Do you call a PA Doctor?

Started by gschl1234
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by timerick

I doubt this idea would ever catch on among "doctors" of any type. They work very hard to get the title, and many want to be reminded of it on a daily basis.

Damn right, boy! And when you walk into the House of God, you'd better refer to me or any of my colleagues as doctor! Just as I will refer to you and your PA colleagues by your first name.
😎
 
🙂 Plain and simple, a PA is not a doctor. This is the same as wondering if an NP is a doctor and the answer is no. PAs have a lot of knowledge but ultimately are not doctors. I am a PAS and always correct people who call me doctor. All of the PAs I have worked woth do the same as well. We should accept the fact that we may be just as smart as the doctors but we are not them:hardy:
 
The bottom line and to post my answer to the original question,

It against the law in all states for a PA to pass himself off as a Doc and to call himself/herself one. We are all supposed to make every attempt to educate patients in the difference, although most patients elect to call you whatever they want. Most of us just ask them to cal us by our first name but some of mine insist on calling me "Dr. Hollingsworth " despite correction. Technically it's inappropriate and not encouraged by the practitoner.

Call them MR. MS. MRS or by first name if you are addressing one..
Some folks will say "PA so-and so" but I think that sounds silly and prefer being called Bob
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by Serfes
I was asking for a reason why certain doctorates shouldn't retain the title of "Dr." If you're saying it's because people automatically think of a physician when they hear doctor, then why doesn't the same apply to all non-physician doctorates?

If a professor of sociology walks up to a person on the street and says "I'm a doctor" then thats flat out misrepresentation.

The only reason JDs and PhDs get away with it is because they use it in context. Students in their classes KNOW they are not medical doctors.

If a JD or a PhD were to announce to a group of random people that "I'm a doctor" with no clarification like "my doctorate is in ____" then thats unethical.
 
Its a pet peeve of mine when I hear nurses aids/patient care techs/medical assistants call themselves "nurse". They are not nurses, and it is illegal for them as well to say that they are.


Nurse it's not an academic tittle. Doctor is an academic tittle. One must go to school to be a Doctor. It really irks me when they want to make nurse like an academic tittle and trying to compare our profession to Doctors. Nurses always took care of patients. The individuals that nurse were called nurses. Florence Nightingale defined a nurse as someone who is in charge of others health. Nurse a title that you get for what you do and not for schooling. A Dr can be a good nurse by taking good care of a mother or father. To be a Doctor you must go to school and possess the title. Doctor has always been an academic title. Nurse has not. Other thing is that they are trying to make the nursing profession as the same as Doctors and try to make a tittle such as nurse an academic tittle. But this will never happen and the public will never adapt to this. When one takes the NCLEX it says NCLEX-RN or NCLEX-PN it never says NCLEX-N. Nurses are important but they are not Doctors and Nursing Lobbies need to stop playing Doctor. At the end of the day is patient who is getting harmed. As a CNA I hated and despised that they forbade me to call myself a Nurse when I and my other CNAs are the ones doing the Basic Traditional Nursing. This was all made by the Nursing Lobby. Now the Nursing Lobby is pushing for DNPs to have equal rights with Physicians. Doctors and CNA need to unite and lobby against this nonsense.

As a CNA I got the most respect and admiration for Doctors and I want to become one.

Blessings to all.
 
Listen folks, there is only so much one can do to deter a patient from calling you Dr. I practiced for 4 years full time as a PA and patients never stopped calling me Dr. I corrected them time and time again, but even then some of them said they felt more comfortable calling me that because they felt I really was their "Doc". Its funny the definitions people use for the word doc. I have it tattooed on my left bicep because as a corpsman with the Marines, I really was their "doc". Its really just a patient's way of respecting you when they don't otherwise know how. If you abide by all state laws, then you are covered. I had a sign in my lobby stating that I was a PA and not a physician. I wore a white coat that stated I was a physician assistant (spelled out), and I was always up front and introduced myself as PA Matt M. It is unrealistic to think you won't be called doc routinely, but you can only do so much before you lose your mind.


Same here. I've been called "Doctor" since I was an orderly 40 plus years ago. I continue to introduce myself by my first name and inform first time patients that I'm a nurse practitioner. Some will respond, "Nice to meet you doc." They can also see the sign on my door when we enter. I was a medic and currently work for the military. Soldiers just call most everyone "doc."
 
Nurse it's not an academic tittle. Doctor is an academic tittle. One must go to school to be a Doctor. It really irks me when they want to make nurse like an academic tittle and trying to compare our profession to Doctors. Nurses always took care of patients. The individuals that nurse were called nurses. Florence Nightingale defined a nurse as someone who is in charge of others health. Nurse a title that you get for what you do and not for schooling. A Dr can be a good nurse by taking good care of a mother or father. To be a Doctor you must go to school and possess the title. Doctor has always been an academic title. Nurse has not. Other thing is that they are trying to make the nursing profession as the same as Doctors and try to make a tittle such as nurse an academic tittle. But this will never happen and the public will never adapt to this. When one takes the NCLEX it says NCLEX-RN or NCLEX-PN it never says NCLEX-N. Nurses are important but they are not Doctors and Nursing Lobbies need to stop playing Doctor. At the end of the day is patient who is getting harmed. As a CNA I hated and despised that they forbade me to call myself a Nurse when I and my other CNAs are the ones doing the Basic Traditional Nursing. This was all made by the Nursing Lobby. Now the Nursing Lobby is pushing for DNPs to have equal rights with Physicians. Doctors and CNA need to unite and lobby against this nonsense.

As a CNA I got the most respect and admiration for Doctors and I want to become one.

Blessings to all.


Someone really needs to correct your total lack of understanding here. I've been driving 7 hours today so hopefully someone else will do so.
 
where is the lack of understanding?

Nurse it's not an academic tittle. Doctor is an academic tittle. One must go to school to be a Doctor.

One must go to school to be a nurse also. That’s what nursing schools are for. What the heck is an academic tittle? I’ve never heard of it during my stay in academia.

It really irks me when they want to make nurse like an academic tittle and trying to compare our profession to Doctors.

One can always compare their profession to any others. I sometimes compare mine to my brother who is a jeep mechanic. Shouldn’t irk you that much, should it?

Nurses always took care of patients. The individuals that nurse were called nurses. Florence Nightingale defined a nurse as someone who is in charge of others health.

People are in charge of their own health and some fail miserable with those management skills.

Nurse a title that you get for what you do and not for schooling. A Dr can be a good nurse by taking good care of a mother or father. To be a Doctor you must go to school and possess the title. Doctor has always been an academic title. Nurse has not.

I played “doctor” as a child and was actually quite good at it until caught practicing without a license! You can also “doctor” without being a doctor, just as you can "nurse" without being a nurse. I guess you are unaware that doctors used to only have on-the-job training.

I think you probably need to look up the following:
Nurse as a verb and noun. Same for doctor.

Other thing is that they are trying to make the nursing profession as the same as Doctors and try to make a tittle such as nurse an academic tittle. But this will never happen and the public will never adapt to this. When one takes the NCLEX it says NCLEX-RN or NCLEX-PN it never says NCLEX-N. Nurses are important but they are not Doctors and Nursing Lobbies need to stop playing Doctor.
Lobbyists don’t play doctor. They are hired to lobby.

At the end of the day is patient who is getting harmed. As a CNA I hated and despised that they forbade me to call myself a Nurse when I and my other CNAs are the ones doing the Basic Traditional Nursing. This was all made by the Nursing Lobby. Now the Nursing Lobby is pushing for DNPs to have equal rights with Physicians. Doctors and CNA need to unite and lobby against this nonsense.

As a CNA I got the most respect and admiration for Doctors and I want to become one.

Your title tells you what you are, “Certified Nurse’s Assistant,” not “Nurse.” It is against the law for you to hold yourself out as a nurse. Do you have any research about patients being harmed, I mean other than that about the thousands injured by our healthcare system as a whole, usually due to accidents, meds, etc.?

Btw the way, I started as a CNA and worked my way up slowly, Army medic. LPN, RN, associate professor, NP, GOD, etc..
 
