DO vs MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngelBear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi Guys,

Just wondering what resources you guys read to learn more about the philosophy of a DO program as opposed to an MD program. SI there any particular book out there you guys can recommend.

Also, I am interested to learn what made you decide that the DO route was right for you ??

Members don't see this ad.

the AACOM web site has some good information.
There is usually alot of information about the profession in general on specific school websites.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
AngelBear said:
hi Guys,

Just wondering what resources you guys read to learn more about the philosophy of a DO program as opposed to an MD program. SI there any particular book out there you guys can recommend.

Also, I am interested to learn what made you decide that the DO route was right for you ??

The DOs by Norman Gevitz

This is a new edition, published this year. Haven't read this edition, but the original was a must read before my interviews. It has a lot of good history of medicine in the US as well.

WannabeDO said:
The DOs by Norman Gevitz

This is a new edition, published this year. Haven't read this edition, but the original was a must read before my interviews. It has a lot of good history of medicine in the US as well.

I'll second that motion :thumbup:

The only difference is conceptually. Pratically, there is no philosophy difference between MD and DO, unless you're using DOs in the context of how they originally were. While DOs may use the, "whole person" philosophy more, it is not something that is exclusive to the profession.

Buy and read cover to cover the Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine (aka The Green Monster).

I take that back, just do what the posters above say.

raptor5 said:
Buy and read cover to cover the Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine (aka The Green Monster).

I take that back, just do what the posters above say.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That was funny.... FOM is a good book, but wait until you are in to read it. And cover to cover? :wow: I don't think so ;)

Another good book is "Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress"...

Has anyone read "Epidemic of Care?" It's a pretty good book about the state of healthcare today...

Have to agree, The DO's by Gevitz was great if you want to learn the history.

Great avatar JKDmed.... How do I get one like that :cool: