Do these classes count towards the Science GPA for MD schools ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustTooLit

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that in order to count as sGPA for MD schools the classes need to have a BIO/CHEM/PHYS/MATH/STATS heading.
I was wondering if these classes would count:
Ecology of the Five Boroughs
Scientific Principles of Forensic Science
Chemistry of Cooking
Toxin or Not
The Incredible Living Machine: The Human Body
All of these classes have a SCI heading
I know that it sounds weird, but I am in the middle of a post bacc year to increase my GPA and I have run out of Bio courses that I can take (Only am able to take 10 credits of them in spring) so I need other courses to fill the void.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that in order to count as sGPA for MD schools the classes need to have a BIO/CHEM/PHYS/MATH/STATS heading.
Chemistry of Cooking
Toxin or Not
I know that it sounds weird, but I am in the middle of a post bacc year to increase my GPA and I have run out of Bio courses that I can take (Only am able to take 10 credits of them in spring) so I need other courses to fill the void.
These sound like Mockbuster movie titles for real science classes. I doubt any of these would count towards your sGPA.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
These sound like Mockbuster movie titles for real science classes. I doubt any of these would count towards your sGPA.
Sheit not even ecology ?Believe me I even thought these classes were a joke when I first read em LOL. But so far I only have Genetics, Pathology and Sexual Biology that I can take next sem from the bio courses... need at least 6 more credits

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I'm not sure. But even if they did then adcoms would be able to see that your sGPA raised by taking what appears to be 100% blow-off, non-major classes and would likely be less than impressed. Yes, the grades matter but they are also colored by the content/difficulty of the class in the impression it gives.

Reactions: 1 user
Sheit not even ecology ?Believe me I even thought these classes were a joke when I first read em LOL. But so far I only have Genetics, Pathology and Sexual Biology that I can take next sem from the bio courses... need at least 6 more credits
AAMC has course classifications for science GPA. Pretty sure they need to fall under categories of Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math. Doubt ecology would ever be considered for those, and I don’t think chemistry of cooking would either. Remember the point of this distinction is to have a quick metric to gauge your preparedness for medical school. Knowing the flora and fauna of the Bronx probably won’t go far in demonstrating this.

AAMC has course classifications for science GPA. Pretty sure they need to fall under categories of Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math. Doubt ecology would ever be considered for those, and I don’t think chemistry of cooking would either. Remember the point of this distinction is to have a quick metric to gauge your preparedness for medical school. Knowing the flora and fauna of the Bronx probably won’t go far in demonstrating this.
Ecology is BPCM. It falls under the bio heading. There is a chart for course classifications somewhere on AAMC that says this. I took ecology and it was approved BPCM just fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Chemistry of Cooking
Toxin or Not

Only ecology would be BPCM. All others look like anthropology type courses.

Yeah I saw ecology is under the bio tag but it feels like the other classes won’t really count. Does every ecology class count or only the standard one ?

If the content is >50% science (BCPM content), then it should count towards your sGPA. It'll also help if the courses are offered under a Bio, Physiology, or Chem department, but it isn't necessary.

Now, how they are perceived by adcoms is a completely different story. I don't think A's in these courses will necessarily help; they'll be neutral.

Chemistry of Cooking
Toxin or Not

Scientific Principles of Forensic Science would pass for BCPM. The others would count as "all other." The rest are BS classes and will be viewed as such by anyone that actually looks beyond the AMCAS calculations.

Not necessarily. You could start an "ecology of college dorm" classes which would not be BCPM.

Ecology is science

Ecology is science

Ecology can refer to a branch of science, e.g., an ecology and evolutionary biology course. That would absolutely be science. On the other hand, ecology is a broad term and can be defined more broadly as the patterns and relationship of organisms and their environment. An ecology of the Burroughs course might be a biology course, but it could also be an anthropology type course (e.g. sociology of human interacting in an urban area if it is referring to the boroughs of NYC for instance). What I'm saying is that we need a description and/or syllabus for that one.

Another question.
So I have taken a class called Nutrition and Food Science at my previous school but it was under the Nutrition class banner. What would happen if I took Biological Nutrition under the Bio banned ? Would they be counted as the same class or different. There would be no use taking it if it counts as the same because I have gotten an A in the previous Nutrition class.