Do sites tell you if you will be ranked or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denimfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I heard through the grapevines that some sites do but was wondering if this was normal practice or you could ask about it?

Members don't see this ad.

They aint supposed to. But...I've heard some things otherwise from some about this.

It’s allowed. The only guidance APPIC has is that if a program is going to notify applicants that they aren’t being ranked they have to do it no later than 7 days before rank order lists are due.

Some programs do notify people if they are being ranked. My program does not. We believe it’s an unnecessary blow to the applicant that ultimately makes no difference in how the match works.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, but wouldn't be better to know if you will not be ranked? I would probably not want to rank a site that is not going to rank me in top spots and waste that space (e.g., top 5 rankings). Does this have any implications?

Hmm, but wouldn't be better to know if you will not be ranked? I would probably not want to rank a site that is not going to rank me in top spots and waste that space (e.g., top 5 rankings). Does this have any implications?
No, it doesnt have any implications. If you arent ranked (or if the site ranks you low and matches before you, even if you are ranked) then the rank system treats it like that site wasn't in your rank list at all. So it doesn't hurt to rank a site you dont rank highly at, or that you arent ranked at. The system is created to favor your ranking order when possible.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a site tell me I was still under consideration after the interview via email.

Sites can do whatever they want, and so can you, short of telling each other *which* rank. I had sites email me to tell me I was "still competitive" and a couple sites called my adviser. Gotta screen out those Axis IIs.

I had radio silence after interviewing, then matched, as did the vast majority of my peers. That’s the standard; the exception is for a site to hint about an interviewee being ranked, etc.

Lots of anxiety around this time coming out as questions before match day! ;)