Do you feel that perio is under treated/under diagnosed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is something that concerns me. I have temped in over 30 practices and have seen insurance driven diagnosing in many of them, especially amongst older dentists. I guess my question is this: is a 5mm pocket an automatic SRP? What about a bleeding 4mm? Is that just a prophy? (assume no recession, posterior tooth, healthy patient...)

Also, when is a perio referral warranted? I have seen such a variety of opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

This is something that concerns me. I have temped in over 30 practices and have seen insurance driven diagnosing in many of them, especially amongst older dentists. I guess my question is this: is a 5mm pocket an automatic SRP? What about a bleeding 4mm? Is that just a prophy? (assume no recession, posterior tooth, healthy patient...)

Also, when is a perio referral warranted? I have seen such a variety of opinions.

My opinion: both situations treated with srp for initial therapy and then re-eval.

It is the dental teams' job to make the patient OWN THE DISEASE in order to take insurance out of the equation.

As for surgery. .depends on extent and severity of disease. A maintainable 5mm pocket in my office wouldn't be referred, but a 7 mm would.

Hup

Last edited: