one then. CCOM? I definately remember that being mentioned here...

Ummm. Sorry Charlie! CCOM has OMM all first year and all second year. You can check their website.

Keep on trying! 🙄
 
I believe the minimum is a total of 200 hours of training in OMM (which I would imagine would be 4 semesters at all schools)