DO Waitlist Support Thread 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefull!!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought it was time to get this started since a few schools have started pulling off alternate lists. We got this everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I will kick it off to see if anyone knows if there are hard cutoffs for AACOMAS for students holding multiple acceptances like MD schools?

No, and I'm not even sure that there is one. I was not a DO candidate this cycle. DO schools have a slightly different model, because they collect significant, non-refundable tuition deposits ($1,000-$2,500) soon after acceptance, and they are more than happy to have you forfeit those deposits and call people off WLs, right up until the start of school. OTOH, MD schools do not ask for a deposit of more than $100, which is fully refundable until 4/30. Many schools ask for no money at all upfront.

DO schools understand that they are going to lose people to MD schools as long as the MD schools are still calling people off WLs. Their business model relies on it, since they generate a lot of revenue from these forfeited 4-figure deposits. This is a reason DO schools interview and accept a lot of people early in the cycle who are clearly strong MD candidates, and then start interviewing for the WL, also relatively early in the cycle. They do it intentionally in order to grab those non-refundable deposits from people eager to buy a little insurance early in the cycle, knowing they are going to be going to the WL in April and May.

I just don't know how common it is to hold multiple DO As, due to the significant deposit money involved, or whether and how schools induce people to drop multiple DO As between the time those deposits are paid and the first tuition payment is due.

This is the only info I have seen on that. It basically boils waitlist movement for DO schools into waiting for the AAMC deadlines for MD schools to happen so that DO schools spots open up.

Reactions: 1 users
I will kick it off to see if anyone knows if there are hard cutoffs for AACOMAS for students holding multiple acceptances like MD schools?

This is the only info I have seen on that. It basically boils waitlist movement for DO schools into waiting for the AAMC deadlines for MD schools to happen so that DO schools spots open up.
1649721228572.png

This is the closest I could find, I think I read somewhere else it wasn't a hard cut-off date, but rather the COM's decision as to how they want to approach the student.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)

At this stage I think that is probably largely correct. There will always be some people holding multiple DOs, regardless of the cost. But there is no deadline compelling them to give the excess up right now, so I think the primary things driving DO WL movement will be MD acceptances and first tuition payments being due for DO.

I think last minute drops are a lot more common among DO schools as well. Certain schools I don't anticipate much waitlist movement (LECOM-B), but hopefully it'll at least be somewhat substantial. Just have to wait it out for the domino effect of those top applicants from MD schools to drop their multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 353273

This is the closest I could find, I think I read somewhere else it wasn't a hard cut-off date, but rather the COM's decision as to how they want to approach the student.
This is it!!! So, the answer is probably 5/30, 15 days after 5/15. Most people would probably withdraw by around that time anyway, since it must be close enough to when most schools start that tuition would be due shortly. Makes perfect sense, and there really is no good reason for anyone, either MD or DO, to be holding multiple acceptances after that date, given how close it is to the start of the next academic year.

At Choose DO fair today with LECOM they said "With more schools and the with applicants having the ability to interview at several dozen schools because of the virtual format, there will be more movement than ever,".... keep your head up everyone!!

Reactions: 7 users
Touro NV pulls off the waitlist down to the last minute before orientation starts. I was accepted there in late July a couple years ago. They sent me an email late in the cycle asking if I was still interested in attending. The morning after they called to let me know I'd been accepted. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Anyone have any strategies on how to get pulled from the waitlist?

I’m going to be visiting the school I’m WL at this week. They don’t have any tours or info sessions but this is the only time that works for me. Should I email them and see if I could meet with someone or stop into admissions? Or is that too much lol I just want them to know I’m extremely interested. (Already did a LOI)

I’m going to be visiting the school I’m WL at this week. They don’t have any tours or info sessions but this is the only time that works for me. Should I email them and see if I could meet with someone or stop into admissions? Or is that too much lol I just want them to know I’m extremely interested. (Already did a LOI)
I did this with schools pre-interview and I think it helped my chances greatly. Gave me someone to advocate for me when giving decisions etc. (if you make a good impression). I went in business clothes and had scheduled a meeting before I went.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I don’t think this will do anything for you. It could even potentially come off the wrong way. Nearly everyone without an A right now is desperate (“extremely interested”). I certainly was when I applied a few years ago and had to sweat it out until I got my first and only A just a week before school started. You aren’t demonstrating anything unique about yourself by setting up a meeting of this nature. I can’t imagine a scenario where this meeting moves you up the waitlist. You already had an interview: that was your chance to impress them. Medical school is the belle of the ball (5% acceptance rate) and you are the eager suitor. Medical school knows everyone wants to dance with her. She will not be impressed if you keep begging.

