DO: the underdog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thats when you get off this damn site and go study, go outside, go volunteer, go take a poop, or do something else productive...

y'all are nuts.

thanks for reminding me! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Thats when you get off this damn site and go study, go outside, go volunteer, go take a poop, or do something else productive...

y'all are nuts.

CODrummer, you're wasting your time. That troll needs to have the last word in everything, even if its posts detract from the argument, just so it can sleep at night.

Don't feed the troll ok?

I'm going back to studying for my exam tomorrow, then out to the bar, since I agree. We need to maintain our real life outside of petty SDN arguments.

Members don't see this ad :)
is... is my silent treatment over? :soexcited::clap::highfive::barf: (oh... got so excited it made me a little queasy....)

I could go back and quote all of the specific instances but you have been brimming with comments similar to "oh well we wont let the man keep us down!". You have compared difficulties of DO to the civil rights movement of african americans, and you have compared having a DO to having an MD/PhD because it is MD+ .... so please, pepsquad, do not get your poms all in a bunch now. You need to just chill a little bit :thumbup::laugh:

But hey! that "men get suckered by women" comment is a cheapshot! but all too true I suppose... thats why Lifetime dedicated a whole movie network to it :rofl:

Do whatever you want with your career. I am of the opinion that if I find myself at any sort of a disadvantage I plan on coming out swinging rather than hoping the other guy trips (am I being too vague with the metaphors?)

Dude, it's ok, we're saying 'black' now...

stelle+interns.jpg

It's always fun to watch someone argue who has no idea what they're saying, and has no credibility whatsoever.

Nonetheless, an entertaining read.

yugioh.jpg

By the way... I just read through the last 2 pages of this thread and got some good laughs. SpecterGT, for laying down some realism, I give you this delicious cupcake. You can split it with RiverRat.

anti-cupcake.jpg

It's always fun to watch someone argue who has no idea what they're saying, and has no credibility whatsoever.

yugioh.jpg

legit. thanks for the cupcake :thumbup: It was delicious, but not as delicious as that same dramatic irony that started us off on this adventure

Wow, and I thought I got into some crazy discussions.

SpecterGT260 said:
p.s. I bet I hit a little closer to home with the user name thing than you would ever admit ;) 25MCAT and 3.6 gpa? ish? Good thing you are so pro-DO and I bet it has nothing to do with being the only reasonable option available to you :thumbup: There is nothing wrong with being an underdog and beating the odds. But this retaliatory pseudo-elitism (DO=MD/PhD) / victimization (unfounded bias) is just off the wall crazy.

Haha, you really wanna go to the MD/PhD thread? I was poking fun at the matter, but you're...again...an idiot to really have taken it seriously.

25 MCAT? Like I said you have no idea what you're saying. I don't take my MCAT till Aug 10th, and I certainly am not aiming for no 25 lol.

I found this days ago and wasn't going to say anything but come on...don't lie now. You're now lying to make it seem like you were right. Just own up to it. You got a 25 on the MCAT and spectre called you out on it. And now you're lying.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10295888&postcount=1

So I decided to enroll as a 2nd Degree student right after graduation to retake courses and take new ones. These are my stats:

My cGPA: 3.1
My science GPA with replacements: 3.3
MCAT: 25Q

300 hours hospital volunteering
100 hours suicide mentoring
10 hours doctor shadowing

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I'm feeling down after how mean she's been to me I can call her up as part of her regular volunteering! :rofl:

Good thing it's quoted in case she goes back to edit it out leaving "problem solved" like she did yesterday for her comment comparing the struggles of DOs to civil rights :rolleyes:

Last edited:
SDN, destroying the souls of the less informed with class.

I found this days ago and wasn't going to say anything but come on...don't lie now. You're now lying to make it seem like you were right. Just own up to it. You got a 25 on the MCAT and spectre called you out on it. And now you're lying.

Wow, that is pretty funny actually. I always find it highly amusing when people suddenly realize that the DO philosophy is totally for them and that is why they are applying to DO programs. More often than not, when further scrutinizing things, it is because of a low gpa/mcat. Ahhh it amuses me.

Dude... you part of the team that brought down Herman Cain, too? Opposition research ain't nothing nice. :laugh:

Instate is in the major leagues compared to those chumps, plus he said he had been holding on to it until the lying began. That's was actually really kind.

This doesn't phase me one bit :laugh:.

The post that was marked in 2010 was during the time I was considering taking the MCAT and decided to theoretically put that I got a 25 in order to see people's feedback because I honestly was not confident in my abilities during that time and I had a different mindset. So yes, I did lie, but not about the score, but about having taken the test already.

The most recent post was put under my name, but my college friend nearly had the same stats as me, and she did not have an SDN profile, nor did she know about SDN or was interested in making one, so I did her the favor of posting her stats as me so that she can see that she had the chance to make it as well. Unfortunately she dropped out of premed and is going for DPT.

Anyways, my friend who you all know "Iliketoytles" knows me outside of SDN and can serve as witness that I haven't taken the MCAT till this August.

Whether you and the troll believe me or not, is beyond my care, since what you do and think does not affect me in ANY kind of way, especially when with your kinds of attitudes, it seems you guys must be miserable outside of life that the only thing that brings up your self-esteem is saying ur a med student/resident. Not to mention, having too much time on your hands, trying to dig up "dirt" on random online strangers like a bunch of people with no real lives.

I mean honestly...if you want me to give you constructive criticism, GO GET LAID! :laugh:

i6bdrb.jpg

Last edited:
This doesn't phase me one bit :laugh:.

Anyways, my friend who you all know "Iliketoytles" knows me outside of SDN and can serve as witness that I haven't taken the MCAT till this August.

I mean honestly...if you want me to give you constructive criticism, GO GET LAID!

So feel free to wipe my @$$ :laugh:
]
Priceless.... Iliketoytles seems like they'd be a freakin awesome person to know in person. L

Priceless.... Iliketoytles seems like they'd be a freakin awesome person to know in person. L

He's an amazing humble guy with a good upbringing. He's gonna make a great physician guaranteed.

priceless. Trollers gunna troll
you don't seem to know what that word means, do you?

Last edited:
Ugh... this thread is rapidly deteriorating and will probably be locked very soon.

Onco, the amount of word spinning and blatant insults you're throwing around will get you banned.

Ugh... this thread is rapidly deteriorating and will probably be locked very soon.

Onco, the amount of word spinning and blatant insults you're throwing around will get you banned.

thats the key, there oncoDO :p its all fun and games until someone gets butthurt enough to call someone else an idi*t :eek:

yugioh.jpg

wait... he is talking about me?

By the way... I just read through the last 2 pages of this thread and got some good laughs. SpecterGT, for laying down some realism, I give you this delicious cupcake. You can split it with RiverRat.

anti-cupcake.jpg

The cupcake is a LIE!!!!!!!
:rofl:

I agree. I shouldn't have lowered myself to that level. I'll go edit it. I'm better than that.

Few of us have had attitudes. You've been posting about DGAFing what current residents and medical students have to say and telling them to go get laid. I doubt anyone wants to see you fail, rather advice was being given about the realistic climate that faces DOs matching into allopathic programs. I think you have a great outlook, but the whole f*** off attitude will hurt you in the long run.

Last edited:
Few of us have had attitudes. You've been posting about DGAFing what current residents and medical students have to say and telling them to go get laid. I doubt anyone wants to see you fail, rather advice was being given about the realistic climate that faces DOs matching into allopathic programs. I think you have a great outlook, but you the whole f*** off attitude will hurt you in the long run.

