Do you have--"The Look"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chinorean

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to over-generalize, but I feel that among doctors there is a certain "look." When I look at other pre-meds, some I can visualize as doctors and some just don't look doctorly to me at all. It's not a race, gender or fashion thing, maybe it's a look of sophistication and intelligence. I imagine that's how they pick actors for shows like ER. Anyways, I feel that I don't have that look at all :( and I wonder if that will affect how patients see me!

Do you think you have "the look?"

Members don't see this ad.

with the white coat, you too will have "the look"

Man don't worry about it. If your were in the business world and you don't have "the look" as you say then it would be much more uphill for you.

I've seen all kinds of doctors only a few have looked "doctorly." Good luck though!-Ben.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chinorean said:
I don't mean to over-generalize, but I feel that among doctors there is a certain "look." When I look at other pre-meds, some I can visualize as doctors and some just don't look doctorly to me at all. It's not a race, gender or fashion thing, maybe it's a look of sophistication and intelligence. I imagine that's how they pick actors for shows like ER. Anyways, I feel that I don't have that look at all :( and I wonder if that will affect how patients see me!

No, I got zits instead. By the way, what's up with the psycho kitties?

Chinorean said:

Just stay up for 30 hours straight, splash a little blood on your scrubs and white coat, and you will have the look. Also a very significant percentage of physicians have glasses (due to lots of reading), and are out of shape (bad cafeteria diets and no time for the gym during med school and residency), so you should be able to pick up these traits pretty easilly. Very few docs look like they walked out of central casting.

Chinorean said:

I think you are upto something here.... I was going to start a forum on this earlier.

Think about these scenarios..what if I am 5'2 and interviewed by a 7' guy or What if I weigh 300 lbs and interviewed by a athletic fit guy. . I automatically loose the personality points. (For me personally, I have managed to bounce back (i am 5'5) in most cases)

Don't forget..as they have said "the interviewers are looking for someone who they would like as their own doctors". I hope this is not an issue but it had me wondering as well.

Chinorean said:

I have never had a Dr that looked like George Clooney or Noah Wiley. Damn. My current physician looks EXACTLY like the dad from "ALF." That's no look, I can tell you that.

I, on the other hand, am gorgeous. At least that's what my mom tells me.

i have the look of an orthopedic surgeon or at least the stereotypical look.

I don't understand why one has to "look" like a doctor to have any credibility as a doctor. Health Care is vast becoming dependent on an increasing diversity of physicians from all walks of life and styles - and appearances. Not being the typical doctor may actually be a strength. Maybe we should find the different "look" an asset to widening our collective experiences. :thumbup:

Law2Doc said:
Just stay up for 30 hours straight, splash a little blood on your scrubs and white coat, and you will have the look. Also a very significant percentage of physicians have glasses (due to lots of reading), and are out of shape (bad cafeteria diets and no time for the gym during med school and residency), so you should be able to pick up these traits pretty easilly. Very few docs look like they walked out of central casting.

Really? I've noticed that out of all the people in the hospital where I work, the doctors are unusually attractive. I'm in the South, so 90% of all the nurses, PTs, respiratory therapists, etc. are overweight, but hardly any of the docs are. Even the students/residents.

I personally plan to bring my own food to eat in the hospital because the cafeteria food here is a death sentence.

haha this reminds me of something I heard --

Apparently, in one of the major university hospital systems there are two prominent urologists, both female. Both are [of course] highly qualified, but one is a "looker" while the other one isn't. So, the men are quite eager to find out which doctor they've been assigned, and end up either excited for their exams (pun intended :p ) or greatly disappointed.

Yep! definitely got it :laugh:

zoolander.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always felt there was a certain "look" dermatologists/plastic surgeons had... until I started working for them. :shudder:

According to everyone I talk to, I must 'look' like a nurse....EVERYONE assumes that I have plans for nursing....I mean EVERYONE...and they are all surprised when I tell them otherwise (which I actually stopped doing, since they all go back to thinking nursing anyways) Guess I dont have the doctor look.....yet.

I'm a turkey

i always thought it was the name...so many doctors i've met have had very distinguished first and last names.

but then again i've met many a jo blo, M.D. as well, so i don't really know what the hell i'm trying to say...

:p

One of my friends, a drug rep, wasn't surprised to learn that I'm interested in neurology because I remind him of the neurologists he knows.

I think anyone who is reasonably well-groomed, fit, articulate, self-confident, and slightly sleep-deprived can achieve the "look" you're referring to. The white coat helps too.

BooMed said:
Really? I've noticed that out of all the people in the hospital where I work, the doctors are unusually attractive. I'm in the South, so 90% of all the nurses, PTs, respiratory therapists, etc. are overweight, but hardly any of the docs are. Even the students/residents.