One can always compare their profession to any others. I sometimes compare mine to my brother who is a jeep mechanic. Shouldn’t irk you that much, should it?


By comparing I mean trying to imitate. Also a care provided by a nurse is not the same as a Doctor. They are different professions and different views. You cannot compare one with the other. The care provided by a DNP is not the same as a Physician who went to 4 years of Medical School + 4 years of Residency.


One must go to school to be a nurse also. That’s what nursing schools are for. What the heck is an academic tittle? I’ve never heard of it during my stay in academia.


You go to school to be a Registered Nurse, a Practical Nurse or CNA. A Nurse is someone that takes care of people. Back then nurses used to nurse without any licensure or schooling. Other thing is that schools were created to teach nurses how to nurse properly. Licensure, medication administration skills, etc. came along the way as nurses needed to have all of this take better care of their patients. But that doesn't change the fact that Bedside Care such as changing a diaper is part of Nursing Fundamentals. Nursing is not just passing meds or pushing IV's. It is confusing to the Public to try and change the definition of Nurse to something more "scientifical". Nurse is someone who takes care of people. Plain and simple.


I played “doctor” as a child and was actually quite good at it until caught practicing without a license! You can also “doctor” without being a doctor, just as you can "nurse" without being a nurse. I guess you are unaware that doctors used to only have on-the-job training.

I think you probably need to look up the following:
Nurse as a verb and noun. Same for doctor


Nobody can nurse without being a nurse. That's how the name comes from. Nurse= one that nurses. You become a nurse when you take care of people. People who take care of others are called Nurses. It's the way it has always been. Nurses take care of people. You become a Nurse to take care of people. That's the main reason to become a nurse: taking care of people.

On the other hand nobody can "doctor" without having the proper schooling. Doctor coming from Latin means somebody who is capable to teach. If we are going by the traditional term even a great teacher could be a "doctor". And even like that a teacher needs to have proper schooling to be "able to teach". Not anyone could be a doctor. To be a Medicine Doctor and be "able to teach" and practice medicine one must go to medical school, get a degree and have a residency.

Lobbyists don’t play doctor. They are hired to lobby.


There is something called the Nursing Lobby. There are nurses like Mundinger who think DNP care is similar to that of physicians. There are nurse lobbyists. There is plenty of Nurse Lobbyist who are trying to give independent rights to DNP's.


Your title tells you what you are, “Certified Nurse’s Assistant,” not “Nurse.” It is against the law for you to hold yourself out as a nurse. Do you have any research about patients being harmed, I mean other than that about the thousands injured by our healthcare system as a whole, usually due to accidents, meds, etc.?


There is no such thing as a Certified Nursing Assistant. Once you take care of that patient you become his/her nurse. It doesn't matter what legal or artificial tittle the law can come up with. My patient is still going to see me as his/her nurse since I am the one taking care of him/her.



If we are talking about the law sometimes the law isn't right. Back in the day slavery was legal, today it's not. Back in the day segregation was legal, now it's not. Sometimes the law it's not that fair and doesn't benefit people.


Today a CRNA can practice solo in some states and NP's will practice solo. Don't you think that that harms the patient more than a good CNA calling himself a Nurse because he is taking good care of a dementia resident.

It's not proven that CNA's harm the patient by calling themselves nurses. This is nothing but elitism. Some RN's just don't want an "unqualified" individual to "pose" as a nurse.

The law will permit DNP's to practice medicine independently. Don't you think that that will harm the patient?


Btw the way, I started as a CNA and worked my way up slowly, Army medic. LPN, RN, associate professor, NP, GOD

My upmost respect to you. Thanks for serving our country.

God bless you.
 
By comparing I mean trying to imitate. Also a care provided by a nurse is not the same as a Doctor. They are different professions and different views. You cannot compare one with the other. The care provided by a DNP is not the same as a Physician who went to 4 years of Medical School + 4 years of Residency.

You go to school to be a Registered Nurse, a Practical Nurse or CNA. A Nurse is someone that takes care of people. Back then nurses used to nurse without any licensure or schooling. Other thing is that schools were created to teach nurses how to nurse properly. Licensure, medication administration skills, etc. came along the way as nurses needed to have all of this take better care of their patients. But that doesn't change the fact that Bedside Care such as changing a diaper is part of Nursing Fundamentals. Nursing is not just passing meds or pushing IV's. It is confusing to the Public to try and change the definition of Nurse to something more "scientifical". Nurse is someone who takes care of people. Plain and simple.


Nobody can nurse without being a nurse. That's how the name comes from. Nurse= one that nurses. You become a nurse when you take care of people. People who take care of others are called Nurses. It's the way it has always been. Nurses take care of people. You become a Nurse to take care of people. That's the main reason to become a nurse: taking care of people.

On the other hand nobody can "doctor" without having the proper schooling. Doctor coming from Latin means somebody who is capable to teach. If we are going by the traditional term even a great teacher could be a "doctor". And even like that a teacher needs to have proper schooling to be "able to teach". Not anyone could be a doctor. To be a Medicine Doctor and be "able to teach" and practice medicine one must go to medical school, get a degree and have a residency.

You're still not getting it and I have a feeling I won't be able to explain it to you. No one can be a "Professional Nurse" without having the proper schooling. However, anyone can "nurse" a drink or "doctor" a drink for example. Anyone can be a doctor if they try hard enough and that is their career path. Remember there is a difference between doctor and physician.





There is no such thing as a Certified Nursing Assistant. Once you take care of that patient you become his/her nurse. It doesn't matter what legal or artificial tittle the law can come up with. My patient is still going to see me as his/her nurse since I am the one taking care of him/her.

Yes, there is. This is one reason we have laws. This prevents people such as yourself from claiming to to be what you are not and potentially harming the public. Once you take care of that patient you are still their CNA. The fact that some patients called me "doctor" when I was a CNA does not make me one.



If we are talking about the law sometimes the law isn't right. Back in the day slavery was legal, today it's not. Back in the day segregation was legal, now it's not. Sometimes the law it's not that fair and doesn't benefit people.

I went to Colorado this last weekend. I had planned on doing some shooting with my son. I have a concealed carry permit and I checked the Colorado law to see if that state honored my permit. They did but I had to take my .22 rifle out of my Jeep before leaving because I only had 25 round magazines and Colorado law only allows 15 round magazines. If I don't think a law is fair, then I'll fight it, not go around it and suffer the consequences. In this case, I just won't move to Colorado.


Today a CRNA can practice solo in some states and NP's will practice solo. Don't you think that that harms the patient more than a good CNA calling himself a Nurse because he is taking good care of a dementia resident.

It's not proven that CNA's harm the patient by calling themselves nurses. This is nothing but elitism. Some RN's just don't want an "unqualified" individual to "pose" as a nurse.

The law will permit DNP's to practice medicine independently. Don't you think that that will harm the patient?

Why don't you be happy with what you are and train to be what you want to be? Misrepresentating yourself is dishonest to patients, and in this case illegal. They are already confused about who is doing what to their bodies. A couple years ago I practiced in New Mexico, a state that has had independent practice right for NPs for over 20 years. Why not go there and see who's being harmed? Or check out the many other states that have independent practice rights.




My upmost respect to you. Thanks for serving our country.

God bless you.
You're welcome.

Moderators, the recent changes to this board really suck!
 
Last edited:
My experience with PAs is limited to 2 facilities, but in I have been exposed to several PAs at these facilities. At both, on a University Hospital, the other a VA hospital.

I would never generalize an entire profession based on what I saw one at a VA hospital do. We all know the kind of people that seem drawn to the VA system.


The law will permit DNP's to practice medicine independently.

How will they practice medicine with a nursing license?
 
You're still not getting it and I have a feeling I won't be able to explain it to you. No one can be a "Professional Nurse" without having the proper schooling. However, anyone can "nurse" a drink or "doctor" a drink for example. Anyone can be a doctor if they try hard enough and that is their career path. Remember there is a difference between doctor and physician.