As a disclaimer, I’m not an expert but I was accepted and I would Not do this if I were you.

It would be reasonable to try to set up this meeting before the interview to gather info or after an acceptance to help you decide where to go.

Honestly I don’t think this will do anything for you. It could even potentially come off the wrong way. Nearly everyone without an A right now is desperate (“extremely interested”). I certainly was when I applied a few years ago and had to sweat it out until I got my first and only A just a week before school started. You aren’t demonstrating anything unique about yourself by setting up a meeting of this nature. I can’t imagine a scenario where this meeting moves you up the waitlist. You already had an interview: that was your chance to impress them. Medical school is the belle of the ball (5% acceptance rate) and you are the eager suitor. Medical school knows everyone wants to dance with her. She will not be impressed if you keep begging.

As a disclaimer, I’m not an expert but I was accepted and I would Not do this if I were you.

It would be reasonable to try to set up this meeting before the interview to gather info or after an acceptance to help you decide where to go.
I have an acceptance too, I would just rather go to this school. But I hear you. Thanks for your input

Got WL’d last week at LMU-DCOM, sent an LOI today. It’s my only WL this cycle, is there anything else I can do to help get off?

5 DO interviews, 4 WL's, 1 post-II R. I am exhausted. Hoping for some movement within the next month or so!

• Care
5 DO interviews, 4 WL's, 1 post-II R. I am exhausted. Hoping for some movement within the next month or so!
Update: Less than an hour after posting this I got the call that I had been let off of the waitlist at a school and was offered admission. NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Hello all. Do we ever have to give up DO WL positions if we have one DO A like for MD schools on their CTE date?

Update: Less than an hour after posting this I got the call that I had been let off of the waitlist at a school and was offered admission. NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!!
Congrats! I’m praying that call comes sometime, I only have 1 WL ;-;

• Care
Congrats! I’m praying that call comes sometime, I only have 1 WL ;-;
Remember: all you need is ONE acceptance, doesn't matter how you get there! Can't tell you how many docs I've worked with who got one II and one A. Keep your head up!

I’m deposited at a DO program a few hours from home & on a waitlist at one 30 minutes away.

Hoping to get off the WL so I can stay close to home and not have to move to a small town! Though I do love the school I’m deposited at, so I’d likely be happy either way.

• Care
Hello all. Do we ever have to give up DO WL positions if we have one DO A like for MD schools on their CTE date?
Hello! The AACOMAS traffic guidelines explain what you are asking about.

However, these really only apply if you hold multiple acceptances. So you are good to stay on that waitlist.

Got WL’d last week at LMU-DCOM, sent an LOI today. It’s my only WL this cycle, is there anything else I can do to help get off?
An LOI is the strongest way to demonstrate to a school that you would attend if offered a place. You may choose to send in additional materials, but it is unknown how much of an impact this will have. Some schools like to see it, while others don’t care much. Consult the school’s policies on supporting documents.

On 2 waitlists... so, April showers bring May...Acceptances??? 🙏

Also congrats to those getting off the WL!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
An LOI is the strongest way to demonstrate to a school that you would attend if offered a place. You may choose to send in additional materials, but it is unknown how much of an impact this will have. Some schools like to see it, while others don’t care much. Consult the school’s policies on supporting documents.

What supporting documents are typical?

What supporting documents are typical?
Besides letters of intent, you can send update letters informing the admissions committee of recent achievements and restating your interest in the school.

Besides letters of intent, you can send update letters informing the admissions committee of recent achievements and restating your interest in the school.
what if you have no recent achievements or no new activities lmao

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
You guys think the majority of movement is happening this next couple weeks or will more take place after May 15th?

