Do you fear not getting in anywhere???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm genuinly concerned..

Having been unsuccessful in the last cycle, the fear is worse this cycle.

And whenever I come to SDN I feel like I'm the only idiot who's worried about not getting in anywhere

Members don't see this ad.

Not really. If I can't be a doctor then I'll go NP, PA or CRNA.

I'm genuinly concerned..

Having been unsuccessful in the last cycle, the fear is worse this cycle.

And whenever I come to SDN I feel like I'm the only idiot who's worried about not getting in anywhere

No you are def. not the only one, I am quiet worried as well. Since I keep getting rejections and holds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im VERY worried about not getting in anywhere this cycle (or ever)...and what I would even do to improve my app being that it would take years to significantly improve my ug GPA and thats whats really hurting my app! we have to just give it our best shots! im prepared to apply DO later in the cycle or next yr if I don't get any MD interviews.........we just have to stay positive and keep busy doing other things so that medical school applications arent the ONLY thing on our minds! i know i know, easier said then done! :p

I agree.

One rejection, One hold, and a whole lot of deafening silence.

The Silence sux even more imo, at least be nice and rip the "bandaid" off fast, instead of the slow torture.

The Silence sux even more imo, at least be nice and rip the "bandaid" off fast, instead of the slow torture.

I know.. I wonder when this silence would end.. Waiting game is not fun.. starcraft is fun though.. I don't know why i just said that

The reality of med school admissions, in the aggregate numbers, is harsh. What, about 60 percent do NOT get in anywhere? So of course you have to think about it, but don't fear it.

If you applied broadly and early including all of your state schools, there is not much more you can do about it.

If I did not get in this cycle I would apply again. Damn I feel bad i onoly applied to 8 schools completely. and 2 secondaries I have not done I. I now know mistake number one was not applying to more schools. :idea:

This is the #1 fear of essentially EVERY SINGLE PREMED on Earth! If a premed doesn't have this fear, he/she is either:

1) A superstar applicant with the 4.0 GPA, 43 MCAT, glowing LORs, and more hours doing all sorts of volunteering that would make Jesus himself feel like he didn't do enough!

2) Completely oblivious as to just how hard it is to get in to medical school.

3) Unbelievably arrogant.

Hang in there, people! We all still have a long way to go.:luck:

How is it possible man that you won't get in anywhere?
If you don't get in somewhere this year, I propose a revolution on the medical school admission process.

While I thank you for your support, I must acknowledge that my GPA isn't great - however I do think I've shown a lot of dedication to medicine in my re-app. I sure hope that the adcoms see that in me.

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be the highest level of suck possible.

I would reapply next year, but I'd have to find a full time job in the meantime because I'm already way in debt because my high school guidance counselor screwed me over. Paying loans while I'm out of school and not having health insure would be horrible.

I probably won't get in anyway because all my secondaries are done, but my premed office STILL hasn't sent my LORs yet. They said they would back in August.

My premed advisor is on sabbatical this year and is NEVER around. He sucks.

I think everyone fears this! If I don't in this cycle I'm just going to go to SGU for August 2010 instead. Fighting an uphill battle is better to me than wasting another year of my life. Some may say this is foolish and I should apply again but I'm ready to move on. I'm tired of being pre-med and at this point I'd rather go to graduate school or SGU than re-apply.

Hang in there everyone!

I keep telling myself I'll just reapply next year if I don't get in, but I honestly don't know if I can go through this again!

I guess I may take 2 years off to get a masters.

so what should I do? Go Carrib? Or get a 2 years MS in Chem Engineering, and apply / work after that? I'd have to retake the MCAT but that's fine. In the Caribbean case - I'd surely hope that I'd get admitted to Ross or SGU.

I am super nervous about this too. Since it is my 3rd time applying I am kind of getting used to it though. I promised my fiance that I will only apply 5 times. At that point I will stop wasting our money and move on with my life. But I am sure I will always wish... :(

I am super nervous about this too. Since it is my 3rd time applying I am kind of getting used to it though. I promised my fiance that I will only apply 5 times. At that point I will stop wasting our money and move on with my life. But I am sure I will always wish... :(

Yeah - your story is especially worrying.

If I didn't get in this cycle, I would just have to take it as a blessing in disguise and apply with an added year of experience in EC's next cycle. I would probably go DO for safety too since my stats aren't glamorous.... probably wouldn't consider anymore coursework or retaking the MCAT. Who knows.... if I don't get in this year my application could be strengthened with a publication, more teaching experience and more time spent working in the hospital.

Sucks to even think about it...

2 rejections in one day, awesome way to start the weekend :laugh:

It's okay, 2 down, 20 more to go, hopefully at least one of them would want me :smuggrin:

I am :xf:on UMass (who interviews ~60% of applicants)

To the OP, yes now with 2 rejections, I am starting to fear :scared:, but as a wise man has once said, "Worrying is like rocking a chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere"

Johnnie Walker will take care of my fear tonight...

