Do You Need To Finish All The Pre-Reqs Before You Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you apply without finishing all the pre-reqs?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but check with the school to ensure which classes you must have before you apply. If I'm not mistaken there are a couple of schools that will not send you a secondary without completetion of required courses.

Depends on the school. LECOM-Erie rejected me in part because I hadn't taken any organic chemistry yet. UNECOM made me wait until I finished organic 1 to send me the secondary. Check with the schools. GOOD LUCK!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school. LECOM-Erie rejected me in part because I hadn't taken any organic chemistry yet. UNECOM made me wait until I finished organic 1 to send me the secondary. Check with the schools. GOOD LUCK!:luck:

I am so sorry for your children -- I hope that your second child's developmental hiccups clear up with antibiotics as well! Excellent website... well-conceived and presented clearly... thank you for the information.

Can you apply without finishing all the pre-reqs?

Most schools will allow you to apply with courses in progress as long as they are completed before matriculation. As others have said, definitely check with the schools. Good luck!

Most schools will let you apply without ALL of the pre-reqs, but it helps to have the majority of them completed pre-application. I would say it helps greatly to have the gen-chems, physics, orgo 1 and one upper division science class

I am so sorry for your children -- I hope that your second child's developmental hiccups clear up with antibiotics as well! Excellent website... well-conceived and presented clearly... thank you for the information.

THANK YOU!!!!:love: :)

I think it's recommended not to have more than 1-2 outstanding pre-reqs. I had 2 missing pre-reqs at the time of my application and that didn't delay the receipt of secondaries/interviews/acceptances, although the acceptances were conditional.