I personally plan to bring my own food to eat in the hospital because the cafeteria food here is a death sentence.

When I said out of shape I did not necessarilly mean overweight - just untoned and unhealthy looking. However either your hospital is a bit of an exception, your exposure to physicans is limited to a small segment, or I think perhaps the MD is making them more attractive in your eyes. :D

Law2Doc said:
When I said out of shape I did not necessarilly mean overweight - just untoned and unhealthy looking. However either your hospital is a bit of an exception, your exposure to physicans is limited to a small segment, or I think perhaps the MD is making them more attractive in your eyes. :D

Mmm, it's probably more that since everyone else is morbidly obese, everyone who is thin looks pretty good. And they get to wear nice clothes while everyone else is in scrubs. :p

I do know quite a few docs who work out a lot. One of my neighbors gets up at 4:30 am to exercise before work. :eek: Another neighbor is super hot, but he's in his dermatology residency and seems to have plenty of time...

queenalex said:

"quoted for truth" = I agree (with the quoted statement)

yourmom25 said:
i have the look of an orthopedic surgeon or at least the stereotypical look.
:laugh: WTF, what is a sterotypical orthopedic surgeons look?? :laugh: :laugh:

daisy958 said:
According to everyone I talk to, I must 'look' like a nurse....EVERYONE assumes that I have plans for nursing....I mean EVERYONE...and they are all surprised when I tell them otherwise (which I actually stopped doing, since they all go back to thinking nursing anyways) Guess I dont have the doctor look.....yet.

I get that alot too! Ugh! I tell people I am going to MEDICAL SCHOOL, they go...for nursing!?.. UGHHHHHHH

BTW, I don't know what you guys are talking about. I noticed that all the doctors I've seen are thin and attractive. When I went interviewing, alot of the med students were hot....Like TV hot....

Yourmom, are you a girl or a guy? hahaha..just wondering...

i don't think it has anything to do with actual looks, but it does have something to do with how you carry yourself. there aren't a lot of timid docs who are constantly second guessing themsevles or afraid to make their thoughts/opinions known. that sort of attitude carries over into how you interact with others, for better or worse. and it's not like this is a phenomonen unique to medicine; as someone pointed out earlier it's the same in most other professions. we just happen to have an extra-competative profession and it doesn't always bring out the best in people.

and there are definately generalizations that can be made about the personality types of the people in different fields. of course there are always exceptions, but for the most part the sterotypes often hold true.

As far as I am concerned, while looks do play a part in "first impression", interviewers are usually there to 1. learn more about you and your work 2. see how your mind works when put on the spot and 3. see if you could communicate effectively and intelligently. BUT, like every other situation in our superficial culture, good looks COULD potentially influence the way the interviewer conducts the session.

About the "doctor look", I have seen a full spectrum from "totally geeky and doesn't give a rat's ass about looks" all the way to "drop-dead gorgeous and works it like no other!" (the former was a male radiologist, the latter a lady OB/GYN I shadowed, damn!) In general, where I'm from, doctors who are in constant contact with patients and have to assure them that they are in good hands (i.e. usually surgeons) carry themselves in a peculiar way and have that "doctor look" you are talking about. I think it's obvious why.

About the white coat--I think that actually makes me look worse, because I'm quite short and I always have to roll the sleeves. Makes me feel like a white lab coat with feet poking out. AND I have a high-pitched voice =P

I never really thought of doctors as an attractive group, I was thinking more about looking very competent and smart. Someone you would trust to crack open your chest. It does seem, though, that plastic surgeons and dermatologists are unusually attractive!

rhystheprince said:
As far as I am concerned, while looks do play a part in "first impression", interviewers are usually there to 1. learn more about you and your work 2. see how your mind works when put on the spot and 3. see if you could communicate effectively and intelligently. BUT, like every other situation in our superficial culture, good looks COULD potentially influence the way the interviewer conducts the session.

About the "doctor look", I have seen a full spectrum from "totally geeky and doesn't give a rat's ass about looks" all the way to "drop-dead gorgeous and works it like no other!" (the former was a male radiologist, the latter a lady OB/GYN I shadowed, damn!) In general, where I'm from, doctors who are in constant contact with patients and have to assure them that they are in good hands (i.e. usually surgeons) carry themselves in a peculiar way and have that "doctor look" you are talking about. I think it's obvious why.

That is a good point. I think looking professional is what the "look" means. A white jacket that says MD on it will help a lot. LOL

i think anyone can look like a doctor with the blue/green scrubs on :cool:

May be I should post this osteopathic forum, but a number of posters have said that women in osteopathic schools are very attractive.