Worrying about (or should I say obsessing over) getting accepted has turned me into a space cadet. I keep trying to distract myself with different activities, but I def' haven't been very successful so far. There is only so much you can do at 3 in the morning when you wake up in a panic.:oops:

Worrying about (or should I say obsessing over) getting accepted has turned me into a space cadet. I keep trying to distract myself with different activities, but I def' haven't been very successful so far. There is only so much you can do at 3 in the morning when you wake up in a panic.:oops:

Haha, so true!

Last week I my head messed with me.. First, I had this really vivid dream that I got accepted and was SO happy.. Then, in the magical way that dreams do, all of a sudden I was in another dream and had gotten rejected from everywhere with no hope of ever getting in. VERY vivid. I woke up so disoriented and panicked... Hopefully no more nightmares!

Me too! I dreamt the other night that I got rejected from every school I applied to. It was such an upsetting dream, I was heartbroken! :laugh: So glad I could snap out of that one..

Me too! I dreamt the other night that I got rejected from every school I applied to. It was such an upsetting dream, I was heartbroken! :laugh: So glad I could snap out of that one..

Thank God! I'm not the only one who gets these dreams! Although my subconscious went a little further....after all the schools rejected me, my OWN PARENTS did too! :(

I swear, applying to med school is bad for our health. :rolleyes:

They put us through so much pain, this should be illegal.:laugh:

Well, you know, in Chinese there's a saying that goes "Dreams are opposite of Reality." I'd take that as a good sign :D

Guys it's okay, it's only September... I'm starting to realize how crazy I am for thinking about this scenario already. Maybe in February and I have the same results, but not now.

Atleast we have each other for support through this process... good luck everybody
We all care a heck of a lot about becoming doctors, let's have it show through in the rest of this cycle :thumbup:

Guys it's okay, it's only September... I'm starting to realize how crazy I am for thinking about this scenario already. Maybe in February and I have the same results, but not now.

Atleast we have each other for support through this process... good luck everybody
We all care a heck of a lot about becoming doctors, let's have it show through in the rest of this cycle :thumbup:

Aw...that's so sweet. Now let's all sit in a circle and sing kumbaya.

u guys should look into special master's programs or other programs designed to get you into med school.

Last time I applied, Davis did not even send me a secondary and when I asked for feedback they suggested I do an SMP. I improved my app in other ways. This year they are interviewing me. cGPA = 3.7, sGPA = 3.5. I don't yet have a contingency plan for if I don't get in this year and I'm not sure if SMP should be part of it, but how low should the GPA be to consider SMP?

Aw...that's so sweet. Now let's all sit in a circle and sing kumbaya.

lol... followed by a group hug?

ok maybe overly sentimental, but just trying to be positive!

Atleast we have each other for support through this process...

Definitely a good thing, but I think an amusing cycle goes on hear at SDN:

Neurotic premeds :)scared:) come here for advice and support from not-as-neurotic premeds :)cool:) to calm them down :)scared:-->:cool:). Then the not-as-neurotic premeds become neurotic because of the amazing people on SDN, troll posts, rejections, etc :)cool:-->:scared:). So, they seek advice and support from newly not-as-neurotic premeds to switch back again!

It's a cycle of us continually making each other neurotic and calming each other down!!:laugh:

Everyone here needs to be patient. Whether you get invited now or later, you'll have the same outcome... and chances are, if you get invited later, your head won't be as big as the guy next to you in class that got invited earlier. You won't be a know-it-all, you'll be a bit more modest, and you'll work harder than him. You'll be a better physician ;) Look at the bright side.

Yes... I am worried about being rejected everywhere. Life sucks... Any suggestions on improving my app?

Definitely a good thing, but I think an amusing cycle goes on hear at SDN:

Neurotic premeds :)scared:) come here for advice and support from not-as-neurotic premeds :)cool:) to calm them down :)scared:-->:cool:). Then the not-as-neurotic premeds become neurotic because of the amazing people on SDN, troll posts, rejections, etc :)cool:-->:scared:). So, they seek advice and support from newly not-as-neurotic premeds to switch back again!

It's a cycle of us continually making each other neurotic and calming each other down!!:laugh:

Hahaha... so true, I come here to seek support yet at the same time end up feeding my neuroticism... yikes :p

Yes... I am worried about being rejected everywhere. Life sucks... Any suggestions on improving my app?

at this point, I don't think so other than being patient.

This has probably already been said, but isn't that fear the entire basis of this site's existence and popularity?

I mean, the number one way people find this site is by googling 'what are my chances'?

This has probably already been said, but isn't that fear the entire basis of this site's existence and popularity?

I mean, the number one way people find this site is by googling 'what are my chances'?

touche

Starting to feel this way... I just got put on "Continue to review" by Penn State. So far no interviews...

yea i was thinking about this on saturday. itd suck to not get into md or do, esp with all the money spent. i guess ill take it one at a time

On Hold from Case, rejected by Vandy...seems like deja vu...

Medical school was actually my second choice. I originally wanted to be a bear, but the salmon rates this year seemed pretty terrible. I'll go back to being a bear if I don't get into medical school this year.

:laugh:

I like this thread though. We need more like it.

"Hi, we're the people that are having a tough time getting into med school. Won't you join us?"

Figures I post in here, and less than 2 hours later I get an interview lol