But one thing is a Professional Nurse and other thing is a Nurse. If that person is a professional Nurse than that person should say that it is a Professional Nurse. That way the public knows what nurse is taking care of them.

If the person is providing nursing care that person is a nurse. Otherwise the word would lose its sense.

If a person wants to excel at teaching the right path is to get a doctorate. I could not doctor nobody without the proper schooling.
A person needs to try very hard and study very hard to get a doctorate. It's not a walk in the park. If someone wants to be a doctor in medicine the person needs to get the proper schooling, training and go through a tough Residency. Nobody can doctor in medicine without the proper training. It's not something that one accomplishes only by trying hard, the person needs to excel at it and have a lot of dedication.

Why don't you be happy with what you are and train to be what you want to be? Misrepresentating yourself is dishonest to patients, and in this case illegal.


I am very happy with what I am.

¿Why not being happy with being a professional nurse and introduce yourself as one?.

¿Why try to get hung up over a tittle that is so widely used and that is related to caregiving?.

The public is still going to relate nursing to caregiving because that is what nursing means(in it's original sense).

If an RN doesn't want to confuse the patient that RN should introduce his/herself by his/her professional tittle and give the resident a brief explanation about his/her duties.


Florence defined what a nurse is:

"Every woman, or at least almost every woman, in England has, at one time or another of her life, charge of the personal health of somebody, whether child or invalid,–in other words, every woman is a nurse. "


A person taking care of somebody is a nurse. That's what it means in the English language. It doesn't matter what type of tittle a person might have. It could be a senator, president or any other person and if you are taking care of somebody you are nursing the patient.

The term "nurse" means one that nurses. There is no way someone can nurse without being one.

Doctor on the other hand has always been a title granted to people who have always achieved an advanced academic level. For example: if one wants to excel at teaching nursing the best path is to get a PhD/DNP.

There is no proof that CNA's harm patients by saying they are nurses. The law sometimes ain't right. And there is many things that the law permits that harms and abuses CNA's and patients.

You are comparing two different professions. It's like saying that cats are dogs. Some titles you get them for what you do. Others you get them by going to school.


Doctors are a different profession from Nursing. CNA's are part of the Nursing Team. I find it very severe and unfair that the law is "protecting" the public from "people like CNA's" who are the ones doing most of the traditional nursing duties. This is not a team based approach and has upset many CNA's.

¿Why keep stressing the relationship between CNA's and other nurses?.

¿Why can't we work as a team?.

You and I have very different opinions on this subject.

I give you many thanks for your service. My stepdad was also a medic in the Military and I know it is a very hard profession.

Thanks for your service and may God keep blessing your day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But one thing is a Professional Nurse and other thing is a Nurse. If that person is a professional Nurse than that person should say that it is a Professional Nurse. That way the public knows what nurse is taking care of them.


Professionals are generally associated with a professional degree, usually a 4 yr degree. However, the term “professional” has been watered down to include most anyone, including professional fireman, police, cooks, dog-walkers, etc..


If the person is providing nursing care that person is a nurse. Otherwise the word would lose its sense.


You’re still confusing nouns and verbs. My wife is a teacher but has “nursed” me when I was ill. (verb: to take care of or help someone who is sick or injured). Anyone can do this.


My basic nursing education was as a Licensed Practical Nurse, then as a professional Registered Nurse (Noun: a person who cares for the sick or infirm; specifically, a licensed health-care professional who practices independently or is supervised by a physician, surgeon, or dentist and who is skilled in promoting and maintaining health. My wife, however, is not a licensed nurse.


In your current job as a CNA, you are providing “nursing care” under a supervising licensed nurse. You can argue about definitions all you want but can only legally call yourself a nurse if you have the credentials to back it up. If you check the RN board of nursing for your state you’ll find they are always catching, and filing legal charges, against people working without a license or for impersonating a nurse.


If a person wants to excel at teaching the right path is to get a doctorate. I could not doctor nobody without the proper schooling.


My wife has a masters in special education and she is excellent at teaching. Most of the doctorates in education are not working on the front lines actually teaching but are doing admin work and basically just making it difficult for teachers to do their jobs.



A person needs to try very hard and study very hard to get a doctorate. It's not a walk in the park. If someone wants to be a doctor in medicine the person needs to get the proper schooling, training and go through a tough Residency.


Now apply that to nursing. “If someone wants to be a nurse they need proper schooling.”



I am very happy with what I am.


Why not being happy with being a professional nurse and introduce yourself as one?


I introduce myself as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner because that’s what I am.


Why try to get hung up over a tittle that is so widely used and that is related to caregiving?
Because you need to be accurate and legal.


The public is still going to relate nursing to caregiving because that is what nursing means (in it's original sense).


Everyone in the team is a caregiver.



If an RN doesn't want to confuse the patient that RN should introduce his/herself by his/her professional tittle and give the resident a brief explanation about his/her duties.


It’s “title,” not “tittle.” It’s perfectly fine to introduce yourself as a “nurse” if you are an LPN or RN. You can also say “LPN” or “RN.” In your role as a CNA you could just say “I’m your nurse’s aid or just aide.” You don’t have to be formal and say “CNA.”



Florence defined what a nurse is:


"Every woman, or at least almost every woman, in England has, at one time or another of her life, charge of the personal health of somebody, whether child or invalid,–in other words, every woman is a nurse. "



A person taking care of somebody is a nurse. That's what it means in the English language. It doesn't matter what type of tittle a person might have. It could be a senator, president or any other person and if you are taking care of somebody you are nursing the patient.


The term "nurse" means one that nurses. There is no way someone can nurse without being one.


History is good to know but get in the current century. We’ve gone over this before. Anyone can “nurse” (verb) including my Jeep mechanic brother. He’s even “nursed” my Jeep as well as “doctored” my Jeep. It's a really fine Jeep by the way.


Doctor on the other hand has always been a title granted to people who have always achieved an advanced academic level. For example: if one wants to excel at teaching nursing the best path is to get a PhD/DNP.


See my comments above. I taught nursing with a masters degree and I was pretty good. Having a research degree (Ph.D.) doesn’t make you a better teacher. The DNP is also a practice (clinical) degree, although you will find Ph.Ds, D.N.Ps, M.D.s and D.O.s teaching. Some may be in classroom setting or clinical setting.


In my current role I mentor (teach in a clinical setting) PA and NP students. However, I do not lecture in a classroom setting nor do I want that job again.


There is no proof that CNA's harm patients by saying they are nurses. The law sometimes ain't right. And there is many things that the law permits that harms and abuses CNA's and patients.


But you follow the law or you get slapped up side the head.


You are comparing two different professions. It's like saying that cats are dogs. Some titles you get them for what you do. Others you get them by going to school.


You should know the correct answer to this after reading the above. Perhaps you need to sit down with someone to discuss this in person.



Doctors are a different profession from Nursing. CNA's are part of the Nursing Team. I find it very severe and unfair that the law is "protecting" the public from "people like CNA's" who are the ones doing most of the traditional nursing duties. This is not a team based approach and has upset many CNA's.


The law is protecting people from stepping outside their bounds. Plain and simple. When you stand in front of a judge he or she is not going to give a whit about how you think things should be done.



Why keep stressing the relationship between CNA's and other nurses?.


¿Why can't we work as a team?.


You and I have very different opinions on this subject.


I give you many thanks for your service. My stepdad was also a medic in the Military and I know it is a very hard profession.


Thanks for your service and may God keep blessing your day.


I’m trying to educate you based on my 40 plus years of experience and how the real world is. Hopefully, you’ll catch on.
 
Personally, I would feel uncomfortable being called Doctor as a PA. Mostly, I don't want to be mistaken for someone who knows more than he actually does, or is responsible for more than he actually is.
 
Personally, I would feel uncomfortable being called Doctor as a PA. Mostly, I don't want to be mistaken for someone who knows more than he actually does, or is responsible for more than he actually is.
I can understand not wanting be called doctor. I can even understand that you, personally, don't want to seem to more know than you do. I don't understand being responsible for more than you are. There is nothing that a doc is responsible for that a PA isn't, medically.
 