Honestly, I've had zero attitude going into this thread. If you look at my history, I'm not a troll, I don't go around with debates (unlike some others) and I don't purposely start drama for the thrill ride. I get along with nearly everyone I speak to. I only gave attitude with two particular individuals who were picking on me first. I completely respect what medical students and residents have to say, but when they decide to use condescending and sarcastic tones making it seem like I'm some sort of naive fool when my message was extremely reasonable, that is where I need defend my ground.

All I said was that I acknowledged the fact that DOs do have an upward hill when it comes to residencies/fellowships. I NEVER denied that fact. I was very realistic. I used the civil rights movement (maybe I could've used a better example) to use the GENERAL IDEA that when you feel the odds are against you, to not get discouraged by what negative people have to say and give up on your dreams. Understand what your obstacles are, inform yourself on all your options available to you, and really work through them. Nothing in life is guaranteed, but honestly those that are fighters really have a chance to make a difference for themselves.

I started to notice how some people honestly kept bringing down those who wants to aspire high saying how "this is impossible, and that is impossible, unless you're the exception to the rule" etc etc etc. but who wants to live with that kind of mentality? How many scientists got bashed in their time for coming up with crazy ideas and their colleagues just laughed at them. These "crazy" scientists are in the textbooks we have been reading throughout our lives today due to making a difference for themselves, which in turn served as examples and role models to the rest of the community. That is what triggered my response.

So when I have the glass-half empty "I'm above you" elitist resident who decides to really use a condescending tone and really try to put me down because since of course they have graduated med school, now feel everything out of their mouth is made of gold, that I'm supposed to be like "omg I'm so sorry; you're absolutely right. This program has only one DO, let me drop that idea from my head." :bow:

Or when you have the medical student who LOVES debating, who literally only skimmed through my post, deviated from my main ideas, and then bash me with attitude on things that I did not say (which he implied by his own thought process) praxtically saying that I should also keep my mouth shut, take the negativity and walk away.

Not everyone that is a med student or resident know everything, or is educated enough to really give advice to every topic out there. How many attendings and doctors have said to others "you have no chance" and proved them wrong. I mean take into consideration the attending who was nice enough to share her story. I admire her because she was spoken down by people who should have been credible because they had a title above her, but still achieved her goals of becoming a physician.

If all this sounds unreasonable, unrealistic, naive, or anything related to of the such, then the problem does not lie with me, it lies with them.

Lastly, I was only using a DGAF attitude with those two, because they were the biggest pricks who felt that I needed to stay quiet because nothing I was saying made sense to them, and they kept on with condescending, sarcastic, petty comments (which I should've ignored from the start).

I would never conduct myself like that in person with people that actually mattered and could affect my life for better or worse. Thanks for reaching out to me. You seem reasonable person and I respect your comment.

Last edited:
352ehq.jpg

Joo guys are too nice to me and not enough to each other. I think this whole thing is just a misunderstanding. From what I know of Onco, she's not a dummy... so she knows what's realistic and what isn't. She just wants us to be more uplifting and motivational with our truths. The initial ra-ra post was a bit over the top, and I think that's what raised Specter's eyebrows a bit... and he/she just wanted to keep things grounded.

35roee.jpg

I'm just glad that there's still hope for us future-DO's to get into Hopkins' NS.
:)

Honestly, I've had zero attitude going into this thread.

Or when you have the medical student who LOVES debating, who literally only skimmed through my post, deviated from my main ideas, and then bash me with attitude on things that I did not say (which he implied by his own thought process) praxtically saying that I should also keep my mouth shut, take the negativity and walk away.

Not everyone that is a med student or resident know everything, or is educated enough to really give advice to every topic out there. How many attendings and doctors have said to others "you have no chance" and proved them wrong. I mean take into consideration the attending who was nice enough to share her story. I admire her because she was spoken down by people who should have been credible because they had a title above her, but still achieved her goals of becoming a physician.

If all this sounds unreasonable, unrealistic, naive, or anything related to of the such, then the problem does not lie with me, it lies with them.

