DO student looking to match MD EM

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by skinnycatfish10, Mar 7, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. skinnycatfish10

skinnycatfish10

Mar 7, 2017
    Hi there!

I am a OMS3 looking to match to a competitive allopathic Emergency Medicine Residency program, preferably county. I will apply broadly but my dream places to attend are listed below. I am a Tampa native but would like to end up in NYC if at all possible. I plan on applying for elective rotations at all the places listed below to try to get my foot in the door.

Id like to know what you guys think my chances are at this and if there is anything else I could to to improve my application. Here are some stats on myself:

USMLE Step 1- 242
    COMLEX Step 1 - 575
    Shelf grades - 70s
    Female, white, jewish
    Leadership - Mentor, student ambassador, VP of EM club at my school, student trainer at local clinic
    Awards - 2 Academic scholarships from my school
    Employment - Scribe in ED for <10 months before medical school and during my vacation after year 1 of med school
    Research - none

My research so far has consisted of figuring out which programs have taken DOs in the past. Here is what I have found.
    Emory - 1
    Johns Hopkins - 3
    Icahn - 0
    Mount Sinai Beth Israel - 0
    New York Presbyterian - 2
    NYU - 0
    SUNY Downstate - 0 and their application for electives denies DO application
    USF - 15
    ORMC - 1
    Georgetown - 0
    GW - 2
    UF Jacks - 6

With all of this in mind Id be appreciative of any and all advice you guys have for me! If there are other programs in NYC I should be considering please let me know!

Hunjan5 likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Lexdiamondz

Lexdiamondz 5+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Downstate actually does have a few DOs, and I rotated with a few when I did my elective. Beth Israel is actually closing its residency since the hospital is being closed and their residents are being absorbed by St Luke's Roosevelt and Sinai proper.

If you're looking for county programs in NYC, Downstate and Jacobi/Einstein are probably your best bets - NYU isn't known for being particularly DO friendly

4. Fox800

Fox800 That drug that starts with "d"... 10+ Year Member

Take Step 2 CK. You want to make yourself as comparable to your MD colleagues as possible.

5. tux4

tux4

Dec 23, 2015
    Pretty much all of the NY residencies would take a DO except NYU and mt sinai.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

6. skinnycatfish10

skinnycatfish10

Mar 7, 2017
    Thanks so much for replying!

7. skinnycatfish10

skinnycatfish10

Mar 7, 2017
    Thanks for your advice!!

8. alpinism

alpinism Give Em' the Jet Fuel 5+ Year Member

Applying to NYU would just be a waste of money.

Jacobi and Maimonides are probably the most DO friendly programs in NYC.

OnlyOneZlatan likes this.
  9. skinnycatfish10

skinnycatfish10

Mar 7, 2017
    Thanks for your advice!

10. OnlyOneZlatan

OnlyOneZlatan

May 16, 2016
    You're fine as a DO, so long as you have a Step 2 score that is similar or higher than your Step 1, and even then you will be just fine. Take a glimpse at the ROL thread and you will see your potential. EM Programs to avoid as a DO - NYU, Henry Ford, CWRU-UH, UChicago, Northwestern, WashU, UW. The rest are fair game, but some may require that you rotate there like the UCLAs, USC, Denver, OHSU, Utah

11. skinnycatfish10

skinnycatfish10

Mar 7, 2017
    Thanks for your advice!!

12. skinnycatfish10

skinnycatfish10

Mar 7, 2017
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I will take a look at the ROL thread!

13. SpacemanSpifff

SpacemanSpifff 2+ Year Member

May 8, 2012
    Add Cincinnati to that list.

14. MackandBlues

MackandBlues 5+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Why avoid Henry Ford as a DO?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

15. OnlyOneZlatan

OnlyOneZlatan

May 16, 2016
    HF doesn't take DOs (except for their previously DO EM programs). HF Main will not interview a DO, I have asked the program.

16. EastCoastEMApplicant17

EastCoastEMApplicant17

Oct 5, 2016
    Einstein Healthcare Network (Philadelphia) residency prides themselves on being 1/2 DO 1/2 MD. Morristown, Newark Beth Israel, Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson take DO's.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  17. MackandBlues

MackandBlues 5+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Aw darn, I used to work for Henry Ford at their main location.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

18. mds606

mds606 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2013
    I'm a fellow DO student with step1 a bit lower than your's, step2 in the 250s, and 2 strong SLOEs. Your app will be very competitive for EM. Continue to do well in clinicals. Get 2 SLOE's in by 9/30. Take USMLE Step2 this summer so the score (shoot for 240-250's) will be back by the time your ERAS app is submitted.

The ROL thread from this year and last will be key for you to see what types of programs you're interested in and what you'd be competitive for. I wasn't interested in NYC, so I really didn't research those places, but some of my classmates got interviews at Jacobi, Maimo, Hofstra, Stonybrook, Atlantic Health, and Rutgers. As far as the rest of the places on your list, I received invites to Emory and Hopkins, but got rejected or silence from USF, ORMC, GW, and Georgetown. Your best bet to get interviews at those places is probably to do a rotation in NYC and another in the Southeast. VSAS is a pain, so make sure to get all your stuff together now, and apply as soon as each program allows. I think I applied to 10 programs to get my 2 aways.

Oh, and if your school is like mine, and offered no EM advising, then make sure to try to connect with a faculty member at your away rotations. Many are more than willing to help advise rotating students.

runthiscity likes this.