General Admissions & OTCAS Do verbal GRE scores weigh heavier than Quant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OThopeful_*

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone knows how heavily the quantitative section is weighed on the GRE? I am pretty sure I have a form of dyslexic math (it exists. It's called Dyscalculia). Any who, I scored okay on my verbal and my writing and i'm confident with a bit more studying I can reach a higher score. However, I am terrified of the quant bringing down my overall average.
I'm on Magoosh, went through TWO tutors, have a 5lb practice book and a Kaplan book, alas my brain doesn't grasp anything. 🙁

I've taken the GRE twice.
1st time: 141
2nd time: 145

With my second scores, I do meet the bare minimum for the programs (USC, CSUDH), but I'm really shooting for something higher.

My verbal is 158 and a AWA is a 4.

Any advice?

Thank you!
 
Your verbal score is awesome! As long as your combined score is above 300 I think you're fine. I'd say focus on applying for now, and if a school asks you to retake, then you can do it then. I do honestly think the verbal score is a bit more important, and you're definitely not the only person who has quantitative scores lower than their verbal!
 
Schools look at overall score generally. Specific schools would let you know if they do want a minimum for writing or qualitative.