Professionals are generally associated with a professional degree, usually a 4 yr degree. However, the term “professional” has been watered down to include most anyone, including professional fireman, police, cooks, dog-walkers, etc..

Now apply that to nursing. It's a term that has been restricted to Registered Nurses. But it doesn't include only Registered Nurses. It's a term used for anybody who nurses.


You’re still confusing nouns and verbs. My wife is a teacher but has “nursed” me when I was ill. (verb: to take care of or help someone who is sick or injured). Anyone can do this.


My basic nursing education was as a Licensed Practical Nurse, then as a professional Registered Nurse (Noun: a person who cares for the sick or infirm; specifically, a licensed health-care professional who practices independently or is supervised by a physician, surgeon, or dentist and who is skilled in promoting and maintaining health. My wife, however, is not a licensed nurse.


In your current job as a CNA, you are providing “nursing care” under a supervising licensed nurse. You can argue about definitions all you want but can only legally call yourself a nurse if you have the credentials to back it up. If you check the RN board of nursing for your state you’ll find they are always catching, and filing legal charges, against people working without a license or for impersonating a nurse.



You already gave the definition of what a nurse is. A person(anyone) caring for the sick or infirm. That's what CNA's are doing. Being a Nurse is not just passing meds. It is cleaning people up, bathing people, ambulating people, restoring them, feeding people, etc. CNA's are doing this and much more.


Specifically not only. Everybody could be a good nurse but not everybody could be a Doctor. Everybody could teach (docere) but not anybody could be a doctor. For the only matter that to one be called "doctor" needs to go to school and get the title. It's not something that you get for what you do. Nurse is somebody who nurses people. If the person is giving "nursing care" that person is a Nurse since its nursing the patient.



The law is pointless. Tomorrow other law could be made saying that DNP's are physicians. ¿Are you going to believe that?


The BON could prosecute all they want but at the end of the day. The Patient is going to see their CNA as their nurse. Doesn't matter how much the BON and some nursing lobbies try to change the definition of what a nurse is. The same is being made with Doctors. Some Nursing Lobbies are trying to make the people think that the care of a DNP is the same as a Doctor but the Patients are smarter than this.

But you follow the law or you get slapped up side the head.


If the law is accurate and proven to be correct. If not than that law needs to be re-examined. For all that matters Christians should've followed the law and denied their faith.

Not all laws are ok or are made in the best interest of the public. The title protection law concerning nursing staff is due to some RN's not wanting a person that went to "short training" to "pose" as a nurse.

In no way this has been evidence based or made rigorously. It wasn't studied thoroughly. There is no evidence that this harms the patient.


Laws need to be studied and made accurately. A law needs to be proven to be accurate and based on reason not mere elitism.

Not any nonsense could be made legal.

There were many nonsenses that were made legal.

Some great people in history (like Galileo) didn't followed the laws established and prove them to be wrong.

One can prove a law to be wrong and if the law is not in the best interest of the public the People have the right to change that Law. That is the beauty of living in a democracy.

DNP's could be considered "legally" physicians tomorrow but that doesn't mean that Doctors are going to agree with that.


History is good to know but get in the current century. We’ve gone over this before. Anyone can “nurse” (verb) including my Jeep mechanic brother. He’s even “nursed” my Jeep as well as “doctored” my Jeep. It's a really fine Jeep by the way.


We can be in the current century without forgetting the fundamentals. The Founders of our Profession already stated what a nurse is. And we should abide by those principles that they established. For all that matters physicians should get more "current" and forget all the fundamentals taught by physicians hundred of years ago.


Nobody can doctor without being one. It's a title that you get by schooling not by doing.


Now apply that to nursing. “If someone wants to be a nurse they need proper schooling.”



You go to school to be a Registered Nurse. Nurse is a title that you get for what you do. Same as judges, singers, artists, etc.



¿Do you think that judges in competitions misrepresent themselves?


My wife has a masters in special education and she is excellent at teaching. Most of the doctorates in education are not working on the front lines actually teaching but are doing admin work and basically just making it difficult for teachers to do their jobs.


But we are talking about the definition of a Doctor. My mother also has a masters at teaching. She is an excellent teacher. But she doesn't say she is a doctor because Doctor is not a title that you get for what you do. Is a tittle that you get by achieving the requirements. You can teach a drink, a jeep, an animal, etc. but you cannot be a doctor because that is a title that you have to earn.

On a knowledge basis the Doctor has more academical knowledge. That's why he is a Doctor. He fulfilled the requirements and got the maximum degree that you can get on an academic level.


The law is protecting people from stepping outside their bounds. Plain and simple. When you stand in front of a judge he or she is not going to give a whit about how you think things should be done.


If it were to "protect" the public from being harmed than the laws should be more concerned on DNP scope of practice and not on CNA's who call themselves nurses. Which at the end of the day won't jump outside their scope.


Because you need to be accurate and legal.


And you need to prove that the title protection "protects" the Public. Till this moment there is no proof of such a thing.



It’s “title,” not “tittle.” It’s perfectly fine to introduce yourself as a “nurse” if you are an LPN or RN. You can also say “LPN” or “RN.” In your role as a CNA you could just say “I’m your nurse’s aid or just aide.” You don’t have to be formal and say “CNA.”


An LPN is a Licensed Practical Nurse and an RN is a Registered Nurse. To avoid confusion it's recommendable that they present themselves by their academic titles. It doesn't say "N" it reads "LPN" or "RN".

My title is CNA. I introduce myself by the title that I possess. It's not being formal. It's called presenting yourself accurately. If tomorrow they defined me by other name I will introduce myself by that title. Same in clinical settings. Only a Physician should be called Doctor. When you present yourself by the title that you have the Patients doesn't get confused.

In a clinical setting a DNP should present his/herself as Dr. SoandSo, your Nurse Practitioner.


¿What would happen if a DNP stopped being "formal" and started introducing himself/herself as Doctor in a clinical setting?


That's one of the reasons why we have titles: to present ourselves to the public correctly and avoid confusion.



I introduce myself as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner because that’s what I am.

Exactly. The same applies to Registered Nurses. They are Registered Nurses not just nurses.

I am a CNA/RCNA and when I work as a Restorative I introduce myself as a Restorative not a regular CNA that way my Residents know what type of care I will provide.

When you introduce yourself by the professional title that you have the Patient knows who is really taking care of them and the qualifications that that provider has.

You are not understanding the fact that there is titles that you get for what you do and others that you get by going to school.

Singer is a title that you get for what you do. Anybody could be a singer. There are amateur singers, rookie singers, bar-lounge singers, professional singers, etc.

Same as artist. There are Professional Artists, Grafitti Artists, etc.

Nurse is a title that you get for what you do.

A nurse is someone who nurses people.


PA's and Doctors are Medics. They are both Medical Practitioners. But PA's are not Medical Doctors for the main reason that they haven't got the title.

If a Medical Provider wants to have a Doctorate in Medicine that person needs to go to Medical School.

Doctor is title that you get by schooling.

Registered Nurse is a title that you get by schooling.

Nobody can say that they are Doctors if they haven't got the title. Even in the traditional sense of the word a teacher has to go too a lot of rigorous schooling and dedication to learn and "be able to teach" (docere).

And historically the title "doctor" was always given to people who met the requirements and were more than capable to teach.

We could be talking about definitions all we want but at the end of the day Nurse is a title given to people who nurse and take care of the sick, Doctor is a title given to those who achieved the requirements and got the title, specifically those who went to Medical School and went through Residency.

The Medical Profession is already defined and has its historic definitions and foundations. That its not going to change. The historical definition of Doctor won't change.

Same with the historic definition of a Nurse.


Doctors and Nurses are different professions with different titles and historic definitions but they work together for the well sake of their patients.


I’m trying to educate you based on my 40 plus years of experience and how the real world is. Hopefully, you’ll catch on.


And in the real world "nurse" means: CNA, LPN or RN. Doctor means MD/DO, PhD, etc but specifically MD/DO, specially on a clinical setting.


In my own personal opinion I think PA's should have a bridge program for Medical School.
 
