DO vs MD residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarne1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer. First, I know that emergency medicine is a competitive residency among allopathic programs, and I was wondering if AOA ER residencies are equally tough to get into.
Secondly, I'm not 100% sure how all the board certifications work but if one completes an AOA residency do they or can they take the same board (ex. emergency medicine boards) as those in an allopathic residency, or is there a separate AOA boards. If someone was certified by the AOA can one become a member or fellow of the American college of emergency physicians or are they limited to the ACOEP.
Thanks!
Scarne

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have the answers to all your questions, some of which I am not sure what you are asking - but that is just me not you, sorry long day in surgery and I am tired. But as for the last question. ACEP requires its members to be board certified, whether it is AOA or AMA - they don't care. My mentor is board cert from the osteopathic boards, but he is a fellow in ACEP. And yes there are osteopathic boards too.

To be a FACEP (Fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians) one must graduate from a MD or DO EM (or peds)residency, practice in EM for 3 years and be active in ACEP (obviously, sitting for board certification is necessary).

Are DO EM residencies as competative? No.
That is not to say they aren't OK, some are pretty good, but quite a few are located at hospitals that aren't LEVEL 1 trauma and have less than 40K visits per year and the programs themselves are much, much smaller in size. They are typically seen simply as less desireable than Allopathic residencies...and it still stands that the BEST DO EM residency is not nearly as good as the top 25 MD EM residencies. That is why many DO students are entering the MD match for EM!

out of curiosity, which DO EM residency is considered to be the best? St. barnabas in NY? Pontiac in michigan? thanks