Do you go to Wash U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

If you go to WUSM I would really appreciate it if you could help me out on this:

I am trying to find out whether the Student Health Service offered by the school provides sufficient health coverage for a normal, healthy student. So my question is this: Do you find that all your health needs have been covered by this plan or would you recommend purchasing an addition health insurance plan eg Blue Cross Blue Sheild.

Also, anyone have any bad experiences with the system or anything else that you feel I should know about?

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I feel that Student Health provides sufficient coverage for healthy students, and would not recommend purchasing an additional health plan. You can read about the benefits in detail at http://wusmhealth.wustl.edu/. However, note that spouses of students are not covered.

Dental care is not included. You can bring your own plan, or enroll in a group plan with other students during a one-month window every year.

Routine vision care is also not included, but with a referral from Student Health, you can get a free exam at the resident clinic and a discount on contact lenses / glasses.

I'll just confirm, the health insurance provided is definitely enough. Especially if you're healthy to begin with, there's no reason you should need any more coverage. Dr. Winters and staff do a great job.

The great coverage does not extend to your family. I've heard of people here being told to sign their kids up for Medicaid because it would be better/cheaper.

Some people buy the dental coverage, but I never did. I just make my dad pay for me to see my old dentist when I'm home for break. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a good Q for the Wash folks in their allo class thread.

Thanks for your replies...