Do you like going in to work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you seen vascular surgery? ALL of their patients are chronic.

Vascular surg does a lot of endovascular stuff now as well. In any case, I said generally.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough call between vascular and transplant...

I would say transplant is a tad worse but livers are less frequently transplanted. On the other hand, amputations are done pretty frequently for diabetic feet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im with you on hating surgery. The whole atmosphere just reeks of negative vibes. Never seen so many Dementors in one place anywhere else. But, remember, at least you do not have a nurse as your preceptor. Looking forward to that **** again.

Oh god, a nurse preceptor? :/ weird. I have the utmost respect for nurses, but them teaching you how to be a doctor? Not so sure about that.

And your dementor language = winning. I just hope my defense against the dark arts class was complete enough.

Im with you on hating surgery. The whole atmosphere just reeks of negative vibes. Never seen so many Dementors in one place anywhere else. But, remember, at least you do not have a nurse as your preceptor. Looking forward to that **** again.

Dementor comment = biggest win ever!

Was it a NP?

I have a story about a nursery nurse. I'm not sure if I'm ready to tell it, but it was equal parts frustrating and hilarious.

Nope, not even a BSN, I think an associates degree nurse whos been an OR nurse first assist for awhile. Granted, she can teach me alot about scrubbing in and suturing and all that jazz, but I am learning nothing about indications for surgery, alternatives, post-op care, etc etc etc. I start on my second surgery rotation tomorrow and it is going to be the same **** all over again. Yay! Think I am just going to sign-up for the interesting cases and then get the F out as quick as I can.

Nope, not even a BSN, I think an associates degree nurse whos been an OR nurse first assist for awhile. Granted, she can teach me alot about scrubbing in and suturing and all that jazz, but I am learning nothing about indications for surgery, alternatives, post-op care, etc etc etc. I start on my second surgery rotation tomorrow and it is going to be the same **** all over again. Yay! Think I am just going to sign-up for the interesting cases and then get the F out as quick as I can.
This is poor education. You can read all the casebooks and surgical texts you want, but you need a resident or attending teaching you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sadly, I could tell without looking at your post history that you must be at a DO school. :(
I am so angry that some of the DO schools out there dump students on such crummy rotations. You're not getting adequate supervision or teaching. You didn't go to med school to learn how to be a nurse.
I think that the situation you're describing is completely unacceptable. If there is any chance of getting switched to a different rotation I would definitely complain.

but you need a resident or attending teaching you.

HA good luck with that. I have spent ENTIRE rotations where an attending spoke to me a grand total of like 3 minutes. In all of surgery I don't think an attending taught me anything. And most residents are so overworked that it's a miracle when they can teach you a factoid or two.

On the other hand, nurses have taught me a huge amount of things arrogant attendings and overworked residents never did: how to draw blood, how to put an I.V in, how to navigate the electronic medical records, how to get vitals in Labor and Delivery, how to properly move patients, how to put a foley in, how to properly care for a pressure ulcer, etc etc.

Thank God for nurses.

Most attendings and residents are way too busy to teach.

On the other hand, nurses have taught me a huge amount of things arrogant attendings and overworked residents never did: how to draw blood, how to put an I.V in, how to navigate the electronic medical records, how to get vitals in Labor and Delivery, how to properly move patients, how to put a foley in, how to properly care for a pressure ulcer, etc etc.

Thank God for nurses.

uh.... yea all that is **** that you'll never do as a doctor... they essentially taught you how to become a great nurse

uh.... yea all that is **** that you'll never do as a doctor... they essentially taught you how to become a great nurse

You'll never navigate the electronic medical record as a doctor?

You'll never navigate the electronic medical record as a doctor?

Indirectly. Medical students marionette the residents' hands whenever they need to use them to expend less energy. I thought this was pretty universal.

Indirectly. Medical students marionette the residents' hands whenever they need to use them to expend less energy. I thought this was pretty universal.

Oh my gosh. SO MUCH FUN could be had if this was true.

Yeah okay my guess is in residency you won't (or don't, if you're currently in it) rely on the night float nurses at all times to draw an ABG in the middle of the night or start an IV on a tough stick. I've seen residents when they're on call or even in the middle of the day doing a ton of smaller procedures.

to be honest, nurses are better at drawing IVs than MDs....it's just about experience

Most definitely true.

haha hell ya
at my former lab, we had 2 fellows. One from MGH and one from Brigham. It also had a couple research fellows from top foreign medical schools.
For one of the project, I needed my own blood as control. None of them could draw my own blood on certain days (dehydrated from the heat or hang over). I ended up learning how to draw my own blood =P

I started surgery this week. I hate my life. I truly don't understand how people actually like this stuff. Different strokes, I guess. I don't mean to be insulting. I really just don't get why this is even remotely liked/enjoyed by anyone. I feel like I'm missing something.

What don't you like about surgery?
The OR primarily. Also the hours. Surgery is not fast-paced. It is tedious. It is boring. It takes forever. I'm not interested by the procedures or the technique. I don't like the personalities surgery attracts. I'm way too laid back to want to surround myself with these people. Here's to hoping time flies by.

That's how I felt about third year and that was last year for me. All my rotations were really good, even though we were there every day and in some rotations for long hours. In at least half but in many cases most to all rotations we were allowed to do things independently and all rotations were structured with an emphasis on education. They were busy but involved and the residents in all the fields were happy and interesting in their own right. I'd say on those rotations where I was very busy like say medicine where I did q4 30 hr call with only a couple hours of sleep I wouldn't have said I liked it or would have preferred being there to somewhere fun but it actually was pretty fun because I was allowed to do alot and learn alot and carry 3-4 patients(split the team with the intern) under a senior. The rotations where I was less busy(like outpatient/clinics) were actually more of a drag because you'd spend more of the day twiddling your thumbs even though they'd be less hours and waking up late.

how are you illixir ?
That's how I felt about third year and that was last year for me. All my rotations were really good, even though we were there every day and in some rotations for long hours. In at least half but in many cases most to all rotations we were allowed to do things independently and all rotations were structured with an emphasis on education. They were busy but involved and the residents in all the fields were happy and interesting in their own right. I'd say on those rotations where I was very busy like say medicine where I did q4 30 hr call with only a couple hours of sleep I wouldn't have said I liked it or would have preferred being there to somewhere fun but it actually was pretty fun because I was allowed to do alot and learn alot and carry 3-4 patients(split the team with the intern) under a senior. The rotations where I was less busy(like outpatient/clinics) were actually more of a drag because you'd spend more of the day twiddling your thumbs even though they'd be less hours and waking up late.