Do you guys every do this? Looking up if hospitals have DO doctors on staff.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First year DO student here. Sometimes, just when I'm very curious , I like to look at big name hospitals and see if there are any DO docs there. Personally, I'm interested in a simple life as a clinic doctor, but it's something I do out of curiosity.

Anyone else do this? Sometimes I wonder if those websites can track me....lol. Imagine showing up for a job interview and they know you've visited their website XD (jokes...)

Am I the only one here? Is this weird?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh this can't be THAT weird. Come on now.
No it’s weird. There’s certain areas that have a ton of DOs and places that have zero. Likely due to locations or any variety of factors. Cmon now don’t think that the DO v MD matters at all once you match. (And even before then it barely does). Don’t do this stuff it’s neurotic and useless

Reactions: 3 users
yeah I agree with @Chibucks15 also consider DOs make up for 8.5 percent of physicians so obviously there will be places that have no DOs.

Reactions: 1 users
No it’s weird. There’s certain areas that have a ton of DOs and places that have zero. Likely due to locations or any variety of factors. Cmon now don’t think that the DO v MD matters at all once you match. (And even before then it barely does). Don’t do this stuff it’s neurotic and useless
Its not something I freak out about, more just curiosity thing. More so something I did while in college and trying to understand what going to DO school means. Im just a very curious person.

Anyone else do this? Sometimes I wonder if those websites can track me....lol. Imagine showing up for a job interview and they know you've visited their website XD (jokes...)

Am I the only one here? Is this weird?
ALL websites track you. That's why cookies exist, and why you will be soon be seeing ads for healthcare products, hospitals, clinics, and other assorted Sundries from people who want to sell you stuff.

If you think that the hospital somehow going to keep a record and then strike you from their potential list of future employees, go talk to your psychiatry faculty about this ASAP.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I don't think it's weird! I sometimes check that with local clinics too. I do it not out of neuroticism but because it's nice to picture myself in similar working environments after residency.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
ALL websites track you. That's why cookies exist, and why you will be soon be seeing ads for healthcare products, hospitals, clinics, and other assorted Sundries from people who want to sell you stuff.

If you think that the hospital somehow going to keep a record and then strike you from their potential list of future employees, go talk to your psychiatry faculty about this ASAP.
How did you miss that that was a joke I literally wrote "XD jokes"?
By that logic, any perspective employee who looks up a company/hospital/employer would be on the hook....

*college grad at a job interview* "So we saw you looked at our...advertised benefits package 🧐. We don't like that you tried to look us up. Why do you care about health insurance???"

It would be pretty funny tho...I should tell my buddy job hunting rn...XD

How did you miss that that was a joke I literally wrote "XD jokes"?
By that logic, any perspective employee who looks up a company/hospital/employer would be on the hook....

*college grad at a job interview* "So we saw you looked at our...advertised benefits package 🧐. We don't like that you tried to look us up. Why do you care about health insurance???"

It would be pretty funny tho...I should tell my buddy job hunting rn...XD
/sarcasm works wonders on the internet

/sarcasm works wonders on the internet
Wait now I gotta run with this....
"How Dare you look at the information we specifically make available to the public so curious people can look at it?" /sarcasm
" WhY WoUlD YoU lOoK up If OuR dOcs LikE woRkIng foR Us" / sarcasm

I don't think it's weird! I sometimes check that with local clinics too. I do it not out of neuroticism but because it's nice to picture myself in similar working environments after residency.
Thank you! Another curious person like me. Not everything is neuroticism.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do too, but only look at their "current residents" to see how many DOs they take over the years.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I look at websites and see where their docs trained, not the degree. In my field (hopefully my field anyway, come on March 19th) there are definitely groups that will not hire people who graduated from traditionally DO programs, even now with ACGME accreditation, because they are simply weaker and it takes longer for the grads to adjust to being on their own.

So I used to look at where people trained and in school did everything I could to get the opportunity to train at a similar place. MD/DO specifically doesn't tell you much because of the geographical factors as mentioned above.

I look at websites and see where their docs trained, not the degree. In my field (hopefully my field anyway, come on March 19th) there are definitely groups that will not hire people who graduated from traditionally DO programs, even now with ACGME accreditation, because they are simply weaker and it takes longer for the grads to adjust to being on their own.

So I used to look at where people trained and in school did everything I could to get the opportunity to train at a similar place. MD/DO specifically doesn't tell you much because of the geographical factors as mentioned above.
Yep. Same for anesthesiology in some surprisingly areas too.

Half the time they list me as MD even though I'm a DO lol

The head of one of the EDs I work at has MD on his badge and he is a DO. I have to correct scribes when they come to me saying they want to go MD instead of DO because they want to be in charge of the emergency department like this individual. Then I remind them that the CEO and COO of the physician group we work with are also DOs :shrug::prof:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
The head of one of the EDs I work at has MD on his badge and he is a DO. I have to correct scribes when they come to me saying they want to go MD instead of DO because they want to be in charge of the emergency department like this individual. Then I remind them that the CEO and COO of the physician group we work wit are also DOs :shrug::prof:
They’ll learn more about it when they get their mcat scores back.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
They’ll learn more about it when they get their mcat scores back.
LOL, for me, it was my GPA that made my stats more DO worthy, my MCAT was solid...anyway, one of my classmates in college who said she would " never go DO" is now at PA school ( nothing is wrong with PA school, but she said getting a DO would be limiting....).

