do you have to inform the person writing your LOR that you're a reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmD81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently trying to build relations with a few professionals that I feel can help me write a good letter of recommendation, so when I do ask them for the letter do I have to let them know I am a reapplicant? Its not that I'm embarrassed, but i don't know it feels weird like maybe what if they feel like I'm not qualified since I didn't get accepted the first time. Also I am working on improving this year, do you guys have any tips on what I should do exactly? I am going to retake a few classes, retake my PCAT, continue volunteering at the pharmacy, and write a new personal statement. What else is there that can make me stand out? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No point in telling them that you're a re-applicant since it shouldn't change how they'll write the LoR for you.

Since you are already volunteering you have some extra-curricular activities to show for. I would say the best thing for you is to do really well on the classes you are going to retake and study hard for the PCAT and do really well on that as well. If you can drastically improve your grade by retaking a class, or improving your PCAT score, you will show the people that you are serious about the profession and that you are dedicated

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a story you want to tell to the adcom, right? That story says "I'm ready to be a pharmacist - I have improved my application & worked really to improve since last application cycle." Your whole application is trying to tell this story.

The only reason I can think of to tell your LoR writers is so they can help support the story. I would only offer the information if they choose to meet with you, so you can tell them the whole story.

Boy, how many times can I pack the phrase "the story" into this post? I'll admit, near the end I was going for a record. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information it was really helpful!
I just have one more question to ask, the college I am currently in does not allow you to retake a class if you passed it, and it does not relate to your major. 2 of the pre-reqs I would like to retake fall under that category. They say there is an exception to retake the classes BUT the new grade will not factor into your gpa and you will not get any additional credits for the class. I am willing to retake those classes so it can show that I am serious about pharmacy school, but there will be no place for me to enter those new grades on pharmcas. Meaning it will absol not change my gpa. Would the admissions still recognize and acknowledge that I tried to improve my grades but still have a similar gpa?

Thanks for the information it was really helpful!
I just have one more question to ask, the college I am currently in does not allow you to retake a class if you passed it, and it does not relate to your major. 2 of the pre-reqs I would like to retake fall under that category. They say there is an exception to retake the classes BUT the new grade will not factor into your gpa and you will not get any additional credits for the class. I am willing to retake those classes so it can show that I am serious about pharmacy school, but there will be no place for me to enter those new grades on pharmcas. Meaning it will absol not change my gpa. Would the admissions still recognize and acknowledge that I tried to improve my grades but still have a similar gpa?

Many pharmacy schools calculate GPA independently of what either your school or PharmCAS gives them, so it's definitely possible that they'd factor in your new grades. My question though is why bother? I'm assuming you got at least a C in both courses, and retaking 2 courses probably won't make enough of a difference to matter that much (unless you're applying to a school that only considers the highest grade, but even then I probably wouldn't bother).

Many pharmacy schools calculate GPA independently of what either your school or PharmCAS gives them, so it's definitely possible that they'd factor in your new grades. My question though is why bother? I'm assuming you got at least a C in both courses, and retaking 2 courses probably won't make enough of a difference to matter that much (unless you're applying to a school that only considers the highest grade, but even then I probably wouldn't bother).

I agree with R2pharmD2. Retaking classes you passed is a waste of time and money. Seriously. SERIOUSLY. First, you may not even get an A. Second, it's not going to help your GPA that much even if you do get an A.

I agree with R2pharmD2. Retaking classes you passed is a waste of time and money. Seriously. SERIOUSLY. First, you may not even get an A. Second, it's not going to help your GPA that much even if you do get an A.

Really? do you guys think it's a waste of time if retake the classes? One of them was cal, and the other is Anatomy. Overall i have 3 C's on my transcript and one D+ (i'm def retaking that class) but if i don't retake the C's on my transcript then what should i do the improve my application!? Also how do you know if the school considers the highest grade or averages them out?

Really? do you guys think it's a waste of time if retake the classes? One of them was cal, and the other is Anatomy. Overall i have 3 C's on my transcript and one D+ (i'm def retaking that class) but if i don't retake the C's on my transcript then what should i do the improve my application!? Also how do you know if the school considers the highest grade or averages them out?

First, do some research on the schools you want to apply to. Call the admissions office if it's not on their website.

Second, depending on how they do GPA calculations, it may be more beneficial to take a higher level class & smoke that one rather than retaking the same one. It would have similar effect as retaking if they average, but it would also show you can do well in upper level classes / with new material. Retakes show you do well the second time through. I would imagine this is highly dependent on how the GPA calculation is done & what the adcom likes to see, though, so see the first point.

You can also improve your application with a solid PCAT score & ECs.

Just out of curiosity, what is your cumulative & science GPA?