Do women have an easier time getting in to pod school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciderbun96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been noticing that podiatry schools are overwhelmingly male - according to AZpod's website the class of 2020 was 86% male...In engineering and veterinary medicine it is MUCH easier to get in if you are of the minority gender, is this true for podiatry schools? I can't seem to find any info on this.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been noticing that podiatry schools are overwhelmingly male - according to AZpod's website the class of 2020 was 86% male...In engineering and veterinary medicine it is MUCH easier to get in if you are of the minority gender, is this true for podiatry schools? I can't seem to find any info on this.
I don't know how this stacks up to more recent years, but this is the data gathered from the 2014-2015 matriculants: http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2014-2015-by-COLLEGE-ETH-ID-and-GEN-2.pdf. Women make up roughly 38% during this year, if I had to guess, this number either stayed around 38% or has increased each subsequent year.

Diversity wise, it would help any program to have females.

A 3.3cGPA should net you invites.

Focus on your MCAT if you havn't already. That and your s/cGPA should be a bigger deciding factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
At AZPOD prolly. However, if you need assistance getting into a podiatry school, I don't want you anywhere near my feet.

Remember that at AZpod, our class size is 30. Next year' class size will be 40 and I believe they are going up to 60 in the next couple of years. I' in the class 2021 and we have about 10 females in our class.

This ties into a lot of affirmative action debates that are happening in the political spheres right now. Ultimately, if I had to give you an answer it'd be that I don't think it's any harder to get into a school regardless of your gender/sex. Don't focus on if you think it'd be easier if you were something else, just focus on your unique strengths, because that is what they're looking for.

This ties into a lot of affirmative action debates that are happening in the political spheres right now. Ultimately, if I had to give you an answer it'd be that I don't think it's any harder to get into a school regardless of your gender/sex. Don't focus on if you think it'd be easier if you were something else, just focus on your unique strengths, because that is what they're looking for.

I'm not, I was just curious if podiatry was doing the same as other fields with major gender discrepancies.

I’m honestly surprised that more women don’t go into podiatry vs regular medical school. Podiatry has an awesome work-life balance for people who want families, and if you meet someone in podiatry school, that’s like twice the income lol (I guess also twice the debt).

Remember that at AZpod, our class size is 30. Next year' class size will be 40 and I believe they are going up to 60 in the next couple of years. I' in the class 2021 and we have about 10 females in our class.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m honestly surprised that more women don’t go into podiatry vs regular medical school. Podiatry has an awesome work-life balance for people who want families, and if you meet someone in podiatry school, that’s like twice the income lol (I guess also twice the debt).

I know. I was really surprised when I looked at the statistics. However, this just means it's a lot easier to find a boyfriend!

Reactions: 4 users
I know. I was really surprised when I looked at the statistics. However, this just means it's a lot easier to find a boyfriend!

That's one way to think about it.

When I was considering optometry, my wife told me straight up it was a unofficially a bit easier to get in as a male simply because more female applicants were geared toward that profession.

Podiatry would probably have the same unspoken preference, simply to increase the diversity.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean if you think about it, dating a podiatrist would be a pretty sweet deal, they would know how to give Amazing foot rubs.

Reactions: 5 users

Hi! I am 1 of 13 females in my class of 39 at WesternU. I noticed that it is about a 3:1 ratio for male:female at WesternU. I wouldn't say it is easier to get in because of the gender, but rather not a lot of females know or want to do podiatry. Keep in mind, podiatry involves surgery and not a lot of females are interested in surgery.

Glad you didn’t go the OD route?

That's one way to think about it.

When I was considering optometry, my wife told me straight up it was a unofficially a bit easier to get in as a male simply because more female applicants were geared toward that profession.

Podiatry would probably have the same unspoken preference, simply to increase the diversity.

Do you find that the women who chose to go the pod route are happy with their decision as opposed to going the MD/DO route?

As a side note, all the women I was on the interview trail with were extremely pleasant compared to the average “pre Med” applicant for MD or DO school. Tho, this wasn’t exclusive to women either, like 95% of the people I interacted with during my pod interviews were super chill and down to earth.

Hi! I am 1 of 13 females in my class of 39 at WesternU. I noticed that it is about a 3:1 ratio for male:female at WesternU. I wouldn't say it is easier to get in because of the gender, but rather not a lot of females know or want to do podiatry. Keep in mind, podiatry involves surgery and not a lot of females are interested in surgery.

Reactions: 1 user