A more inside look into the definition of nurse:

Medical Spanish Dictionary:


Nurse: un término inglés que se aplica a las enfermeras o ATS profesionales

English Translation:

Nurse: an English term that it is applied to nurses or to Professional ATS (former CNAs in Spain)



Some more dictionaries:


nurse (nûrs)
n.
1. A person educated and trained to care for the sick or disabled.
2.
a. A woman employed to take care of a child; a nursemaid.
b. A woman employed to suckle children other than her own; a wet nurse.
3. One that serves as a nurturing or fostering influence or means: "Town life is the nurse of civilization" (C.L.R. James).
4. Zoology A worker ant or bee that feeds and cares for the colony's young.

v. nursed, nurs·ing, nurs·es
v.tr.
1. To serve as a nurse for: nursed the patient back to health.
2.
a. To cause or allow to take milk from the breast: a mother nursing her baby.
b. To feed at the breast of; suckle.
3. To try to cure by special care or treatment: nurse a cough with various remedies.
4. To treat carefully, especially in order to prevent pain: He nursed his injured knee by shifting his weight to the other leg.
5. To manage or guide carefully; look after with care; foster: nursed her business through the depression. See Synonyms at nurture.
6. To bear privately in the mind: nursing a grudge.
7. To consume slowly, especially in order to conserve: nursed one drink all evening.

v.intr.
1. To serve as a nurse.
2. To take nourishment from the breast; suckle.
[Middle English norice, nurse, wet nurse, from Old French norrice, from Vulgar Latin *nutrīcia, from Late Latin nūtrīcia, from feminine of Latin nūtrīcius, that suckles, from nūtrīx, nūtrīc-, wet nurse; see (s)nāu- in Indo-European roots.]
nurs′er n.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

nurse (nɜːs)
n
1. (Medicine) a person who tends the sick, injured, or infirm
2. short for nursemaid
3. a woman employed to breast-feed another woman's child; wet nurse
4. (Zoology) a worker in a colony of social insects that takes care of the larvae

vb (mainly tr)
5. (Medicine) (also intr) to tend (the sick)
6. (also intr) to feed (a baby) at the breast; suckle
7. to try to cure (an ailment)
8. to clasp carefully or fondly: she nursed the crying child in her arms.
9. (also intr) (of a baby) to suckle at the breast (of)
10. to look after (a child) as one's employment
11. to attend to carefully; foster, cherish: he nursed the magazine through its first year; having a very small majority he nursed the constituency diligently.
12. to harbour; preserve: to nurse a grudge.
13. (Billiards & Snooker) billiards to keep (the balls) together for a series of cannons
[C16: from earlier norice, Old French nourice, from Late Latin nūtrīcia nurse, from Latin nūtrīcius nourishing, from nūtrīre to nourish]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003


nurse (nɜrs)

n., v. nursed, nurs•ing. n.
1. a person formally educated and trained in the care of the sick or infirm, esp. a registered nurse.
2. a woman who has the general care of a child or children.
3. wet nurse.
4. a worker that attends the young in a colony of social insects.

v.t.
5. to tend in sickness, infirmity, etc.
6. to try to cure (an ailment) by taking care of oneself: to nurse a cold.
7. to suckle (an infant).
8. to handle carefully or fondly.
9. to use, consume, or dispense slowly or carefully: to nurse a cup of tea.
10. to keep steadily in mind: He nursed a grudge.
11. to feed and tend in infancy.
12. to bring up, train, or nurture.

v.i.
13. to suckle a child, esp. one's own.
14. (of a child) to suckle.
15. to act as nurse; tend the sick or infirm.
[1350–1400; Middle English, variant of n(o)urice, norice < Old French < Late Latin nūtrīcia, n. use of feminine of Latin nūtrīcius nutritious]
nurs′er, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.



auxiliary nurse
noun [C] UK (US nurse's aide)
› someone whose job is to help nurses to takecare of people
 
Last edited:
A more inside look into the definition of nurse:

Medical Spanish Dictionary:


Nurse: un término inglés que se aplica a las enfermeras o ATS profesionales

English Translation:

Nurse: an English term that it is applied to nurses or to Professional ATS (former CNAs in Spain)



Some more dictionaries:


nurse (nûrs)
n.
1. A person educated and trained to care for the sick or disabled.
2.
a. A woman employed to take care of a child; a nursemaid.
b. A woman employed to suckle children other than her own; a wet nurse.
3. One that serves as a nurturing or fostering influence or means: "Town life is the nurse of civilization" (C.L.R. James).
4. Zoology A worker ant or bee that feeds and cares for the colony's young.

v. nursed, nurs·ing, nurs·es
v.tr.
1. To serve as a nurse for: nursed the patient back to health.
2.
a. To cause or allow to take milk from the breast: a mother nursing her baby.
b. To feed at the breast of; suckle.
3. To try to cure by special care or treatment: nurse a cough with various remedies.
4. To treat carefully, especially in order to prevent pain: He nursed his injured knee by shifting his weight to the other leg.
5. To manage or guide carefully; look after with care; foster: nursed her business through the depression. See Synonyms at nurture.
6. To bear privately in the mind: nursing a grudge.
7. To consume slowly, especially in order to conserve: nursed one drink all evening.

v.intr.
1. To serve as a nurse.
2. To take nourishment from the breast; suckle.
[Middle English norice, nurse, wet nurse, from Old French norrice, from Vulgar Latin *nutrīcia, from Late Latin nūtrīcia, from feminine of Latin nūtrīcius, that suckles, from nūtrīx, nūtrīc-, wet nurse; see (s)nāu- in Indo-European roots.]
nurs′er n.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

nurse (nɜːs)
n
1. (Medicine) a person who tends the sick, injured, or infirm
2. short for nursemaid
3. a woman employed to breast-feed another woman's child; wet nurse
4. (Zoology) a worker in a colony of social insects that takes care of the larvae

vb (mainly tr)
5. (Medicine) (also intr) to tend (the sick)
6. (also intr) to feed (a baby) at the breast; suckle
7. to try to cure (an ailment)
8. to clasp carefully or fondly: she nursed the crying child in her arms.
9. (also intr) (of a baby) to suckle at the breast (of)
10. to look after (a child) as one's employment
11. to attend to carefully; foster, cherish: he nursed the magazine through its first year; having a very small majority he nursed the constituency diligently.
12. to harbour; preserve: to nurse a grudge.
13. (Billiards & Snooker) billiards to keep (the balls) together for a series of cannons
[C16: from earlier norice, Old French nourice, from Late Latin nūtrīcia nurse, from Latin nūtrīcius nourishing, from nūtrīre to nourish]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003


nurse (nɜrs)

n., v. nursed, nurs•ing. n.
1. a person formally educated and trained in the care of the sick or infirm, esp. a registered nurse.
2. a woman who has the general care of a child or children.
3. wet nurse.
4. a worker that attends the young in a colony of social insects.

v.t.
5. to tend in sickness, infirmity, etc.
6. to try to cure (an ailment) by taking care of oneself: to nurse a cold.
7. to suckle (an infant).
8. to handle carefully or fondly.
9. to use, consume, or dispense slowly or carefully: to nurse a cup of tea.
10. to keep steadily in mind: He nursed a grudge.
11. to feed and tend in infancy.
12. to bring up, train, or nurture.

v.i.
13. to suckle a child, esp. one's own.
14. (of a child) to suckle.
15. to act as nurse; tend the sick or infirm.
[1350–1400; Middle English, variant of n(o)urice, norice < Old French < Late Latin nūtrīcia, n. use of feminine of Latin nūtrīcius nutritious]
nurs′er, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.



auxiliary nurse
noun [C] UK (US nurse's aide)
› someone whose job is to help nurses to takecare of people


You have to take into account the expectations of the patient. If they are asking for their "nurse", and are expecting the person who can offer the full range of nursing interventions (the RN) then it's a misrepresentation to not make your role clear. If you are content to blur the lines, and want to roll the dice as to how your employer would interpret your actions, then that is your choice. My guess is that once crap hits the fan during a code and meds start being broken out, you'll decide that complete clarity involving your position as a CNA will benefit you more than sticking to semantics. The fact that society thinks of "nurses" as RNs (or LPNs) has to play in to how you represent yourself, no matter what definitions you would like to pull from a dictionary. You need to take into account perception. If I walk into a room, and someone assumes I'm a doctor, it's up to me to provide clarification as best I can. This comes into play even if they don't know the difference at first glance. Imagine them asking me a question, me telling them "I don't know"... They need to know that I'm replying that way as a nurse, and not a doctor. A nurse not knowing an answer is different from their doctor not knowing.

