DO student looking to match MD EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skinnycatfish10

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am a OMS3 looking to match to a competitive allopathic Emergency Medicine Residency program, preferably county. I will apply broadly but my dream places to attend are listed below. I am a Tampa native but would like to end up in NYC if at all possible. I plan on applying for elective rotations at all the places listed below to try to get my foot in the door.

Id like to know what you guys think my chances are at this and if there is anything else I could to to improve my application. Here are some stats on myself:

USMLE Step 1- 242
COMLEX Step 1 - 575
Shelf grades - 70s
Female, white, jewish
Leadership - Mentor, student ambassador, VP of EM club at my school, student trainer at local clinic
Awards - 2 Academic scholarships from my school
Employment - Scribe in ED for <10 months before medical school and during my vacation after year 1 of med school
Research - none

My research so far has consisted of figuring out which programs have taken DOs in the past. Here is what I have found.
Emory - 1
Johns Hopkins - 3
Icahn - 0
Mount Sinai Beth Israel - 0
New York Presbyterian - 2
NYU - 0
SUNY Downstate - 0 and their application for electives denies DO application
USF - 15
ORMC - 1
Georgetown - 0
GW - 2
UF Jacks - 6

With all of this in mind Id be appreciative of any and all advice you guys have for me! If there are other programs in NYC I should be considering please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there!

I am a OMS3 looking to match to a competitive allopathic Emergency Medicine Residency program, preferably county. I will apply broadly but my dream places to attend are listed below. I am a Tampa native but would like to end up in NYC if at all possible. I plan on applying for elective rotations at all the places listed below to try to get my foot in the door.

Id like to know what you guys think my chances are at this and if there is anything else I could to to improve my application. Here are some stats on myself:

USMLE Step 1- 242
COMLEX Step 1 - 575
Shelf grades - 70s
Female, white, jewish
Leadership - Mentor, student ambassador, VP of EM club at my school, student trainer at local clinic
Employment - Scribe in ED for <10 months before medical school and during my vacation after year 1 of med school
Research - none

My research so far has consisted of figuring out which programs have taken DOs in the past. Here is what I have found.
Emory - 1
Johns Hopkins - 3
Icahn - 0
NYU - 0
USF - 15
ORMC - 1
Georgetown - 0
GW - 2
UF Jacks - 6

With all of this in mind Id be appreciative of any and all advice you guys have for me! If there are other programs in NYC I should be considering please let me know!

Downstate actually does have a few DOs, and I rotated with a few when I did my elective. Beth Israel is actually closing its residency since the hospital is being closed and their residents are being absorbed by St Luke's Roosevelt and Sinai proper.

If you're looking for county programs in NYC, Downstate and Jacobi/Einstein are probably your best bets - NYU isn't known for being particularly DO friendly

Take Step 2 CK. You want to make yourself as comparable to your MD colleagues as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much all of the NY residencies would take a DO except NYU and mt sinai.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Downstate actually does have a few DOs, and I rotated with a few when I did my elective. Beth Israel is actually closing its residency since the hospital is being closed and their residents are being absorbed by St Luke's Roosevelt and Sinai proper.

If you're looking for county programs in NYC, Downstate and Jacobi/Einstein are probably your best bets - NYU isn't known for being particularly DO friendly

Thanks so much for replying!

Applying to NYU would just be a waste of money.

Jacobi and Maimonides are probably the most DO friendly programs in NYC.

You're fine as a DO, so long as you have a Step 2 score that is similar or higher than your Step 1, and even then you will be just fine. Take a glimpse at the ROL thread and you will see your potential. EM Programs to avoid as a DO - NYU, Henry Ford, CWRU-UH, UChicago, Northwestern, WashU, UW. The rest are fair game, but some may require that you rotate there like the UCLAs, USC, Denver, OHSU, Utah

You're fine as a DO, so long as you have a Step 2 score that is similar or higher than your Step 1, and even then you will be just fine. Take a glimpse at the ROL thread and you will see your potential. EM Programs to avoid as a DO - NYU, Henry Ford, CWRU-UH, UChicago, Northwestern, WashU, UW. The rest are fair game, but some may require that you rotate there like the UCLAs, USC, Denver, OHSU, Utah

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I will take a look at the ROL thread!

Add Cincinnati to that list.

Why avoid Henry Ford as a DO?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Einstein Healthcare Network (Philadelphia) residency prides themselves on being 1/2 DO 1/2 MD. Morristown, Newark Beth Israel, Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson take DO's.

Last edited:
Hi there!

USMLE Step 1- 242
COMLEX Step 1 - 575
Shelf grades - 70s
Female, white, jewish
Research - none

Emory - 1
Johns Hopkins - 3
Icahn - 0
NYU - 0
USF - 15
ORMC - 1
Georgetown - 0
GW - 2
UF Jacks - 6

I'm a fellow DO student with step1 a bit lower than your's, step2 in the 250s, and 2 strong SLOEs. Your app will be very competitive for EM. Continue to do well in clinicals. Get 2 SLOE's in by 9/30. Take USMLE Step2 this summer so the score (shoot for 240-250's) will be back by the time your ERAS app is submitted.

