DO Shadowing not needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman132

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this thread a while ago... Can't seem to find it now.

It's basically a list of DO Schools that DON'T require you to shadow a DO (I have only shadowed MDs)

If anyone has it and could share that would be fantastic!

Members don't see this ad.

i know the thread you are talking about, and I am not sure where it is, but all of that can be found in the AACOMAS book on their website. Just read the secondary information and it will say if a DO letter is required.

I found this thread a while ago... Can't seem to find it now.

It's basically a list of DO Schools that DON'T require you to shadow a DO (I have only shadowed MDs)

If anyone has it and could share that would be fantastic!

Here it is.

Attachments

• DO LOR Requirements.xls
    23 KB · Views: 171
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to shadow a DO, just obtain a LOR from one.

You don't need to shadow a DO, just obtain a LOR from one.

Thanks, but I just think that I'll skip the ones that need a DO recommendation. (Just don't see the point since there are only 8 required)

Thanks, but I just think that I'll skip the ones that need a DO recommendation. (Just don't see the point since there are only 8 required)

Eh, I suppose that is true. However it does benefit your application.

Eh, I suppose that is true. However it does benefit your application.

I agree, there are 26 DO schools. It cuts it down to 18 and I'm sure the other DO schools would like to see it on my resume.

If I don't get in this cycle I definitely see myself begging some DOs to let me shadow.

I agree, there are 26 DO schools. It cuts it down to 18 and I'm sure the other DO schools would like to see it on my resume.

If I don't get in this cycle I definitely see myself begging some DOs to let me shadow.

You can always submit your application with MD letter and find a DO to shadow while you wait for your interview invite. There was at least one school who would even let you submit a DO letter by the time you're accepted. And some schools ask in their secondary "Why osteopathic medicine?" or "What specificexperience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine?" This kind of question could also come up in the interview. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:
Do you have an LOR from a MD? Many schools (>8) require an LOR from a physician (either MD or DO).

Plus, while you can get into an osteopathic school without shadowing a DO, I kinda feel like you are shooting yourself in the foot. How do you think it looks to adcom's when they have a student applying a DO school and they haven't even shadowed a DO? I live in an area with very few DO's and I was still able to find one and get an LOR.

Why not try for a D.O.? It may be a good experience for you anyway... or not. Plus having that D.O. LOR can only help you. Don't discount a school just because they require a letter you may have to go out of your way to obtain. No use closing doors before the game really begins.

You guys may have convinced me lol. Definitely couldn't hurt to annoy a few DOs

I am shadowing DOs but even better is to start using a DO as your primary care physician. I've been going to MD's for years and am familiar with their practices. I figured since I'm applying to DO schools I should understand the patient side of working with one. I now have a DO as my primary care provider and I think it gives me an even better insight into the differences between MD and DO then just shadowing does.