At first I thought this was sort of joking comment until I visited West Virgina's Ost school and I was like "Oh my Lord!" :)

So I thought to myself, you know what I think. I think the reason for this is that most of these incredibly attractive individuals were the B+/24 MCAT biology students in college that were in the soreieties and fraternities that didn't study as much as the harder working libary/research students who got into the allopathic schools.

So that's my theory behind why osteopathic schools have such a high number of attractive individuals. :laugh:

But I don't know, maybe someone in an MD program could testify that this is not the case. How bout Jefferson, Drexel, or UPENN. These are fairly intensive research schools so maybe they all look a little bit like lab cats? Hehe. I could very well be wrong! :)

I dunno, I've seen some very good looking allopathic med school student bodies. I would say that Vanderbilt in particular has incredibly attractive students. I don't normally even notice that kind of thing, but I definitely did notice it there. :laugh: :oops:

Back to the original question: I guess I don't really have "the look," either. People joke that I'll be Doogie Howser or something, b/c they don't realize how old I really am. :smuggrin:

Chinorean said:
About the white coat--I think that actually makes me look worse, because I'm quite short and I always have to roll the sleeves. Makes me feel like a white lab coat with feet poking out.

Me too!
But we can always resew them to make them smaller. I have made many large t-shirts into smaller ones with just a sewing machine.

chicagomel said:
i always thought it was the name...so many doctors i've met have had very distinguished first and last names.

but then again i've met many a jo blo, M.D. as well, so i don't really know what the hell i'm trying to say...

:p
I've been told I have a good doctor name. :p it's definitely pretty long, and it's quite traditional sounding

Chinorean said:

Hon
why dont you get into med school first, before you think about what "they" think. Besides how does it matter how they see you when you have their life saving medications in their life
ALso would like to point out that i think it is cool that you dont "look" like a doctor cos then you will surprise people with your intelligence.
Just imagine how wierd it'll be to hear a black lady speaking chinese. Yeah, just like that

temmie said:
Just imagine how wierd it'll be to hear a black lady speaking chinese. Yeah, just like that

Wait, do you mean cantonese or mandarin? Because, I do think it makes a difference. :p

CatsandCradles said:
But I don't know, maybe someone in an MD program could testify that this is not the case. How bout Jefferson, Drexel, or UPENN. These are fairly intensive research schools so maybe they all look a little bit like lab cats? Hehe. I could very well be wrong! :)

okay, I just had to laugh at this one (my husband was reading over my shoulder and he snorted too). Drexel is an "intensive research school"?? :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
I dunno, I've seen some very good looking allopathic med school student bodies. I would say that Vanderbilt in particular has incredibly attractive students. I don't normally even notice that kind of thing, but I definitely did notice it there.

Q, the Vandberbilt alumni I know are good looking. It's funny, but that's true of many of the southern schools. I wonder why? lol
I know, us southerners must all be gorgeous!!! hah

I don't have any particular doctor look. But nobody at work is surprised when they find out I'm going to med school next year, so I must not NOT look like a doctor.

people always tell me i look like i'd be a doctor. i never know what they're talking about. they should just say 'you're hot'
-mota

DaMota said:
people always tell me i look like i'd be a doctor. i never know what they're talking about. they should just say 'you're hot'
-mota

Your avatar is a dead ringer for my 6th grade science teacher. I'm assuming that picture isn't really you (or my 6th grade science teacher).

tigress said:
Q, the Vandberbilt alumni I know are good looking. It's funny, but that's true of many of the southern schools. I wonder why? lol
I know, us southerners must all be gorgeous!!! hah

Agreed! :p

humuhumu said:
Your avatar is a dead ringer for my 6th grade science teacher. I'm assuming that picture isn't really you (or my 6th grade science teacher).

I think its maybe one of Ali G's characters.... not sure?

javert said:

Yep. His name is Borat.

javert said:

my mother never loved me. she wish she was a rape by somebody else.
-mota

gdbaby said:
I have never had a Dr that looked like George Clooney or Noah Wiley. Damn. My current physician looks EXACTLY like the dad from "ALF." That's no look, I can tell you that.

I, on the other hand, am gorgeous. At least that's what my mom tells me.

Your avatar looks just like someone I used to work with...anyways...

My maiden name was an excellent Dr. name. One no one can pronounce or spell, but my married name...not so much.

DaMota said:
my mother never loved me. she wish she was a rape by somebody else.
-mota

"In America, women can vote but horse cannot! It is the other way around in my country."

jmnykrkts said:
Yep. His name is Borat.

Look what I'm missing out on because I don't have cable....

tigress said:
What's Ali G?

I had to Google it. It's a comedy show on HBO.