Do you think about pharmacy 24/7?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I do and I'm starting to worry. Maybe I can join a 12-step program? Will this end when my residency ends? Maybe if I had a spouse or a kid or a dog or something, it would help.

It even disturbs my dreams, this can't be healthy. And somehow it doesn't make me any more productive.

Members don't see this ad.

Because I do and I'm starting to worry. Maybe I can join a 12-step program? Will this end when my residency ends? Maybe if I had a spouse or a kid or a dog or something, it would help.

It even disturbs my dreams, this can't be healthy. And somehow it doesn't make me any more productive.

I used to have nightmares when I was in school about enzymes and other drug molecules trying to attack me.

In my waking life after I get off, not so much. But I am having dreams about it. I will often wake up in the night to 'go check on a patient' or a chart. Once I come all the way to, I realize I was just dreaming. My husband says I woke up a few nights ago and asked where was the bathroom. Apparently I was dreaming of being in a P&T meeting in an unfamiliar area of the hospital.

Hope this goes away after rotations, its wearing me out! :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have trouble letting work go, too. Especially when I come home after my late shifts and I cannot get to sleep for at least an hour or two after I go to bed. I am always thinking about patients and rounds and staffing and rotation assignments and projects. Even on my days off I spend a lot of time going over the next week in my head and how I'm gonna get everything done. Residency consumes your life. There is no doubt about it.

I'm excited that we are almost halfway done, though. Time is flying by and I'm having a good time for the most part.

No. Work stays where it belongs - at work, unless I take work home (which happens a few times a month). I have enough other interests to occupy my time... Maybe it is also because for me pharmacy has always been a logical choice rather than an emotional one, it doesn't tickle me the way history or languages do. Besides, I have always had a kind of a tunnel vision - whenever I am doing something, I am so engrossed in it, I forget that the rest of the world exists.

I think I should get a puppy. I'm dreaming about my patients getting A1c < 7%. This is going too far.

Nah it`s what I do - not what I am. Besides pharmacy I love reading on immunology. I find a lot of vaguely related things fascinating ;). Besides my faculty along with the medics throw two separate parties at a different club each month.

No. Work stays where it belongs - at work, unless I take work home (which happens a few times a month). I have enough other interests to occupy my time... Maybe it is also because for me pharmacy has always been a logical choice rather than an emotional one, it doesn't tickle me the way history or languages do. Besides, I have always had a kind of a tunnel vision - whenever I am doing something, I am so engrossed in it, I forget that the rest of the world exists.

Agreed I`m oftentimes so concentrated on what I do especially on practical lessons that I start forgetting basic forms of communication.... Then again it`s partly the fault of people trying to talk to me while I`m transferring exactly two mills of liquid solutions from a huge wide-mouthed bottle to a regular measuring glass. Big mistake. I either shout at you to shut up or spill acid on my hands... guess which way it usually works out.