Frankly, I don't care as much about things like this until the point where it interferes with things running smoothly. You seem fixated on the title, ignoring that most of us as RNs really are more fixated on this from a perspective of patients knowing quickly and clearly who is taking care of them, and what they can expect from their care providers. You think nurses are clinging to the title of nurse for an ego trip (like you seen to be). Most of us just want our patients to know us from "Certified Nurses Assistant" (which is your title you took on)....Not "nurse". Based on the CNA title you hold, "assistant" (or "aid", as they are referred to in our facility) might even be more appropriate. You (and me, when I was an aid) can perform certain delegated nursing functions, but the title we held as Certified Nurses Assistants is our title... Not "nurse". Performing nursing functions doesn't make you a nurse any more than picking up trash in a patient room makes you a janitor or custodian. Me performing the tasks physicians used to perform doesn't make me a surgeon.
 
Last edited:
And in the real world "nurse" means: CNA, LPN or RN.
BS. I've never seen anyone who consider a CNA to be a nurse. Hey, is the MD a nurse too? Cuz they care for the patient! I assume you also consider nursing students and EMTs to be nurses. 🙄

You are a nurse if you hold a nursing degree, period. A mom with a warm blanket or a boyfriend holding your hair back as you vomit is not a nurse. An administrator who has an RN but hasn't touched a patient in a year is a nurse. A CNA is not.
 
BS. I've never seen anyone who consider a CNA to be a nurse.

The CNA has always been included in the Nurse Definition since the start. One thing is how the Patient and Society see the CNA and other thing is how you see your CNA.


Hey, is the MD a nurse too? Cuz they care for the patient! I assume you also consider nursing students and EMTs to be nurses.


MDs and EMTs are not nurses because they don't nurse the Patient.
A Doctor is a Medical Provider. He provides Medical Care not Nursing Care. There is where the title "nurse" comes from. A vet tech is an animal nurse because they nurse animals. Nurse is a title that you get for what you do not for a degree.


You are a nurse if you hold a nursing degree, period. A mom with a warm blanket or a boyfriend holding your hair back as you vomit is not a nurse. An administrator who has an RN but hasn't touched a patient in a year is a nurse. A CNA is not.



You are a Nurse when you nurse your Patient. A caring and good nurse is better and more effective than any other one who doesn't touch the Patient. Nurse is not an Academic Title. When the patient rings the call button for his/her "nurse" to "change" him/her he is not going to care what type of degree a nurse might have. He just wants a nurse to take care of him/her.


You seem fixated on the title, ignoring that most of us as RNs really are more fixated on this from a perspective of patients knowing quickly and clearly who is taking care of them, and what they can expect from their care providers.


But you don't seem to see that many are not doing this and are just saying this because they look down on CNAs. I am not fixated by my title. I present myself as a CNA. I don't care what my title is. Patient Care is my number one priority.

If the Priority is for Patients to know who is taking care of them then the most accurate and appropriate is to introduce oneself by their professional title.

You think nurses are clinging to the title of nurse for an ego trip (like you seen to be).


Some of them do. And they really talk bad about CNAs and Doctors. I don't have an ego trip. I just know who I am and give my patient the best care.



Most of us just want our patients to know us from "Certified Nurses Assistant" (which is your title you took on)....Not "nurse".


I didn't want to be called this title. I didn't selected it. But it's the Title that I got when I graduated. You are an RN not just a "nurse". Nurse is the title that you get when you "nurse" somebody. Other thing is that some people get hung over the title and make the use of it a legal issue.


Based on the CNA title you hold, "assistant" (or "aid", as they are referred to in our facility) might even be more appropriate. You (and me, when I was an aid) can perform certain delegated nursing functions, but the title we held as Certified Nurses Assistants is our title... Not "nurse".



Based on the title that you hold you are a Registered Nurse. It should be better and less confusing if you introduce yourself by your professional title. A patient might feel more safe and more comfortable knowing that they have a Registered Professional Nurse taking care of them and not just any "nurse".


Performing nursing functions doesn't make you a nurse any more than picking up trash in a patient room makes you a janitor or custodian. Me performing the tasks physicians used to perform doesn't make me a surgeon.


There is no such things as performing "nursing functions". If the person is nursing the individual that person is a nurse.


There is no way that nobody can perform the full role of a Physician without proper schooling and a Residency. I can't go around saying that I am a Doctor because that its a title that you earn in school. Doctors aren't called Doctors for "doctoring". They are called Doctors because they got that title in school.
Nurses are called "nurses" because they "nurse".


You have to take into account the expectations of the patient. If they are asking for their "nurse", and are expecting the person who can offer the full range of nursing interventions (the RN) then it's a misrepresentation to not make your role clear.

Sometimes the expectation of the Patient is for their nurse to come and change them. For their nurse to come and feed them, bathe them, etc. not all the time they are expecting medical care.


If you are content to blur the lines, and want to roll the dice as to how your employer would interpret your actions, then that is your choice.


I am not content in blurring the lines and I certainly don't blur them. Patients don't relate nursing with medical care only. That's why it is better that everybody introduce themselves by the Professional Title that they posses.

My guess is that once crap hits the fan during a code and meds start being broken out, you'll decide that complete clarity involving your position as a CNA will benefit you more than sticking to semantics.


Crap won't hit the fan because I abide by my Scope of Practice.


The fact that society thinks of "nurses" as RNs (or LPNs) has to play in to how you represent yourself, no matter what definitions you would like to pull from a dictionary.


But CNAs are also included in this conception of society. Nobody is "pulling words out of a dictionary" those are the definitions of what a nurse is. If you think differently that is your personal opinion but that is what a nurse is.
 
Dude, your responses are getting a little painful to read. I usually just lurk but I feel my 2 cents may help you understand. Granted zen already said this, but you seem to refuse to look at the word nurse as a noun and doctor as a verb.

You are correct that anyone can nurse(verb). For example, nursing(verb) a child. This however does not make the caretaker a nurse(noun) even though he/she is partaking in the action of nursing (verb). Just how anyone can nurse(verb) anyone can doctor(verb). For example, doctor(verb) a jeep, like zen said. Again, this does not make the person a doctor(noun) even though he/she is doctoring(verb).

As a CNA, you perform duties that fall into the category of nursing(verb) and contrary to your statements you have also doctored(verb). However, this does not make you a nurse(noun) or doctor(noun). You say that you are a nurse(noun) because you have nursed(verb) and if this is true then you are also a doctor(noun) because we have all doctored(verb). I know you have said no one can doctor(verb) without proper school and so on but this is incorrect. If I feel a little Ill and go to the pharmacy for remedies I have just doctored(verb) my ailment. However, this will never make me a doctor(noun).

I hope you get the point people have been trying to show you. And I hope I was able to clearly and respectfully explain this. Good luck in your future endeavors.
 
Do you call your TA (teacher's assistant) professor? No, because they do not hold the degree which that title implies.
Do you call your PA (physician's assistant) doctor? No, because they do not hold the degree which that title implies.
Do you call your CNA (nurse's assistant) nurse? No, because they do not hold the degree which that title implies.

TAs teach (verb), PAs practice medicine, and CNAs nurse (verb)...but that does not grant them the title, and they can only teach (verb), practice medicine, and nurse (verb) under the authority and scope of someone who DOES hold that title and degree.
 