Lastly, I was only using a DGAF attitude with those two, because they were the biggest pricks .
in order of highlighted:
1) see below for my feelings on "i didnt have attitude"
2)Guilty as charged. The current PC "everyone has opinions" business is nonsense. I've learned a lot in all of these threads by being argumentative an also shared a lot of ideas. I dont plan to stop any time soon.
3)Agreed. However it is a good idea not to argue with things that would otherwise be first hand knowledge with people that have been there/done that
4)I doubt many attendings have told people "you wont make it". At least not in this context.... They have other things to worry about, dont often interact with pre-meds other than shadowing, and it doesnt make a lot of sense to say that to a med student or resident who likely WILL make it....
5)Lets keep talk of genitals out of this.... penis envy is not a good reason to behave the way you have....

so on to this whole "I didnt have attitude" business... a little story shall we?

instatewaiter said this to you in regards to some anecdote you used.
She's the norm? That's why she is the only DO out of 150 part time and full time peds faculty? Interesting take... especially for a very DO-friendly specialty.

I looked at NYUs faculty list. There are only 31 DOs at NYU. Of course there are 1,965 full time faculty at NYU... making DOs make up 1.5% of NYU. Since there are 5 or 6 DO schools in close proximity I wouldn't exactly chalk that one up in the win column.

I realize you are trying to look through rosy glasses but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
This is pretty benign... and for the record... you are the only one in this thread to call any names or hurl direct insults :rolleyes:. "interesting take" and "rosy glasses" really isnt that offensive. He is just saying you are stretching. thats all.

but it elicited this response:

No I'm not getting ahead of myself, actually. If anything you seem to insist on viewing things from a "glass half empty" perspective. Secondly, I didn't say anything to your first reply, but since you're doing it again, I'm gonna tell you this once: don't get sarcastic with me, because I don't put up with condescending tones from anyone. So get your attitude back down to the ground.

Anyways back to the topic:
see, I like people who are too big for their britches.... but not when those britches are yoga pants :uhno: (not a sexist remark... just a side thought that popped into my head when I used the metaphor)

to which I responded

Im curious to see what, exactly, would happen....

btw, state boundaries arent necessarily fair for assessing "closeness". You can fit most of new england inside of a good number of states as you head west :confused:
I later said something comparing you to a venomless snake, or a yapping chihuahua (bark vs bite sort of thing...), but I dont remember exactly what.

I will own up to being argumentative. No problems there. But the majority of this was in response to you straight calling out a resident who only told you to be a little more conservative with your interpretation of figures.

You would have been a blip of over-eager nonsense except for that, but I wasnt lying when I said I was interested to see what would happen. basically, you get angry, spin circles, call names, and then triumphantly post while a series of people only ask for the thread to die. I still don't buy the MCAT in august thing. I believe you are taking it again, but I dont understand why someone who re-enrolled for grade replacement with the initial undergrad plan of med school would make up an MCAT # and not say so. Seemed oddly specific. Especially when every other pre-med who has yet at least indicates in the language. Furthermore you "aint plannin for no 25" per your comment above but per your old thread... apparently you are :idea:

but anyways, it sure was fun :thumbup: until next time OncoDO :xf:

in order of highlighted:
1) see below for my feelings on "i didnt have attitude"
2)Guilty as charged. The current PC "everyone has opinions" business is nonsense. I've learned a lot in all of these threads by being argumentative an also shared a lot of ideas. I dont plan to stop any time soon.
3)Agreed. However it is a good idea not to argue with things that would otherwise be first hand knowledge with people that have been there/done that
4)I doubt many attendings have told people "you wont make it". At least not in this context.... They have other things to worry about, dont often interact with pre-meds other than shadowing, and it doesnt make a lot of sense to say that to a med student or resident who likely WILL make it....
5)Lets keep talk of genitals out of this.... penis envy is not a good reason to behave the way you have....

so on to this whole "I didnt have attitude" business... a little story shall we?

instatewaiter said this to you in regards to some anecdote you used.

