Transferring Credits to a Masters Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MO232

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any masters programs out there where one can transfer already completed courses in Medical school to obtain a masters degree? I am looking to help a local community college by teaching some online courses, but I need a graduate degree to do so per the school's requirements. They require a masters degree plus 15 credits in biology, so the degree can legit be in anything, as I already have the credits through med school.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you're going to be able to do this unless you've finished the first two years of med school. Taking fragmentation of each course during first two years isn't adequate to count as a Master's degree.

Ask your school if you can work in a master's from the credit you already have in something like anatomy. But realistically schools are not in the business of handing out free masters degree's you will likely need to take additional classes. defend a thesis, or do some other things required.

None of this makes any sense in the context of completing medical school, as it will take extra time for you to finish this, detract from your studies, and possibly lose a year of attending salary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt you're going to be able to do this unless you've finished the first two years of med school. Taking fragmentation of each course during first two years isn't adequate to count as a Master's degree.

I have only two courses left before completing my didactic portion of medical school. I was hoping to help teach a class or two online for the community college during years 3-4 while I'm out on rotations.

You could likely find some "Professional Studies" or Liberal Studies" type master's program out there where you could basically just design your own degree. If your primary motive here is just to complete a graduate degree for the sake of teaching, then there are tons of for-profit schools who will cheerfully work with you with generous transfer policies and take your money. It's up to you whether you really wish to add a school like this to your resume, though. (Once you do it, it will kind of be out there forever.)

That all said if I understand your plan here correctly, you are wanting to transfer med school credits to a master's program, but then still utilize these credits to complete your medical degree? Is this correct? If so, have you considered the ethical implications of such a move? Very few graduate programs will allow the transfer of credits that were applied to a prior degree. Thus, if you were discovered down the road doing this, you might be forced to resign/forfeit one (or both) of the degrees. This could be professionally catastrophic, obviously. And it could potentially impact your professional reputation.

That all said, if I am misunderstanding your situation, please simply disregard any irrelevant parts of this reply comment.

Regards from Idaho