DO Students...Regret Not Taking the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which board exam(s) did you take?

• I took COMLEX and I'm satisified

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • I took COMLEX and regret not taking USMLE

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I took both USMLE and COMLEX and I'm satisfied

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I regret taking USMLE in addition to COMLEX

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm an MS3, soon to be MS4. I did not take the USMLE, because I'm a very, very average/borderline-passing kind of student, and I knew that it was going to be all I could do just to pass COMLEX. I passed all my classes in MS1 & 2 by the skin of my teeth.
And I was right...I just barely (and I mean barely) scraped by and passed COMLEX I on my first attempt. Looking back, had I taken USMLE, I would have failed it for sure. There was just no way, with the other family responsibilites I have in life, that I could have put any additional effort into studying for USMLE.

Now, I'm NOT going into a competitive field. If I was, then I'd probably be in a tight spot. But some students have different priorites than others, and for me, medicine is just a job I'm going to do to pay back my loans and have a comfortable life. (I still love patients and medicine, but you're not going to catch me working one second longer than I absolutely have too).

So think long and hard about what you want to do. And don't tear yourself up if you decide to do COMLEX only.

Members don't see this ad.

just jumping in here, had a few thoughts.

If you are uncertain in any way of what specialty or if you are going to go the AOA vs. ACGME route, I would take the USMLE. So many peope end up changing their minds in terms of specialty in their 3rd year anyway or really love a certain location.

In my 2nd year I contacted ACGME programs and asked if they accepted the COMLEX. Most of the programs said yes, but a few program directors went as far as to tell me that if I realistically wanted to get in that I should take the USMLE. Apples to apples.

I took USMLE I, did well, and applied to only ACGME orthopedic programs. I was granted many interviews and ALL said that it was a good thing that I took USMLE (some didn't even know what COMLEX was or how to interpret the scores).

I didn't take USMLE II and was never asked about it or if I was going to take it. One interviewer actually told me not to. But then again, I have a friend who was asked by ACGME anesthesia interviewers why he didn't take USMLE II. My point it, I think it depends on the specialty. Some programs actually put some weight on Step II as it is more clinical.

Also, for any of you military HPSP students. The military actually says that you don't have to take the USMLE but I found that it was definitely looked at and made a difference (who knows, you might get a civilian deferment).

The caveat is, if you are going to take USMLE then you have to do well. Know your potential and study hard for it. It is a much better worded test and most students I took it with did above average on it. Also, you do NOT have to release the scores if you do not want them sent. USMLE II can also be held and not released during the application process as well.

I think my preclinical education trained me well for USMLE and I'm very glad that I took it and people take notice down the interview trail.

Good luck!

CP

If you want your application (via ERAS) to contain your score report (which is kinda important part of your application), you have to pay the respective organization (NBME or NBOME) $50 to release your scores to ERAS (to make life simplier, ERAS will collect the fee for them). (why does this sound like a shake-down?)

So if you want your COMLEX score available AT ALL (even just 1 program), you need to fork over $50.

If you want your USMLE score available at all (even to just 1 program), you need to fork over $50.

So if you want both USMLE and COMLEX scores available through ERAS, you need to fork over $100. Thankfully it is only a 1 time fee (so it matters not if you send usmle score to only 1 program or 200 programs)

So if you don't want your usmle score to show up on any of your application, just don't check the box that says you took the USMLE, don't check the box that says "report USMLE to THIS program" and just don't pay $50.

*btw, this is a universal rule ... the MD students have to pay $50 to have their USMLE score get released from NBME and go to ERAS.

Just as an aside to this....I took all 3 steps of COMLEX and steps 1 and 2 of USMLE. I only intended on using my COMLEX scores for the purposes of licensure.

However, recently I obtained my FCVS (Federal Credentials Verification Service used in some states for licensure application) packet and I tried to not submit my USMLE scores (they charge an extra $50 fee for this). Well, I got an e-mail and a phone call from FCVS saying that the Federation of State Medical Boards flagged my application because they have record of me taking the USMLE and that those scores need to be submitted. I tried to explain to them that I am not using the USMLE scores for licensure so why should I need to submit the scores. This customer service representative said that all they know is FSMB sends them a letter mandating the scores and if I want my application complete I need to pay the fee. I did not contest this issue but I think it is ridiculous. Even if I had failed USMLE it wouldn't matter because I am not using it for licensure. Just another wallet biopsy that comes with being a DO I guess.

Just wanted to share with you that taking USMLE is a GREAT idea but that I would take it seriously because the scores may always pop up later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm picking up a vibe in this thread that the USMLE is regarded as the more difficult of the two exams, and that if you plan on taking it, you have to study harder than for the COMLEX. This seems to infer that there is a significant difference in the preclinical years between DO and MD schools. Aside from OMM, what is this difference, why is it there, and what does it mean in terms of the preclinical education? It would seem that the only real difference between education and exams would be OMM.

I agree with most of the comments stated above. It is in your best interest to take the USMLE Step 1. HOWEVER, ONLY TAKE IT IF YOU CAN DO WELL (OR BEAT THE MEAN, 217)!!! I cannot stress this enough.

How do you know how you will perform on the USMLE? By taking the online NBME exams ($45 each, there are 4 of them total). These tests are a very good predictor of how you will do on the real exam as they are retired USMLE questions.

I urge all DO's students to man up, dish out the $45, and take AT LEAST 1 of the NBME exams before taking the USMLE. There are too many foolios sitting for this exam without adequate prep and ruining the stats for the DO's (~70% pass rate for the USMLE!).

Ok, I'm done rambling...

I'm picking up a vibe in this thread that the USMLE is regarded as the more difficult of the two exams, and that if you plan on taking it, you have to study harder than for the COMLEX. This seems to infer that there is a significant difference in the preclinical years between DO and MD schools. Aside from OMM, what is this difference, why is it there, and what does it mean in terms of the preclinical education? It would seem that the only real difference between education and exams would be OMM.

I have no idea how you infered that, but while the COMLEX is an easier exam, the classes and testing during preclinical years at DO schools is very challenging and equal to those of any MD school (including top programs). The comlex is easier because it is different, focusing a lot on OMM theories vs. USMLE that focuses on physiology and biochem. This does not mean that we DOs don't learn physiology or biochem.

I think the DO preclinical education is excellent and will prepare you for the USMLE no problem in terms of material. The USMLE has more biochemistry and molecular biology, but biochem is biochem regardless of MD vs. DO.

The difference is that the USMLE has more questions over these topics vs. the COMLEX. I think the USMLE is a much better written exam and DO students are geared/taught for the COMLEX format of questions.

I just studied First Aid in addition to reinforce what I learned in the first 2 years...and I felt that was more than enough. If you're going to take it, make sure you study USMLE format questions and it's true that the USMLE is a double edged sword. If you are going to take it, you do have to do well.

Just my thoughts. I think DO students are just intimidated by the USMLE. I think most students in my class who took it scored about the mean.

CP

I agree with most of the comments stated above. It is in your best interest to take the USMLE Step 1. HOWEVER, ONLY TAKE IT IF YOU CAN DO WELL (OR BEAT THE MEAN, 217)!!! I cannot stress this enough.

Ive been stressing this point for three years now (check my posts). Its only valuable to you if you can beat the mean.

As far as reporting scores, every PD at an allo program will ask you if you took USMLE, so dont lie. And then the decision 'not to report' will look a little embarrassing.