• Hmm
I’m still on the waitlist for one school and am seriously preparing to reapply- when would be a reasonable time to submit my application? I am pretty much done with the primary already.

I’m still on the waitlist for one school and am seriously preparing to reapply- when would be a reasonable time to submit my application? I am pretty much done with the primary already.
As soon as the cycle opens. But note many adcoms on SDN recommend waiting a year to reapply, citing that most students who apply back to back cycles haven't made significant enough changes to their app to yield different results. Exception being if it was just a school list issue, although there's not really a lower stat tier to target if you applied primarily DO.

As soon as the cycle opens. But note many adcoms on SDN recommend waiting a year to reapply, citing that most students who apply back to back cycles haven't made significant enough changes to their app to yield different results. Exception being if it was just a school list issue, although there's not really a lower stat tier to target if you applied primarily DO.
What if I only applied to a few DOs, with most silent and I wanted to add more? Would it be worth it since for those I’d be doing it for the first time?

What if I only applied to a few DOs, with most silent and I wanted to add more? Would it be worth it since for those I’d be doing it for the first time?
Then that would be case 1. School list issue. Leading to the next question - if you only applied to a few DO schools, I’m guessing only applied to the more established DO schools and maybe your state DO school. Do you want to target less established DO schools, knowing that some of them have admin issues, limited rotation sites and or lower board pass rates?

From when I started my re app before I was accepted late in the first cycle, I noticed a lot of schools asked if I was a reapplication and wanted an essay on how I improved my application. From what I understand it’s important to have a definitive answer here.

Very random, but I finished my degree this week and wanted to put my new transcript on my AACOMAS application. However, since the next cycle is open it seems like we cant do that? anyone have same issue or way to go back? Should I just send transcripts to the schools?

Very random, but I finished my degree this week and wanted to put my new transcript on my AACOMAS application. However, since the next cycle is open it seems like we cant do that? anyone have same issue or way to go back? Should I just send transcripts to the schools?

I think you’re supposed to send any updates directly to the schools

Can I ask when you were waitlisted and how long it took for them to offer you the admission? Also, did you send in any LOI or updates?

That’s mostly correct, I mainly chose ones that had lower stats and were relatively established. My state doesn’t have a state DO one, so I just applied to one I knew of.

This time I feel like it’s better if I just apply to everyone I can, as long as they do well on boards and still give me the ability to match into what I’m looking for.

As for the reapplication essay, I’ll have to definitely work on figuring out what I’ll write. I’m still hoping this WL becomes something, but it’s better to prepare.

Another issue is that I do not have a DO LOR, which is a requirement at many. Is there any way to get around the problem of doctors ignoring calls and other requests?
I was lucky to have a family and work connections for my letters. Before I set those up, I went in person to urgent cares in the area (only place I could find DOs since my state doesn't have a DO school either). Some of them had programs set up to help students shadow. IMO it's worth going in person to ask to show them that you look and smell like a normal person.

Sadly no calls for me this week. It’s brutal when it hits friday and I realize nothing has changed…. Here’s to hoping one of the four waitlists call next week!

Reactions: 7 users
Sadly no calls for me this week. It’s brutal when it hits friday and I realize nothing has changed…. Here’s to hoping one of the four waitlists call next week!
I’m with you there. Was hoping for something, but next week is closer to the 15th so maybe it’ll come when I least expect it.

We got it guys!! Just gotta keep our heads up and ringers on ;)

Hopefully some more movement will happen next week!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I’m with you there. Was hoping for something, but next week is closer to the 15th so maybe it’ll come when I least expect it.

Add me too, the neurosis is strong with 4 WLs and 0 As as I struggle to want to do anything besides hit refresh on my email. I hope y’all are coping better than I am.

• Care
Anyone else losing their minds? The waiting is killing me

Makes it worse when I’m preparing for reapp and MCAT again
Same. The waitlist I'm on is ranked but I keep holding on to the hope that I'll get the acceptance email before my retake tomorrow. Not likely but it'd be nice.