DO transfer to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotinwoof

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has any DOs been able to transfer to a MD school? I don't need a debate on the reasonings to why, just if it is possible. I know Carribean MDs have been able to transfer back into the mainland, but which has a higher success rate, Carribean or DOs? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a guy that did...he finished his second year in a DO program, took the USMLE, passed...but they still made him repeat his second year. Not worth it.

Of the three people I know that have tried, only one was successful. Back then, I thought about transfering myself, but looking back I am gald I didn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're so concerned about a debate, you should contact the schools that interest you directly. I am assuming the thought has not crossed your mind, or you are too lazy to do this. Whatever the case may be, here it goes...

Yes, it is possible. It depends on the school. Robert Wood Johnson (NJ) is one place that will take a DO transfer. However, that is contigent upon them having room in the class to which you apply, which I am told has not happened in quite some time due to extremely low attrition. I have also been told that it is much easier to transfer as a DO student than as a foreign medical student (note to foreign med students: I am not trying to offend, I am merely stating the information that has been given to me).

Some schools won't even consider you. As mentioned earlier, others will make you repeat a year or simply start over.

Now for the debate you dread so much. If you are not going to finish at a DO school, don't go there. You will only be taking away a spot for that year from someone who is qualified to go to med school, and delaying their education. Most MD schools would make you repeat a year or two anyway, so suck it up and go to grad school for a while (or do research or whatever). Make yourself more competitive that way.

I happen to know that George Washington University does.

Medical schools (DO or MD) typically lose the most number of students between first and second year - b/c 1st year is the hardest. Thus, transfering is usually done at the 2nd year mark and usually has to do 1st with whether or not the med school one desires to transfer into has any vacancies.

Considering that most med schools will try as hard as possible to retain a student (a lost student is lost revenue for x number of years), if they are unsuccessful in keeping a student at their school, they will begin accepting transfer students.

The question then becomes how competitive are you and how well to you match what the school is looking for in a student. Usually, schools that have larger entering classes (eg, 200 +) are the ones that accept the largest number of transfers. A couple of reasons - The more who start, the more who are likely to quit, fail, drop or transfer... And, a larger class usually means greater diversity in the student body, thus and perhaps, a greater chance to transfer in, especially if you are jumping disciplines.

Keep in mind, any school considering you for a transfer will most likely look at your undergrad gpa and mcat in addition to your school rank and board/test scores.

If your school has sufficiently good rotations (e.g. COMP), why would you want to switch to MD? Just do the time and go out and practice. Your patients don't care about the degree, they just want to get better. See? All better.

Listen to Nike, and just D.O. it! :clap: :clap:

To answer your question, yes it's possible. I did. Just call the schools and ask if they accept transfers from DO schools. In Illinois for example, UIC, Finch, and Southern do, while Rush, Loyola, and Prizker don't. Strange as Loyola has plenty of DO's in residency.

Many people who leave DO programs at the end of the first year start over at MD schools. That's because they reapplied through AMCAS, they never applied to transfer.

So long as you've taken and passed USMLE step 1 you shouldn't have to retake the 2nd year. But, the bottom line is that the odds are against you - your best bet is to apply for 1st year entry through AMCAS if you feel that you must move from DO to MD.

Everyone has their own reasons for doing things...but if you are doing it because of "residency options"...hell, half my class are doing allopathic residencies (including myself in EM). If you are doing it because of $$$... you will most likely have to repeat a year (like my good friend - even after passing the USMLE 1)...so take that into consideration.
If you really don't want to be a DO, I would say don't go to an osteopathic program...that takes a seat away from someone who DOES.

Honestly I don't care...I graduate med school in June and I am attending an allopathic residency in EM.
Insecure?? Just willing to dispell myths. All I can tell you is that I have friends doing Neurosurgery, IM (loyola, creighton, SC, Rush etc), ENT, ortho, psych (IU, Wake, Wash U.), gen surg (cal, nebraska) and EM all over the place...myths amoung undergrads and premeds abound. If you are willing to transfer based upon a myth or fear of rejection...then go for it.
I went through the EXACT same fearful process...unsure of myself and where my degree may lead me...would I transfer or not. BUT I soon realized that one creates his/her own opportunities! Hey, I am not here to talk you out of anything...what I am trying to do is to tell you the real shibby.
Good luck in your "decision making", it is truly difficult. The next 4 years are scary for you and everyone once they enter school. Many times different tracks lead to the same station and you didn't even know it.
Ya never know, you may be MY student when I am a PGY3 resident!

You CAN do medical missions and do clinical rotations out of the country! One of my best friends got back from a MS4 one month rotation in central america last week (he did everything from OBGYN to surg to EM). Each year "D.O. Care" goes to Guatemala for a month. No one will keep you from medical missions...obtaining a permenent license to practice in a foreign country is EXTREMELY difficult regardless of DO or MD, for political and nationalistic reasons (as any MBBS that wants to practice in the "home of the free"!) But medical missions are no big deal.

T/pie - I've never thought about the timetable, but I remember at the end of my first year about 6 people left. Two of them went to MD progs and started over. I never spoke to them so I don't know the details. It would be interesting to know if their apps showed any detail of the year at DO school. They might just not have mentioned it, but that strikes me as a dumb risk to take. Then again, if the MD school does know then they're going to ask you some pretty searching questions. And, I certainly wouldn't look forward to going to the Dean to say I was leaving at the end of the 1st year - it was difficult enough at the end of the 2nd year!

I recall seeing a case of someone on these forums who was in his 3rd year doing rotations at a carribean school and started over at the Medical College of Georgia (I think). I think he received a full scholarship and took an MD/PhD program. My point being that in the area of transfers you will come across some unusual cases. Bottom line is if you don't ask you won't get.