Do you go to class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you?

• Yes

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • Varies

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Derp

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters

TehDoc

What a pain...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the exception of labs or being late, how many of you just don't go to class and study for the exams on your own time? **** it's annoying when i see "Attendance required" on the syllabus.:p

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the professor. If I like the professor and he can explain the material in a way that can pique my interest, then I show up. My Anatomy and Physiology teacher is great for this since he has a pretty amazing science background and always gives these great little side facts and side stories.

With my current Sociology class, I like the Professor while thinking the material is pretty stupid. I never hesitate skipping it if I'm not feeling up for it.

My Writing class on the other hand makes me want to kill myself on a regular basic. Required attendance. The Professor seems incapable of expressing a coherent thought, the class is full of people with 5th grade writing levels, and 90% of everything we do in class involves busy work and laughably ineffective teaching methods that make me want to cave my skull in to make all the horrible "Writing is like a sandwich" analogies stop.

Every single class I've had is either discussion-based or has lecture-based tests. None of my science classes have ever followed the textbook. It's actually kind of annoying when you're dropping +$300 on textbooks, only to find out that it's there as a "reference" or for "extra practice problems".

Members don't see this ad :)
derp3.jpg

Freshman intro chem 2 I didn't go to a single lecture after the first test. I got a 4 on the AP chem test and was only retaking cause a. med school and b. my school requires a 5 to start organic chem (how stupid is that!?).

Got a 97% in the class :p

Downside: as an english minor, all of my classes require attendence. My anatomy class has a quiz every day (whoever invented clickers should be shot. Can't ditch class without the prof knowing).

be sharp on what schools you apply to, then. some medical schools do require attendance :thumbdown:

I only miss class when I'm sick. Actually, I generally go to class when I'm sick, too...

I used to be a chronic skipper, though.

I go to every class except physics. My professor's a complete nutjob, and he can't keep his own stuff straight.

Prof: "If a bird flies between two cars going 60 mph towards each other that start 120 miles from each other, what will be his displacement after 60 minutes?"

Class: "...zero. He won't have moved."

Prof: "Wrong! He'll have traveled sixty miles!"

Class: "Okay, wtf. You asked about displacement, not distance traveled!"

Prof: "Did I? I didn't. Did I? Oh well."

So irritating. So confusing. I just go in for the tests and study on my own. What choice do I have? I'd fail if I let him teach me!

Depends on the class.

Some classes test heavily from the lecture and pretty much require you to be there to get the information. I'll go to those all day--or 2-3 days a week, actually. And then there are lectures that just spit out the textbook verbatim. I never go to those. It's much better to use that hour of life you've gained skipping it by going through the material at your own pace.

Sometimes a lecturer or the content will be interesting, and I'll go regardless.

This post was brought to you by my staying up late due to my decision to skip my two early classes tomorrow.

Really depends if im interested enough in the class, I will go to everyone of them. Some classes like econ were pretty boring, but my teacher was this 45 year old gorgeous MILF that I couldn't resist to not see in the morning…..made my day.

I used to always go to class, but organic chem has made me a skipper.

Apart from exams, I think I attended o-chem II... twice? With a lot of these courses, the book taught me far better than the lecture. And textbooks don't have heavy accents...

I used to skip alllll the time, especially gen chem and orgo, but now I go to class (except when I'm out of town interviewing). I kinda like it. Now that the pressure is off to make perfect grades, I enjoy listening to my professors. Plus..I'm not doing anything during the day anyway except wasting my time on SDN.

Freshman intro chem 2 I didn't go to a single lecture after the first test. I got a 4 on the AP chem test and was only retaking cause a. med school and b. my school requires a 5 to start organic chem (how stupid is that!?).

Got a 97% in the class :p

Downside: as an english minor, all of my classes require attendence. My anatomy class has a quiz every day (whoever invented clickers should be shot. Can't ditch class without the prof knowing).

we have clickers. give your clicker to a friend to take.

we have clickers. give your clicker to a friend to take.

If only it were that simple. I'm actually a TA For another class that uses clickers and I do a headcount every day (and get paid to do it too! I love being a TA...) if the headcount doesn't match the number of responses, we make everyone enter their seat number. Aka big trouble for anyone who gets caught giving their clicker to someone else.

Similar deal goes on in my anatomy class. :(
It sucks too cause it's a fairly low level class (300) and I know 99% of the stuff already. Like today, we did nerves. I didn't take a single note because i know it all already and being there is a waste of time I could spend working on my thesis. But, we had 6 clicker questions so had I not gone to class, I would have lost out on a huge number of points. :rolleyes:
And the teacher knows me (not the first class I've had with her) so if I don't go, she notices. Why do I have to be memorable?!:laugh:

I started a thread like this about a year ago and sorta got ripped for not going to class. I'm glad the culture here has shifted in my direction. I go to class even less now that I have an acceptance letter hanging on my refrigerator. Haha.