Do state medical boards see expunged fbi records?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedoxRx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm an aspiring medical student in the U.S. and have a question regarding state medical boards and FBI fingerprint background checks. Do state medical boards see expunged FBI records? I'm asking this question, because some states indicate on the application that you don't have to disclose expunged convictions and having them see the nature of the offense might dissuade them from granting the MD licence, correct? The type of fingerprint FBI check is "Government Licensing/Certification" and since it's not for employment, would they see the record of expunged offense during the FBI check? Would this also be an issue when applying for residency?

The nature of the offenses are the following: False info to obtain driver's license (plead guilty but case was expunged) and indecent exposure (did not plead guilty. case was expunged). The indecent exposure charge is the only charge that was reported to the FBI. Both offenses were due to a mental illness. The mental illness has been completely treated and I have been completely rehabilitated.

I'm concerned that I might go through many years of pre-medical and medical school just to learn that the state board won't grant me a MD license due to the nature of these offenses. All those years of hard work would be tossed out the window. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure it'll show up and may come up in an interview but I highly doubt it since it was expunged honestly.

Edit: And do a major you like and something to fall back on just in-case you do not make it or follow through with med school.

It WILL come up in any federal check should they choose to do one. Even juvenile records do.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, but given the nature of the offenses and also given the fact that they were expunged. What are the chances of them granting the MD license?

Status
Not open for further replies.