What everyone is catching is the selective adherence to some words in the verb form, and some in the noun. It keeps us scratching our heads. I get what you are saying about being proud to perform patient care and nursing functions. I don't mind the notion of different levels in the nursing continuum consisting of everything from CNA to NP. In fact, I wish that the encouraged pathway through nursing consisted of more travel through the non RN portions. Like PAs used to be mostly folks with experience from other wings of healthcare, and now generally aren't, I think nursing has changed towards drawing from folks outside healthcare to fill their ranks. I don't want to see a pay your dues mentality as much as a "build your skills up" one. From nurses standpoint, it's about just being clear. You say that there is no such thing as nursing functions, but from a communications and academic standpoint, in school and beyond we differentiate based on that distinction, and it's a real descriptor we use. For instance, adjusting oxygen.... At my facility, adjustment of oxygen would be understood as a "nursing function". Aids wouldn't be doing that except under direction of a nurse. It's nurse dependent. It's just a descriptor, not a power play.
 
PA (physician's assistant)

nevermind-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-214.gif
 
Dude, your responses are getting a little painful to read. I usually just lurk but I feel my 2 cents may help you understand. Granted zen already said this, but you seem to refuse to look at the word nurse as a noun and doctor as a verb.






Thanks a lot for the response. Since this thread is about PAs and not about Nursing Staff I will explain this for the last time:


Doctor is not a verb, it's a noun. An academic one. Nobody can "doctor" nobody since such a verb doesn't exist. Doctor is a title that you get after schooling. There is a big difference. The verb "docere" means teaching and everybody can teach( "docere") but not anybody can fulfill the requirements and get the degree to be more than capable to teach.

There is a difference between docere(verb) and Doctor(Noun).

The title Doctor has its origins in the Church and was only reserved to great Philosophers of the Church. The Church had many "teachers" but only a selected group were called Doctors.

The term Doctor was and is a term reserved to those who excelled at teaching. Doctor has always been an Academic Degree.

Everybody can "teach" but to be a Doctor one must go to an extensive Academic Process and after the qualifications are met and passed one can call himself/herself Doctor.

The term "nurse" was referred to mothers nursing infants. When a mother suckled a child that mother "nourished" the child. The nourisher was called nurse not because of schooling (that is the case of being a Doctor) but because of her actions(nursing).

Then the term started being referred (only or mostly) to women(any women) taking care of the sick.

Nurse is a noun that comes from the actions not for the schooling.


If I feel a little Ill and go to the pharmacy for remedies I have just doctored(verb) my ailment

You "nursed" your ailment. You didn't "doctored" your ailment.

You could be a "nurse" to yourself, go to the Pharmacy and get some "remedies" to your ailment.

But you can never be an RN because to be a Registered Professional Nurse you need to go through extensive schooling and preparation to be one. It's an Academic Degree.

You say that you are a nurse(noun) because you have nursed(verb)

Correct. There is where the noun comes from. Even if the "caretaker" doesn't present himself as a nurse....

Orders like the one of Malta, Saint Lazarus, Teutonic Knights and many more are considered orders of nurses yet they never presented themselves as "nurses" however they are a fundamental part of our history. Even Florence was a Deaconess before she started the Movement of Modern Nursing. And as a Deaconess she got a big bulk of her fundamentals, knowledge, etc and combined those with her experienced knowledge and founded the Modern Nursing Movement.

Nurses throughout time have had many names, ex: Deacon/Deaconesses. But they are all considered nurses because they've nursed.

Nurse is a noun that you get for your actions(nursing).

But Professional Titles such as Registered Professional Nurse, Doctor, Licensed Practical Nurse are titles that must be used only by the people who met the requirements and got the degree.

and if this is true then you are also a doctor(noun) because we have all doctored(verb).

and contrary to your statements you have also doctored(verb).

No. We all teach. But to be a Doctor you need the schooling. My role is not to "doctor" patients but to nurse them. I leave the "doctoring" in medical issues to those who went to school and got the degree(MD/DO's).

Nouns such as Doctor, RN, LPN and many more are ONLY obtained by going to School.

But Doctors don't get their title for "doctoring" (and they have never had), Doctor has always been an honorific title(since the times of the Early Church).

St Augustine is a Doctor of the Church not because he "doctored" he is a Doctor of the Church because of his excellence, philosophy, Doctrine, etc.


The Church had many "teachers" but only a few are called Doctors.


MD/DOs are Doctors not because they "doctor", they are Doctors because they acquired that title and they posses the ability to diagnose, treat disease, find cures for them, and of course, "teach (docere)" people about them.


Everybody can "teach" and be a "teacher (magister)" but not anybody can be a Doctor unless that person has been granted the title by an Institution or School. Back then it was the Church, then Physicians, and now there are plenty of programs who grant a Doctorate title. But Doctor has always been a title reserved to those who have fulfilled the requirements, is not a noun that you get for what you do (and it will never be).


Nowadays the title has been watered down and everybody is getting their doctorate, Patients don't even know who their Doctor is anymore....

As a CNA, you perform duties that fall into the category of nursing(verb)



As a CNA I nurse my patients. I don't "doctor" my patients. I can teach but I cannot be a Doctor until I get the degree.


You are correct that anyone can nurse(verb). For example, nursing(verb) a child. This however does not make the caretaker a nurse(noun) even though he/she is partaking in the action of nursing (verb).

And the person "nursing" by all that means is a nurse. Since "nurse" is a noun that comes from the action of nursing(verb). A person"partaking in the action of nursing" is a nurse.

The term "nurse" has been medicalized too much. A nurse is the caregiver, the caretaker and much more.

Patients don't even know who their nurse is and what nursing is supposed to be anymore. Instead, the "regulations" and "title protection acts" "created to protect them" end up confusing them more.



And I hope I was able to clearly and respectfully explain this. Good luck in your future endeavors.

I do appreciate the response and wish you the best luck to you too.



Do you call your TA (teacher's assistant) professor? No, because they do not hold the degree which that title implies.


Teachers are called that because they teach. And anybody could be a "teacher"(noun) but not anyone can be a Teacher(Educational and Professional Noun). TA's help with teaching. They don't teach on their own.

TAs teach (verb), PAs practice medicine, and CNAs nurse (verb)...but that does not grant them the title, and they can only teach (verb), practice medicine, and nurse (verb) under the authority and scope of someone who DOES hold that title and degree.


If TA's "teach" then they are teachers and not TA's but TA's have a very specific role: to assist the Teacher. Meanwhile the Teacher gives the Class the TA helps by providing special attention to students, assist the group, cover(if necessary) but the TA is not giving class on a daily basis.

If TA's do this then they are teachers and not TA's

TA's assist the Teacher( who is "teaching" and giving the Class).

The Teacher is teaching and the TA is helping to maintain the Class on Float.

Other thing is that TA's are being used as teachers to save a buck or two but TA's role is not to "teach" but to help the Teacher.


PA's are Medical Providers because they practice Medicine but they are not Doctors because they didn't got the degree in Medical School.

PA's and Doctors are Medical Practitioners and Providers. It's totally ok to call a PA or Doctor Medical Provider or Medic.

In Spanish countries Doctors are still called Medics(Médicos) because a Medic is one who practices medicine and this noun is still used in Spanish, Portuguese, and some other languages that come from Latin.

But PA's are not Medicine Doctors because they haven't got a Doctorate Degree in Medicine. Yes, they are on the same group of Medical Practitioners(Medics) but the Highest level that a Medical Practitioner can achieve on Medicine is a Doctorate.

When a person gets the Doctorate then that person gets the Title Doctor.

CNA's nurse and that's the reason why some Patients (especially the confused ones) might call them "nurse". They are not Registered Nurses or Licensed Practical Nurses because they didn't got that degree in school.


Teachers teach and that's the reason why they are called Teachers, Medical Practitioners practice Medicine and that's the reason why they are called Medical Practitioners and Nurses nurse and that's the reason why they are called nurses.


Nurses "nurse", teachers "teach", liars "lie", employers "employ", employees are "employed", Managers "manage", Instructors "instruct", leaders "lead", workers "work" and so on.

All those are nouns that come from the action(verbs).

Other nouns such as Doctor, RN, LPN and many more are ONLY obtained by going to School.


