DO versus St. George/ Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize the discussions I'm getting on here are becoming less and less relevant to the thread (and the reapplicant forum in general). Unless I have an urgent need to respond, I'll try to abstain from posting in this thread because I don't think the tangent discussions are particularly relevant to the OP's concerns.

But Chisel and PathOne, I'm PMing you responses.

Phil :)

Members don't see this ad.

I want to keep the thread alive. I'm opening an offshore osteopathic medical school. JAMMAN, I was not talking to you. :idea:

EPA7X1 said:
I want to keep the thread alive. I'm opening an offshore osteopathic medical school. JAMMAN, I was not talking to you. :idea:

$20 says these pop up during our lifetime. Starting your own medical school is a brilliant business idea. Huge demand for physicians and a shortage, and insufficient supply in the market? Fill the gap, get rich.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
$20 says these pop up during our lifetime. Starting your own medical school is a brilliant business idea. Huge demand for physicians and a shortage, and insufficient supply in the market? Fill the gap, get rich.

I have been looking for some easy money. :D

a fact,

in 2003,2004, us new and world report decided that Mich State U DO is better than 121 US medical schools, (4th place) in primary care.

in 2005, #15,

DO IT :love:

babylon doc said:
a fact,

in 2003,2004, us new and world report decided that Mich State U DO is better than 121 US medical schools, (4th place) in primary care.

in 2005, #15,

DO IT :love:

and what they say makes all the difference :p

Chisel said:
Where are the stats to back-up your ridiculous claims. "Speaking from experience" - what experiences do you have? One or two examples. Even if you have five examples, I wouldn't call that "experience."

Why is it that some MS (whether MD or DO) always become involved in the MD is better than DO thing or that a constant defense of the DO degree is needed.

I will put my degree against any other MS degree when I finish.

A Dr. is a Dr. We all learn the same info. Last time I checked Biochem at an Allopathic school is the same as Biochem at a DO school or at an off shore school.

We're all going to be colleagues someday. Will those who type about the inferiority of the DO degree on SDN be so confrontational when they deal with a colleague who has DO after his/her name?

Chisel
PCOM MSIII

My experience is five years worth of interviewing hundreds of applicants for residency and fellowship positions. After the interviews are over, the committee does go into a little room and debates about all of the applicants. When the chief states that he would rather have a foreign MD than a DO, then that quite a statement. And when that statement is amplified by the program director, it carries alot of weight.

Believe what you want, but behind closed doors, this is the kind of discussion that goes on. And I am certain that these discussions are not unique to our institution. Of course, I will admit that the staff are all US MDs. In fact, there is only one DO surgeon in all specialties at our hospital.

To carry matters further, several applicants over the years have asked about whether FMGs or DOs are/were in the program in order to measure the strength of a progam.

I did not state that a DO or FMG is inferior. I am stating facts from my personal experiences regarding resident selection. If you have been involved in resident selection then feel free to provide input. Whether this bias is justified or not, I have observed it in the resident selection process.

JAMMAN said:
My experience is five years worth of interviewing hundreds of applicants for residency and fellowship positions. After the interviews are over, the committee does go into a little room and debates about all of the applicants. When the chief states that he would rather have a foreign MD than a DO, then that quite a statement. And when that statement is amplified by the program director, it carries alot of weight.

Believe what you want, but behind closed doors, this is the kind of discussion that goes on. And I am certain that these discussions are not unique to our institution.

To carry matters further, several applicants over the years have asked about whether FMGs or DOs are/were in the program in order to measure the strength of a progam.

I did not state that a DO or FMG is inferior. I am stating facts from my personal experiences regarding resident selection. If you have been involved in resident selection then feel free to provide input. Whether this bias is justified or not, I have observed it in the resident selection process.

i doubt this is consistent throughout ALL MD residencies. even so, it seems that MDs must be the first to be nice here, since MDs are not even given a chance at DO residencies. i can apply to more places than MDs can, as a DO. i would wager that there are not too many more MD residencies that are biased against DOs than there are DO residencies that wont even give a MD a look.

i plan on applying to a number of DO residencies, if i get in, i get in, if not, i will apply to MD residences. since even a large number of DOs do not apply to DO residencies, i think my chances are better at getting into sub specialties as a DO than as a MD. however i want to do EM which is not exactly competitive (at the present time) so hopefully i will get in some place....

i also get that you are primarily talking about surgical areas since even specialty MD residencies are becoming more and more open to DOs. even so, i could give you cases of a number of DOs in tough surgical specialties. and while this is not the norm, it is in fact a possibility. with competitive things in life, there will not be a cake walk to the finish line..............

l8rs...

JAMMAN said:
When the chief states that he would rather have a foreign MD than a DO, then that quite a statement.

Yeah? Well my best friend's sister's cousin's roommate's uncle knows someone who is directly involved in the selection process for a prestigious neurosurgery residency and he told him (who told my best friend's sister's cousin's roommate who then told my best friend's sister's cousin who then told my best friend's sister who told my best friend who told me) that they'd rather have a DO than an offshore MD grad in their hospital - so I'd say that's quite a statement. By the way, I graduated from Harvard's undergrad, med school and law school and have found a cure for cancer but I'm not ready to share it with the rest of the world yet. So I'd say my experiences beat out your's.

Now that we've got that established, let me inform the OP that from my numorous and outstanding experiences, 99% of the time there is absolutely no difference in practicing as an MD or DO. The stigma exists mainly from pre-meds who like to pretend they know everything about anything, as well as a few very arrogant med students, and even fewer arrogant doctors. Someone should make a book of the facial expressions these MD students make when they learn that they might have DOs or foreign MDs working right beside them in rotations, residencies, and practice, and get paid exactly the same amount of $.

Status
Not open for further replies.