Do vet schools have rolling admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

informatique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my knowledge, the application cycle goes from June - October? Do vet schools have rolling admissions? Would it be advantageous for me to apply earlier around JUne-JUly?

Members don't see this ad.

Ohio State does...but basically they are going to only accept/interview good applicants. They won't look at anything before October 1 I don't think--the rolling part at OSU has to do with their supplemental app, which they don't give you until November.

I think that officially with the avma application it is not supposed to matter when you get the application in. However, there is a back up closer to october so earlier is better in that case. After the general app is in, I know that at least Ohio operates on rolling admissions for the supplemental application. I cannot speak for other schools though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Most vet schools use VMCAS. This means that they send each vet school you apply to your application at the same time thy send everyone else's. So, no - you can apply as soon or as late as you like, it doesn't matter. (Last minute rush is never a good thing, though!)

June - October 1st is the time span where VMCAS accepts new applications, yes.

I should note that Ross, St. George's, and St. Michael's all have a different sort of system that has an incoming class in January, May, and August. You wouldn't use VMCAS to apply there.

Also, a couple U.S. schools don't use VMCAS either, like Tufts or... Tuskeegee? I'm not sure. Anyway, they might have some different admissions policies, but I still don't think that any vet school I've ever heard of uses rolling admissions.

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess the supplemental part could be different. I would still say that if you were an excellent candidate, you would have a good chance at any time. Hey, the earlier the better anyway - get it over with! :)

Ross has rolling admissions.

As far as I know, Tuskegee does not.

Ohio isn't really rolling, my friend submitter her VMCA's before I did, and I got the supplemental app first. They are somewhat rolling in the fact that they let people in over the course of several months (November and on).

Ross has rolling admissions.

Anyone know if Ross is still accepting for this cycle? I have an application just sitting here ready to go, but keep figuring, well, it's probably too late right now, so might as well try another cycle then apply.
But then I think, well, maybe this is worth looking into, but I waited to long waiting to hear from the alternate list, so it's probably too late..
St. George too, maybe it's worth a look, if they are still looking at applications.???

Just another thought - was that you on the other post worrying about enough experience? If that's the case, I'd wait and actually send in your application at the end of summer, to get as much as you can on the first application (you can, I believe, send updates later (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but you'd probably want as much as possible on that first application).

Also, if you are the same person, start NOW. With a spreadsheet. Open it up, create a new spreadsheet with spaces for clinic name, veterinarian name, contact information, dates, hours, experiences, and special cases. Keep track of anything and everything, so it's all in one spot by the time you get to your application, and you don't have to try and think about what you've done. Make sure to put down interesting cases and numbers (if you don't have hours and hours and hours that speaks for itself, specificity will be your friend, e.g. "Aided in a dozen lameness exams and assisted with multiple emergencies including colic, deep lacerations, and an eye removal" sounds better than "Observed a horse vet for three days").

That last one is coming straight out of resume writing advice, so someone correct me if I'm glaringly wrong, but I believe there's a spot on the app. to explain your duties in different experiences?

Ohio interviews on a rolling admissions basis for when you complete your supplemental application.

Michigan does rolling admissions from when you get your VMCAS in. There is not a huge benefit to doing it right away, but if you get it in early September you will probably interview earlier at MSU.

Ohio interviews on a rolling admissions basis for when you complete your supplemental application.

at least for my friend and i, she and i completed it within 2 weeks of each other, (i got mine a little before hers- 1-2 weeks i think) i interviewed in november and she did in january, so its not completely based on that

Anyone know if Ross is still accepting for this cycle? I have an application just sitting here ready to go, but keep figuring, well, it's probably too late right now, so might as well try another cycle then apply.
But then I think, well, maybe this is worth looking into, but I waited to long waiting to hear from the alternate list, so it's probably too late..
St. George too, maybe it's worth a look, if they are still looking at applications.???

yea..i think both st. george & ross are still accepting for their fall semester......cuz i just heard back from them regarding my app.

yea..i think both st. george & ross are still accepting for their fall semester......cuz i just heard back from them regarding my app.

are these unaccredited schools?

Yes.
And the biggest disadvantage of them is unaccredited = no federal loans.

Second biggest disadvantage would be that the foreign licensure exam needed to practice in the US after graduating from Ross(or any other non-accredited school) costs $7000. So don't fail that one...

Source:
http://www.avma.org/education/ecfvg/ecfvg_pp_steps.asp#step1
Wow, just spoke to a Ross Vet who I really admire and he was telling me how great the school was for him, and how well it prepared him. He didn't mention the cost of the exam though!
Thought I checked out all the info I needed. Missed that one. Tks.

Yes.

Second biggest disadvantage would be that the foreign licensure exam needed to practice in the US after graduating from Ross(or any other non-accredited school) costs $7000. So don't fail that one...

Source:

Yep! and that is for one attempt. Subsequent attempts are an additional $2000. Last I heard the P/F rate was 50%. But neither the PAVE nor ECFVG post stats so thats just was I heard. Also keep in mind that includes all foreign graduates, not just the Carribean schools, so some schools pass rates are better than others. I think Ross and SGU have pretty good success, but again no posted stats (unless I missed it on their webpage).

Yes.

Source:

Ross does have Stafford loans, actually. SGU and SMU do not. But SGU students go through a private loan company called EdInvest which kind of mimicks federal loans.