I finalize my participation on the Thread. Thanks to everyone that responded.
 
What everyone is catching is the selective adherence to some words in the verb form, and some in the noun. It keeps us scratching our heads. I get what you are saying about being proud to perform patient care and nursing functions. I don't mind the notion of different levels in the nursing continuum consisting of everything from CNA to NP. In fact, I wish that the encouraged pathway through nursing consisted of more travel through the non RN portions.


I totally agree with your opinion. I also think that Aides should be more encouraged to go to Practical or Professional Nursing Programs. There is very little opportunity as an Aide to get into this programs.

A good solution might be to grandfather Aides as Practical Nurses.

Creating a Bridge Program for Aides to go to Practical Nursing would be a great idea. I know many Aides who would love to become LPNs. Then, after they get their License they might consider whether to go and become RNs or just stay as LPNs but the RN option should be encouraged.





Like PAs used to be mostly folks with experience from other wings of healthcare, and now generally aren't,

I think there should be a Bridge Program for PA's to go to Medical School. I know about the PA-DO Bridge Program but I haven't heard of any other program.

Maybe turning a lot of PA Schools into Medical Schools and grandfather in a huge percentage of PA's might be a good solution to the shortage of Physicians.


From nurses standpoint, it's about just being clear. You say that there is no such thing as nursing functions, but from a communications and academic standpoint, in school and beyond we differentiate based on that distinction, and it's a real descriptor we use. For instance, adjusting oxygen.... At my facility, adjustment of oxygen would be understood as a "nursing function". Aids wouldn't be doing that except under direction of a nurse. It's nurse dependent. It's just a descriptor, not a power play.


I do understand that each nursing professional has a well defined Scope of Practice and that we should abide by those regulations.

I know for sure that most of the CNAs who say they are nurses are just being proud of taking care of their Patients and don't want to jump outside their Scope. A lot of these CNAs go to Practical Nursing School and become great LPNs. Also being a CNA is a great way to know whether one wants to keep going in the Nursing Profession, choose another career in the Healthcare field or not be in the healthcare field.

But at the same time not recognizing CNAs as nurses can also be profitable for some places.

The noun "nurse" has become a money factor these days and it is more cheaper to pay somebody who is not legally recognized as a nurse to do LPN functions than to pay a Licensed Practical Nurse.

In some places CNAs even deal with oxygen and do many other things for less money and I don't think this should be done since it is way outside the Scope of CNAs.

By recognizing CNAs as nurses we are also protecting the Patient and preventing CNAs from being used as LPNs.

Making sure that they are well recognized in the Nursing Team and making sure that their Scope of Practice is defined is an excellent way to protect the Patients health and ensure that our beloved Patients are receiving the best care.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CNAs do not earn credits that could transfer over to an LPN program; there's nothing to "bridge."

Despite all of your protestations to the contrary, I think you are very caught up on titles. If you weren't, you wouldn't be trying to blur the lines between what you do, and what a nurse does. To imply that you are something more than you actually are is disingenuous.

CNAs are a necessary part of the health care team. Be proud of what you are. If you find it's not enough for you, then go back to school and fulfill the requirements to become a nurse.

Reporting people who claim to be nurses but aren't to the state has nothing to do with "turf." It has everything to do with patient safety. I'm pretty sure you don't want to have a patient telling a nurse that you led him/her to believe that you were a nurse. You might get away with a slap on the wrist the first time; after that, it might not be so pretty.

Oh, and you are wrong about "doctor" not being a verb. If you'd pick up a dictionary, you would know better.

That's all I have to say. Another post from you will make my eyes bleed.
 
Auxiliary nurse....
Not all RNs are degree holding RNs. Some are diploma holding nurses. RN isn't the academic distinction as much as the position achieved.

But anyway, here's a good example I should have thought of sooner. Police. You can "police" the lawbreakers without being a member of the police. If you claim to be part of the police without officially being part of the police, you are out of line, and impersonating a police officer regardless of what "policing" you are performing.
 
Auxiliary nurse....
Not all RNs are degree holding RNs. Some are diploma holding nurses. RN isn't the academic distinction as much as the position achieved.

But anyway, here's a good example I should have thought of sooner. Police. You can "police" the lawbreakers without being a member of the police. If you claim to be part of the police without officially being part of the police, you are out of line, and impersonating a police officer regardless of what "policing" you are performing.

"RN" is a license designation. I went to a three year hospital based program to become a nurse. My diploma from the school of nursing is my proof that I completed the program. I have a license from the state designating that I am a registered nurse.
 
poorly spcaed giberish

Please stop hitting the return bar between sentences; type in paragraphs. Your posts are incredibly long and tough to read. It would be much better if you typed in paragraph form.

PA's are Medical Providers because they practice Medicine but they are not Doctors because they didn't got the degree in Medical School

Similarly CNA are nursing providers because they provided nursing care but are not nurses because they didn't get the degree in nursing school
 
Anymore, PA's, and other physician-extenders, can accurately be called "doctor" it seems. Clearly the term is contingent upon the evolving conventional understanding of that word and it's relation to the one providing care. That said, PA's and NP's cannot be called Physicians. These days with the strong lobbying for egalitarianism among healthcare providers, the only true distinguishing terms are "physician" vs. "non-physician" provider.
 
AuxNurse: Since you seem to be intransigent on the advice/opinions of people here with a great deal more experience than you, I predict that someday reality will hit you upside the head; perhaps this "reality" will be from a "real" nurse who publicly chews your a$$ after you refer to yourself as a nurse to a patient. At that point you may finally understand how screwed up your entitlement mentality is (Unless, of course, you go to work in Academia....reality rarely intrudes there so you would be safe in your delusions).

If you want to be called a "Nurse", then earn the title. Go to school.

Same thing with NPs & PAs. If you want to be called Doctor in a clinical setting, then go to medical school.
 
If you want to be called doctor you need to go to medical school. Whoever suggested grandfathering PA to be a doctor.......that will never happen. MD and DO go through much more training and the reason we are called doctor. Medical school is 4 years and then the shortest residency is 3 years after that. Training is no were near comparable and physicians will never allow them be grandfathered in to Doctors.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only PA I ever called "doctor" was one who had a PhD in PA studies. He was an ED provider, and I honestly didn't know he was a PA until wayyyyyyyy later. *shrugs*
 
Wow, this thread reads like a massive brainfart (from one particular person).

I'm an NP and I always introduce myself as "Hi, I'm jbeau, I'm a nurse practitioner." Patients still call me doctor. I used to correct them because I found it annoying and wanted to make the distinction between an NP and physician, but it has never really stuck with any of my patients, and the ones that DO understand the distinction still call me doctor because "[I'm] doing the same thing doctors do." I've had some get caught up on the word "nurse" in nurse practitioner and want to see a physician but then when they see a physician at my practice they usually come back and see me since I spend more time with them since physicians generally are overworked, at least in primary care. Even physicians will call me doctor. Most consult reports I get back are addressed to "Dr. jbeau, nurse practitioner" even though I don't have a DNP or PhD, and I sign my name as NP-C or FNP and don't put Dr. in front of my own name, ever. I've learned to just let it slide because it's time wasted I could spend listening to the patient.
 
Wow, this thread reads like a massive brainfart (from one particular person).

I'm an NP and I always introduce myself as "Hi, I'm jbeau, I'm a nurse practitioner." Patients still call me doctor. I used to correct them because I found it annoying and wanted to make the distinction between an NP and physician, but it has never really stuck with any of my patients, and the ones that DO understand the distinction still call me doctor because "[I'm] doing the same thing doctors do." I've had some get caught up on the word "nurse" in nurse practitioner and want to see a physician but then when they see a physician at my practice they usually come back and see me since I spend more time with them since physicians generally are overworked, at least in primary care. Even physicians will call me doctor. Most consult reports I get back are addressed to "Dr. jbeau, nurse practitioner" even though I don't have a DNP or PhD, and I sign my name as NP-C or FNP and don't put Dr. in front of my own name, ever. I've learned to just let it slide because it's time wasted I could spend listening to the patient.
:bow: