Do you have a life when you are in your rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOtobe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the rotation, but I am just curious, in general, how much of a life do you have while on rotations? I am wondering if you third years/fourth years/interns/residents/etc. could tell me how much free time you have during rotations (if there is any) or if your life is pretty much spent in the hospital.
Thanks for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking only on the 3rd year. It depends on the rotation.
I had no life during, surgery, medicine, and ob. Had a wonderful life during psych and fp. 4th year I'm planning on having a rock star life.

4th year is the best. Lots of idle time, you pick what rotations you want...

3rd year is pretty tough, as you are in some rotations you don't want to be, so your day drags on forever, and on some rotations like Surg or OB/GYN, you're there like 20 hours a day, and that sucks no matter what.

As an intern, I'm doing EM, and its not too bad for me, but for Surgery residents, it can get tough. Very resident AND hospital dependent.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just having some less than three weeks till boards and rotations starting soon jitters. But at least I start off with psych then fp - rotations that seem to be easier! :D

I'm on surgery right now, have to pre-round at 0500, and just got back from having a couple beers at the bar with some friends. It's all about ballance. I've heard it's the same in residency. If you never allow yourself to have a life, you'll go crazy. Just make the time, it can be done.

That said, third year is hard because all your friends have different schedules.

We're really lucky at my school--we have 6 and a half months of free time in years 3 and 4 that we can schedule whenever we want. Because of the great flexibility, 3rd year doesn't have to be too bad if you schedule frequent breaks.
During rotations, however, it's really rotation dependent. Surgery was one of my first rotations, and I scheduled it that way so every other rotation would feel easier (e.g. waking up at 6:30 vs 4:30 for surgery)

As Flip said, during the third year of med school, the amount of free time you will have varies from rotation to rotation. You will, of course, have days off during each of your rotations. The number of days will vary from rotation to rotation. Internal Medicine, Surgery, Ob/Gyn, and Pediatrics clerkships are often physically demanding with long hours whereas Psychiatry and Family Medicine rotations tend to be lighter. Of course, there are other factors involved that will determine how demanding these rotations are such as the how the busy hospital is, the time of year you are doing the rotation, how large the team is, etc.

When I was starting my third year of med school, I remember feeling unprepared for how physically demanding some of the rotations were. Of course, the basic sciences are physically demanding but you have more flexibility over your schedule. For example, if you find yourself getting behind or are just too tired, you can skip lectures. But during your clinical clerkships, you are expected to be there. Not only that, when you go home, you are expected to read about your patients even though you may be tired or sleepy.

Don't be surprised if the first few days or week of a new rotation are long ones. After all, it's a new rotation with new responsibilities, ones that you are unfamiliar with. As with everything else that is new, it takes some time to become comfortable and efficient. With time and experience, tasks and responsibilities that took forever to complete are finished in a reasonable period of time.

Finally, I encourage you not to neglect your life outside of med school during the third year of med school, because it's easy to do. Strive for the right balance during the third year - it is one of the keys to having a successful year.

Good luck!

Samir Desai, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine

My opinion is that you should have a life- make time for it regardless of what the department you are rotating in tells you. However, if you did not make time as a 1st or 2nd year medical student for things then you may not make time for stuff in the third and fourth year. Me personally, after going through the BS of a clinical rotation all day- I needed to go to the gym and workout heavily. It was my only real savior- keeping in shape and eating well. Now as I begin my internship- working out and proper eating takes precedence over any other aspect of my life. For other people their prioritoes might be family, music or even computer games.

Like everyone else notes, it all depends - on the rotation, your faculty and residents, census, etc.

To be frank, students who come off as disinterested slackers are more likely to have a harder time - not because they're disinterested (we don't expect everyone to be interested in our field, but everyone should have a love of learning in general, even if it isn't in their future) but because they generally try to get out of work, which only makes tired and cranky residents more like to pile it on. From personal experience, I'm more likely to allow the friendly, interested, hard working student to leave early to have some beers, or even to invite them out with us, than I am the slackers.

At any rate, you won't have as much time as you used to - but learn a routine in which some stuff gets put by the wayside (ie, my apartment isn't nearly as clean as I would like) and give priority to others.

Originally posted by DOtobe
I guess it depends on the rotation, but I am just curious, in general, how much of a life do you have while on rotations? I am wondering if you third years/fourth years/interns/residents/etc. could tell me how much free time you have during rotations (if there is any) or if your life is pretty much spent in the hospital.
Thanks for any replies!

Uh, my third and fourth years were pretty chill compared to the second-year of med school.

The busiest rotations across the board seem to be, in no particular order: OB, Surgery, Emergency Medicine (if your school requires one), Medicine subinternship (or "acting internship" for the freak schools), and any electives in your speciality choice.

But for the most part you'll enjoy the freedom of the third and fourth years. There isn't the constant, daily grind of studying in a library somewhere from the time you get outta class to the time you go to bed. You can blow off the first couple of weeks of any rotation and still end up acing it at the end. It's great.

Sometimes the clinical/floor work gets to you though, and you start thinking about how great things were as a first or second year when all you did was study. That's kinda cool too, but nothing beats the feeling you get when the attending lets you plunge your hands into a patient's open abdomen, or when the first kid in peds pees all over you, or when you're wiping up the poop that mom is leaking when she's in labor.

Ahh... Med school.

My advice is to suck it up for 3rd year. Work really hard and study hard. You can forget about having a life 3rd year. Most of your standing in medical school will come from your 3rd year grades. Pitch in when you can but definitely try to set reasonable boundries with your residents for protected study time for shelf exams (no matter how selfish the resident). At my school most of the rotation grades came from shelf exams, ie if you don't ace the shelf, no amount of "outstanding floor work" could get you that almighty honors. Don't be some resident's scut monkey unless they are prepared to teach you stuff, Try to get close to 50%work/50% teaching (or study time). Residents are paid to work, you are paying to learn. Study hard. Also remember you will need letterss of rec from 3rd year rotations attendings.

During 4th year, kick butt in your subspecialty choice. The rest of it can be cake walk if you choose or you can push yourself. 4th year will seem like a long vacation compared to 3rd year.

No matter what the residents say to you, remember this. You haven't matched and you cannot afford the luxury of doing scut instead of learning the basics about clinical diseases which will serve as a foundation and likely only experience you will have in most fields.

Hmmm can you guess my opinions on scut?

Thanks for all your replies! I am feeling better about rotations now. I guess I was just nervous about not getting to do anything at all outside of the rotations, because I think I would go insane. I'm not one of the slackers who will look at the clock and say, "It's 5:00, I have to go home now." I want to learn, but I just wasn't sure what the hours were for rotations.

Thanks again!