This is pretty benign... and for the record... you are the only one in this thread to call any names or hurl direct insults :rolleyes:. "interesting take" and "rosy glasses" really isnt that offensive. He is just saying you are stretching. thats all.

but it elicited this response:

see, I like people who are too big for their britches.... but not when those britches are yoga pants :uhno: (not a sexist remark... just a side thought that popped into my head when I used the metaphor)

to which I responded

I later said something comparing you to a venomless snake, or a yapping chihuahua (bark vs bite sort of thing...), but I dont remember exactly what.

I will own up to being argumentative. No problems there. But the majority of this was in response to you straight calling out a resident who only told you to be a little more conservative with your interpretation of figures.

You would have been a blip of over-eager nonsense except for that, but I wasnt lying when I said I was interested to see what would happen. basically, you get angry, spin circles, call names, and then triumphantly post while a series of people only ask for the thread to die. I still don't buy the MCAT in august thing. I believe you are taking it again, but I dont understand why someone who re-enrolled for grade replacement with the initial undergrad plan of med school would make up an MCAT # and not say so. Seemed oddly specific. Especially when every other pre-med who has yet at least indicates in the language. Furthermore you "aint plannin for no 25" per your comment above but per your old thread... apparently you are :idea:

but anyways, it sure was fun :thumbup: until next time OncoDO :xf:

You are set on your ways and I am set on mine. Good luck with your career (honestly) and until never!

I say we translocate the video game discussion from the other thread to this one. Or maybe another discussion... We already did cereal and childhood snacks.

Oh btw, I ate a big watermelon today and feel like going to the store to get another one. They're so GOOD. I wish mangos were easier to cut... they're so messy, but taste so good too.

Damn know-it-alls. Think you know everything. Just because you're in medical school and it says medical student under your name you think you're better than me, huh. Don't pretend like you have experienced things I haven't or know things that I don't know. And resident? I'm not impressed. I mean, I live somewhere too. That makes me a resident, but you don't see me going around and bragging about it.

As far as I'm concerned you are all just a bunch of show-off know-it-alls who are trying to bring me down. And that leaves a very, very bad taste in my mouth.

I say we translocate the video game discussion from the other thread to this one. Or maybe another discussion... We already did cereal and childhood snacks.

Oh btw, I ate a big watermelon today and feel like going to the store to get another one. They're so GOOD. I wish mangos were easier to cut... they're so messy, but taste so good too.

Hope the watermelon was seedless...kinda hate those seeds, unless u cook them then they taste real good---no joke

seedless_watermelon.jpg

anyone else get really pissed when the "seedless" watermelon is still full of those little white ones?

I could go for a coconut though...my dad always brings the huge green ones or the small brown one during this time of year =/ he's slacking lol

2u57x91.png

Last edited:
I could go for a coconut though...my dad always brings the huge green ones or the small brown one during this time of year =/ he's slacking lol

2u57x91.png

How do you guys crack open a cocunut...like really. Every time i buy one i kinda ruin the whole thing before getting to the good stuff!!!!!

Hope the watermelon was seedless...kinda hate those seeds, unless u cook them then they taste real good---no joke

seedless_watermelon.jpg

Yeaahh. I get the small ones that are a little smaller than a basketball. I cut them in half and eat right out of it... the outside skin makes its own bowl, ha.

I actually just swallow the seeds. Good source of fiber. If you bite into the seeds, you increase the caloric count by like 3x, since digested seeds have a lot more calories than the watermelon itself. Otherwise, it'll pass right through you. So next time... swallow. :eek: ;)

I like the brown ones a lot more than the green ones. The green ones are common in the middle east, but the coconut milk is really more like water, and kind of bitter/sour. The brown ones are a lot more sweet.