Do you feel dental fees are too high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hafido

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this question: Are dental fees too high?

Members don't see this ad.

NO most dentists are raising their prices. Sure everyone needs to do some pro bono work every now and again, but as it stands, we have to make a living somehow!

No, They've got to pay off those loans somehow. :) If the cost of our dental education wasn't so high then dentists wouldn't have to charge what they do.

Members don't see this ad :)
....is the cost of that plasma television u've been eyeing too high?

i think if one places a low priority on their dental health...then dental fees will always be "too high".

at least half (probably more) of the fees go to lab work, supplies, instruments and other equipment, and paying the staff their wages and benefits, and keeping the lights on and paying rent or paying back loans from buying the practice. then there is paying back loans from the education. also don't forget payments made on malpractice insurance and lawyers. subtract all that from the fees and the amount the dr actually takes home for his time and labor are not even half of what you the patient pay him. not arguing that dentists make a really nice living for the hours they work, but some of the general public probably doesn't realize when they are complaining about high fees that out of the $1000 they paid for the crown the dentist might only bring home 350 of it.

i dont think i see a point in trying to rationalize the value of your time...
i mean, if u are accused of murdering your wife and her "friend" outside your brentwood home...are u going to ask your lawyers if their fees are too high?

the patient is paying for a service.
..the patient is paying for all of those years of training and experience so that they can be confident that they will receive quality dental care...

toothcaries said:
i dont think i see a point in trying to rationalize the value of your time...
i mean, if u are accused of murdering your wife and her "friend" outside your brentwood home...are u going to ask your lawyers if their fees are too high?

the patient is paying for a service.
..the patient is paying for all of those years of training and experience so that they can be confident that they will receive quality dental care...

YES, and they are paying me so I can have a good lifestyle. If I wanted to make 25k a year, I would go and flip burgers. If I wanted to make 50-75k year I would get a 4 year education and teach or something, If I wanted to make 125-175k year, I would get a 8 year education (which I am), If I wanted to make 225-300k year I would get a 12 year education (ortho or something else) See it all leads down to how many years we live poor until we start making money. My friends that didn't go to college already are buying new jeeps etc... and I get jealous of them all the time. Well thats good for now, but when I start to make my 100k year in a couple of years, I will buy me a hummer and then they can be jealous of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm sorry but dental fees ARE IN FACT TOO HIGH.

I know somebody who needed 2 wisdom teeth removed. We're not talking about serious surgery here, just simple teeth removal.

The total bill was $1000, of which insurance only paid 60%.

$1000 for pulling teeth is a ****ing joke.

I think its time for a universal right to dentistry. Why should rich people be the only ones who can afford good dental health? John Kerry needs to support universal dentistry for ALL! :laugh:

MacGyver said:

I know somebody who needed 2 wisdom teeth removed. We're not talking about serious surgery here, just simple teeth removal.

I think its time for a universal right to dentistry. Why should rich people be the only ones who can afford good dental health? John Kerry needs to support universal dentistry for ALL! :laugh:
You summed it all up when you mentioned JOHN KERRY. IGNORANCE. The only thing I can say to this quote is GET REAL.

c132 said:
YES, and they are paying me so I can have a good lifestyle. If I wanted to make 25k a year, I would go and flip burgers. If I wanted to make 50-75k year I would get a 4 year education and teach or something, If I wanted to make 125-175k year, I would get a 8 year education (which I am), If I wanted to make 225-300k year I would get a 12 year education (ortho or something else) See it all leads down to how many years we live poor until we start making money. My friends that didn't go to college already are buying new jeeps etc... and I get jealous of them all the time. Well thats good for now, but when I start to make my 100k year in a couple of years, I will buy me a hummer and then they can be jealous of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Dont be a d*ck and buy a gas-wasting, polluting, piece-of-garbage Hummer. Wouldn't you rather spend that gas money on an awesome vacation or an even bigger house?

MacGyver said:

if it's so simplE...
...then why didn't they just do it themselves?

..i dont know what was done....but ur friend may have gotten a good deal.
here is an oral surgery fee survey for san francisco..

Service- Average - Highest Fee(95th percentile)
Initial Surgical Consultation - $94.00 - $141.00
Simple Extraction (single tooth) $141.00 $197.00
Simple Extraction (each additional tooth) $147.00 $188.00
Surgical Extraction $273.00 $329.00
Soft Tissue Impaction $329.00 $395.00
Full Bony Impaction $683.00 $771.00
Partial Bony Impaction $466.00 $545.00
Complicated Impaction $1115.00 $1523.00
Panarex $118.00 $160.00
General Anesthesia - per unit $222.00 $282.00
Surgical Implant Placement $2688.00 $4196.00
Abutment Implant Placement $1426.00 $2232.00

and there is no such thing as "dental insurance" imo.
it is a subsidy...from an employee's viewpoint it is a "benefit"

life-death issues are covered under medical insurance.

a dental catastrophe means u are getting dentures....

Members don't see this ad :)
gatorfan99 said:
Dont be a d*ck and buy a gas-wasting, polluting, piece-of-garbage Hummer. Wouldn't you rather spend that gas money on an awesome vacation or an even bigger house?

word.
thats why i only drive earth friendly ford f-150's....
....but if i had kids, i would go for something more family-friendly and just as treehugging....maybe a toyota sequoia.
:)

MacGyver said:

QUOTE]

(Have you heard this one......?)

It's only $100 to extract the teeth. The extra $900 is because I know how...

gatorfan99 said:

Hey gator fan, YOu have a lot of mouth for a first year that has been in school for 3 days now!!!! I heard they were going to let you graduate next week since you know it all...

Hey c132
What does gatorfans comment on what car a person drives have to do with being in school any amount of time. Dental students are such tools

As far as the question at hand the answer is no, one of my bench instructors told me you should charge as much as patients are willing to pay and an amount you don't feel guilty charging.

hafido said:
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this question: Are dental fees too high?

are you kidding me?
look at my signature

MacGyver said:

Sorry, Mac. Didn't mean to give you another reason to be bitter about your career. :D

Of course, you could make everyone a lot happier and just quit trolling here. ;)

We all know what MacGyver's purposes are in posting. Keep the responses to a minimum, he won't come around to read them anyway.

This topic is a great one, though, and MacGyver's response, while not written appropriately to engage others in a polite debate, is a response held by many.

anamod said:
Hey c132
What does gatorfans comment on what car a person drives have to do with being in school any amount of time. Dental students are such tools

Its from a different post. It was to gatorfan, NOT anamod. Didn't your mama teach you better!!! (just kidding)

I think more businesses should include plans for their employees which cover dental care. At least the basics. Up here in Canada, Ontario Hydro always covered dental expenses for their employees and families. I see my dentist almost every year and probably have only seen my MD like three times total. It makes me more conscious of keeping my teeth healthy on a regular basis.
If the client is looking for something more cosmetic however, then they should have to pay whatever the market forces charge them.

some insurance companies (ie delta) have not adjusted the dental maximum/ year for inflation in over 40 years..

($1000 in 2004 is not the same as $1000 in 1964)