The ROL thread from this year and last will be key for you to see what types of programs you're interested in and what you'd be competitive for. I wasn't interested in NYC, so I really didn't research those places, but some of my classmates got interviews at Jacobi, Maimo, Hofstra, Stonybrook, Atlantic Health, and Rutgers. As far as the rest of the places on your list, I received invites to Emory and Hopkins, but got rejected or silence from USF, ORMC, GW, and Georgetown. Your best bet to get interviews at those places is probably to do a rotation in NYC and another in the Southeast. VSAS is a pain, so make sure to get all your stuff together now, and apply as soon as each program allows. I think I applied to 10 programs to get my 2 aways.

Oh, and if your school is like mine, and offered no EM advising, then make sure to try to connect with a faculty member at your away rotations. Many are more than willing to help advise rotating students.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a fellow DO student with step1 a bit lower than your's, step2 in the 250s, and 2 strong SLOEs. Your app will be very competitive for EM. Continue to do well in clinicals. Get 2 SLOE's in by 9/30. Take USMLE Step2 this summer so the score (shoot for 240-250's) will be back by the time your ERAS app is submitted.

The ROL thread from this year and last will be key for you to see what types of programs you're interested in and what you'd be competitive for. I wasn't interested in NYC, so I really didn't research those places, but some of my classmates got interviews at Jacobi, Maimo, Hofstra, Stonybrook, Atlantic Health, and Rutgers. As far as the rest of the places on your list, I received invites to Emory and Hopkins, but got rejected or silence from USF, ORMC, GW, and Georgetown. Your best bet to get interviews at those places is probably to do a rotation in NYC and another in the Southeast. VSAS is a pain, so make sure to get all your stuff together now, and apply as soon as each program allows. I think I applied to 10 programs to get my 2 aways.

Oh, and if your school is like mine, and offered no EM advising, then make sure to try to connect with a faculty member at your away rotations. Many are more than willing to help advise rotating students.

Thank you for your advice! To update you I was able to secure 3 aways and have SLOEs from Mount Sinai Miami Beach, Emory, and New York Presbyterian Queens (Newly associated with Cornell). I got my step 2 back and got a 262. Working on getting everything in line for ERAS now! I was able to connect with a faculty member at Emory since I do not have one at my school.

How many programs do you think I should be applying to?

Thank you for your advice! To update you I was able to secure 3 aways and have SLOEs from Mount Sinai Miami Beach, Emory, and New York Presbyterian Queens (Newly associated with Cornell). I got my step 2 back and got a 262. Working on getting everything in line for ERAS now! I was able to connect with a faculty member at Emory since I do not have one at my school.

How many programs do you think I should be applying to?

You're obviously competitive pretty much everywhere. Just apply to locations you would like to spend 3 years at and you'll be fine.

UChicago and CWRU-UH have taken DOs before. You just have to be a stud.

Brooklyn Hospital, SUNY Downstate, Methodist, Staten Island University Hospital, Metropolitan/Harlem, St Barnabas, and Einstein/Jacobi all have taken DOs from my school in EM in the past few years. NYP Queens takes DOs every year too. NYP Main takes them occasionally. Brookdale just opened (in East New York), and Lincoln took a DO from NYCOM last year, though they tend to mostly have St George's residents. I thought it was the busiest ED in the city (and therefore pretty county), but idk anything else about the program.

Einstein Philly seemed like a good program, I worked EMS in Philly and the residents seemed competent and not miserable. I think it was the busiest ED in Philly when I was there, though Temple got more shootings. Temple took a DO from PCOM once, many years ago, but I wouldn't bank on it.

UChicago and CWRU-UH have taken DOs before. You just have to be a stud.

Yep, CWRU-UH has taken DOs.
Rotations at places always help.
Apply broadly and knock out those SLOEs.
Step 2 is highly recommended as well.
At the end of the day, you never know what a program is looking for. Sometimes a person is just a great fit. The first step is to secure that interview, and then interview well.
Apply broadly, and I'm sure you will do well

You need to take USMLE Step 2 CK. EM is getting more and more competitive every year. It's not something you can afford to skip, you'd be doing yourself a disservice and potentially closing doors at some programs.

You need to take USMLE Step 2 CK. EM is getting more and more competitive every year. It's not something you can afford to skip, you'd be doing yourself a disservice and potentially closing doors at some programs.

Agreed it is competitive. I took CK this year! Ended up getting a 262.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, CWRU-UH has taken DOs.
Rotations at places always help.
Apply broadly and knock out those SLOEs.
Step 2 is highly recommended as well.
At the end of the day, you never know what a program is looking for. Sometimes a person is just a great fit. The first step is to secure that interview, and then interview well.
Apply broadly, and I'm sure you will do well

Thank you so much for your advice! I took step 2 and got a 262. Completing my last audition to get my third SLOE now at NYPQ.

Brooklyn Hospital, SUNY Downstate, Methodist, Staten Island University Hospital, Metropolitan/Harlem, St Barnabas, and Einstein/Jacobi all have taken DOs from my school in EM in the past few years. NYP Queens takes DOs every year too. NYP Main takes them occasionally. Brookdale just opened (in East New York), and Lincoln took a DO from NYCOM last year, though they tend to mostly have St George's residents. I thought it was the busiest ED in the city (and therefore pretty county), but idk anything else about the program.

Einstein Philly seemed like a good program, I worked EMS in Philly and the residents seemed competent and not miserable. I think it was the busiest ED in Philly when I was there, though Temple got more shootings. Temple took a DO from PCOM once, many years ago, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Thanks so much for your advice!