• Haha
LOL, for me, it was my GPA that made my stats more DO worthy, my MCAT was solid...anyway, one of my classmates in college who said she would " never go DO" is now at PA school ( nothing is wrong with PA school, but she said getting a DO would be limiting....).
While my stats are more on par with being a hobo. I was drawn to DO because of a couple of my mentors being DOs. (Specifically the individuals that I mentioned above).

Not going to lie, when I was working in the veterinary field years ago, I had no clue what a DO was and my Vet aunt told me not to be one. Then I stumbled across this forum and started working in human medicine and turned around and told my aunt she couldn't have been more wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
haven't really looked much, but I work at a retail pharmacy in a DO friendly state. A large percentage of our prescriptions come from DOs!

Podiatry as well. That seems to be the backup for the backup

Obviously I know you don't mean this in a bad way, but for anyone out there reading this thread or research in general, podiatry is a solid option for those who wants to be a physician :)

Obviously I know you don't mean this in a bad way, but for anyone out there reading this thread or research in general, podiatry is a solid option for those who wants to be a physician :)
Given that they fully understand what Podiatry entails.

my good friend in college told me he would never go DO too, and he works at a grocery store his family opens now with a 2.5 gap double major in biology and chemistry (nothing is wrong with grocery store)

As someone interested in the same field, I have to ask: are these private practice groups?

Happens all the time. I feel like I'm constantly having to correct it. I'm not even in a DO unfriendly area.
One hospital I was at didn't even have DO as an option in their EMR for providers, so we were all just MD despite the fact that the hospital had an osteopathic residency for the past four years lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
One hospital I was at didn't even have DO as an option in their EMR for providers, so we were all just MD despite the fact that the hospital had an osteopathic residency for the past four years lol
Okay now that is just a joke. Ofc I'm all for making it clear that we're docs, too, but not even having it as an option?

Okay now that is just a joke. Ofc I'm all for making it clear that we're docs, too, but not even having it as an option?
No ive rotated at a place where everyone is marked as a MD in the EMR.

It was a very old EMR that predated the residency program in a crumbling community health system. Adding DO to a menu just wasn't on the priority list

No ive rotated at a place where everyone is marked as a MD in the EMR.
I didn't mean he's kidding! I meant the EMR is a joke! I believe him lol.

haven't really looked much, but I work at a retail pharmacy in a DO friendly state. A large percentage of our prescriptions come from DOs!
Impossible. DO’s don’t throw pills at patients like their evil MD counterparts. DO’s heal patients with their hands and caring for the whole patient.

• Haha
Dang some people on here are just harsh for no reason/ This is why I prefer to stay on Reddit (or nothing at all) as a premed.
As an aspiring physician who dreams of going to a certain DO school more than anywhere else, I have occasionally looked through my local hospital's physician directory to see if there are any DOs, just out of pure curiosity. Why is everyone overreacting about this lol. It's actually fun to look through it.

• Dislike
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Dang some people on here are just harsh for no reason/ This is why I prefer to stay on Reddit (or nothing at all) as a premed.

It's funny. I think the culture's changing on /r/medicalschool. You used to get downvoted immediately for almost any comment with a "Pre-Med" flair, no matter what was being said. Now I see some of the most upvoted comments in a thread from them. It's interesting.

As an aspiring physician who dreams of going to a certain DO school more than anywhere else, I have occasionally looked through my local hospital's physician directory to see if there are any DOs, just out of pure curiosity. Why is everyone overreacting about this lol. It's actually fun to look through it.
Because doing this means literally nothing? Maybe the people who actually know these things properly telling pre meds that this is useless and dumb will eventually get through their heads to not do the things we’ve all been warning about.
All it does is create anxiety that has no basis in reality

Because doing this means literally nothing? Maybe the people who actually know these things properly telling pre meds that this is useless and dumb will eventually get through their heads to not do the things we’ve all been warning about.
All it does is create anxiety that has no basis in reality
We're not necessarily anxious about it, it's just a curiosity thing. SDN is way too serious sometimes.

Yeah i don't get why SDN thrashes fun threads into serious and bitter criticisms. This is a fun thread but man the reactions were way too harsh

I just wanna be the first osteopath for space force

• Haha
  • Care
Yeah i don't get why SDN thrashes fun threads into serious and bitter criticisms. This is a fun thread but man the reactions were way too harsh
Some people on here are miserable lol. Half of this site is good and half is....Bad TM

Some people on here are miserable lol. Half of this site is good and half is....Bad TM
Oh cmon now haha everyone knows this is useless things to do. Being blunt isn’t being “bad”

• Dislike
I just wanna be the first osteopath for space force
We are actually looking for an NMM fellowship trained DO for space force... Cause their beliefs are outta this world. GOT EM!!!

Shh no one tell them it's actually so we can send them to space to sequester them away.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I wonder if NASA has any osteopath physician astronaut?

Their chief medical officer is a DO

1614776928998.png

• Haha
We are actually looking for an NMM fellowship trained DO for space force... Cause their beliefs are outta this world. GOT EM!!!

Shh no one tell them it's actually so we can send them to space to sequester them away.

If I claim I’m an OMM expert, can you even argue with me? It’s not like you can check my diagnosis anyway