Do you meet the admission reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
X

X

I was looking at some of the secondaries and it seems they want a lot of physics lab.

Specifically George Washington university - they want 2 credits of lab for physics. Well when I took physics it was only 1 unit of lab class for the physics sequence (so .7 credits on semester system). Here is the problem, that is what the school offered and since then it has been integrated into the three quarters with the normal class. So the problem is I have graduated already and can't take it as it is integrated. Also before it met all the requirements. This is from UCSD, so what should I do about this????

University of Vermont wants a year of lab - they are high. It says they will except 2 credits also if you don't have a year. Well .7 is all I got.....

Any advice....

X :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it's a problem if that's how your uni does things.

yeah, it's probably not a problem. where i went to school, we get no credit for labs. every class is worth 3.5 units regardless of whether or not there is a 4+ hour lab or no lab. in the premedical committee letter they explain this. does your school explain the lab situation at your school in the letter? if they do, then i think it will probably be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call them if you're so concerned. I third the "it probably won't matter."

we don't have committee letters at my school. where should i mention about not meeting GW's credit requirements? my school is on a quarter system so i have 5.3 units instead of 6.

A slight variation but still relevent....

I placed out of my school's 2 semester (read: 8 credit-hour) English reuiqrement with a 5 on the AP. But while I may have placed out of 2 courses, they only award credit for one (read: 4 credit-hours). I didn't end up taking another English class in college (though I was an Econ major and did plenty of writing in other courses), so technically, I don't think I meet the English requirement at a lot of schools I am applying to.

I reckon I can tell adcoms that if they aren't convinced that I am proficient in English by my other accomplishments (10V, S WS, great PS IMHO), I would be willing to take another course before matriculation in order to tehcnically fulfill the req.

Is this something I should write on my secondaries, so they don't freak when they only see 4 ch's of English??

thought i update this since i started it...

I called one school (i think it was university of vermont), basically they said that if you meet your school's requirements then you are okay. This was the same thing told to me by my advisor. So for now I am just sending them in and putting the credits I have. I think if there is a problem they will tell us about it later, and if need be (you are accepted, etc.) we can take that extra class before starting med school.

X

I see that GW's list asks for "credits". In that case should I put quarter units or convert them to semester units like AMCAS?

I think everyone wants semester credits, so I used the ones on the AMCAS after they were converted.

X

this is kinda related, but i don't want anyone making the same mistake i did....

I was accepted to UF (a school that requires biochem and lab --> 6 credits all together)....although I never took biochem. They told me to take the year off, take biochem, and come back as a deferment. I was not happy!!!! Now I'm in summer school last minute just finishing up biochem so I can make it to school on Wednesday. Yes, I'm exhausted and med school hasn't even started yet.

So, even if you apply w/o some prereqs AND get accepted, you might still have to take them. Beware! :eek:

thanks for the reminder Foxy! i see biochem is affecting your post productivity levels. i would have thought you'd be at 6000 by now :p

Let me clarify what I meant:

If you haven't taken a pre-req, you probably will need to.....i didn't mean that the school was saying you can skip it. I was trying to say that if it is just a issue of the right amount of credits. If your school has you take those courses but the credits don't seem enough, in that case you may be okay. University of Vermont even says this on the orange page that came with the app, unfortnately they say you need 2 credits of lab, which I didn't have and that is why I had to call them

X