DO Secondaries - You MUST list all other schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ski2Doc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i am reapplying this year, what a HASSLE. Anyone agree?

Anyways, on some DO secondaries they ask you to list ALL MD and DO schools that you are applying to AND have applied to last year (if reapplying). Most MD schools dont ask and i feel that this can be used as a discrimination factor against those that apply to many schools. I called AACOMAS, and the top guy (or one of them) said that he raised this issue with the schools and felt it was wrong to ask also. However, unlike AMCAS, AACOMAS, just gives suggestions and isnt as powerful.

So does anyone else have a problem with this or just me???

P.S. AACOMAS is VERY helpful and can answer your Q's very well on the phone, this top guy called me back within a half hour. Kudos.

Members don't see this ad.

i agree it's a bit tasteless to ask for a list of schools people are applying to. however, one way out of it is to state you are still undecided on the application. however, if they ask you again at an interview (which i'd be surprised if they didn't), you're somewhat stuck...

KnishTix said:
Hey i am reapplying this year, what a HASSLE. Anyone agree?

Anyways, on some DO secondaries they ask you to list ALL MD and DO schools that you are applying to AND have applied to last year (if reapplying). Most MD schools dont ask and i feel that this can be used as a discrimination factor against those that apply to many schools. I called AACOMAS, and the top guy (or one of them) said that he raised this issue with the schools and felt it was wrong to ask also. However, unlike AMCAS, AACOMAS, just gives suggestions and isnt as powerful.

So does anyone else have a problem with this or just me???

P.S. AACOMAS is VERY helpful and can answer your Q's very well on the phone, this top guy called me back within a half hour. Kudos.

I agree with you, man. DO schools should just accept that they WILL be the second choice of many people. But, if they get good applicants and good students still... why the hell should they care? I don't think the info about what other schools we apply to should be their business at all. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
You don't have to list schools if you don't want to. It maybe unethical, but I'm sure people do it.
Hey, Dr.Z you sound like you are connected to some school. Are you SURE that you dont have to answer?

The undecided bit is a GREAT idea, thanks LT2. But it will DEFINTATELY come up on the interview, my friends who interviewed at MD schools this year said so. But at that stage the school is already interested and your app isnt in the special filing cabinet called trash. Also at the interview you can explain yourself eye to eye and you are better off than just saying i applied here and there, then and now.

I just listed my schools on the Nova secondary, which could be bad for me because they ask you to list all the schools you have applied to in the past as well... so I had to list the MD schools I applied to last year and the ones I am applying to this year... but I think it will be okay as long as you can explain why you are applying to both md and do or in my case why I am applying to do this year and not last year... and since I have an interview scheduled at Nova at the end of october I will be working on my answer!

Sweetlill1 said:
I just listed my schools on the Nova secondary, which could be bad for me because they ask you to list all the schools you have applied to in the past as well... so I had to list the MD schools I applied to last year and the ones I am applying to this year... but I think it will be okay as long as you can explain why you are applying to both md and do or in my case why I am applying to do this year and not last year... and since I have an interview scheduled at Nova at the end of october I will be working on my answer!

Yup, Nova is th annoying one. And whats up with the app? creating the accnt sucked and the app is sooooo long. I think, no i KNOW, that i answered 80% of the Q's in the AACOMAS already. Why cant they just say "send a check and thats all", Jersey did that, no b.s. secondary just a check.

ANYWAYS, when did you finish the secondary, and letters? and when did you get the invite? I just want to know their timeline, i am still working on the secondary.

I sent them my secondary on 18 Aug and got the invite on 22 Aug... I am sending my letters in by the end of this week hopefully (I am having my undergrad wait on my DO letter to send them all together)... so my turnaround was extremely fast. Good luck!