Do you think my SAP appeal will get approved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureVet90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm undergrad just to let you know.

this is my first time getting an appeal and my gpa wasnt the best in the past because of my living situation with my mother; alot of drama at home, worrying how i will get to school, everyday it was something. i moved to an on-campus apartment in august 2011 and my grades have improved since then because i'm able to focus on my studies while not worrying about problems at home and how i will get to school.

thats what i put on the form as well.

Members don't see this ad.

this is my first time getting an appeal and my gpa wasnt the best in the past because of my living situation with my mother; alot of drama at home, worrying how i will get to school, everyday it was something. i moved to an on-campus apartment in august 2011 and my grades have improved since then because i'm able to focus on my studies while not worrying about problems at home and how i will get to school.

I don't understand the question. What does an undergrad SAP appeal have to do with a vet school application?

I don't understand the question. What does an undergrad SAP appeal have to do with a vet school application?

i'm undergrad, so im not in vet school yet.

it was basically asking your opinion about my response to the appeal.

Members don't see this ad :)

I remember you. Well I mostly remember the same excuses. Hope you can pick your life up after this appeal and stop making them. :luck:

it was basically asking your opinion about my response to the appeal.

My opinion is that it most likely depends on how you presented your reasonings. I say that because the last time you posted on SDN, it came across as a lot of excuse making. Hopefully you were able to present it in a way that didn't feel the same to those reviewing it.
And yeah, I don't know what an SAP is lol

Phew. Was totally thinking I was dumb or out of the loop or something lol

My opinion is that it most likely depends on how you presented your reasonings. I say that because the last time you posted on SDN, it came across as a lot of excuse making. Hopefully you were able to present it in a way that didn't feel the same to those reviewing it.
And yeah, I don't know what an SAP is lol

What's a SAP?

obviously emillo knows what SAP is since he/she responded to my thread.

for the sarcastic lames: SAP= satisfactory academic progress.

How are we supposed to judge this at all?

1) None of us are school administrators or have any idea what goes on to approve an "SAP"

2) We only have a brief paraphrase of what you said, with no detail or explanation at all.

It's like asking "Hey guys, I have xx GPA, will I get into vet school?" and not expanding on it at all. We have no idea, we are not adcoms, and we know nothing about any other qualifications or experiences you may have.

Without any details, this thread is useless.

obviously emillo knows what SAP is since he/she responded to my thread.

for the sarcastic lames: SAP= satisfactory academic progress.

Actually, no I truly had no idea lol. I was just responding to an appeal in general and remembered you from a previous thread.

It's like asking "Hey guys, I have xx GPA, will I get into vet school?" and not expanding on it at all. .

Maybe you don't remember the thread where the OP did that exact thing :laugh:. And we heard all the same things then, hence my intolerance to hearing it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are we supposed to judge this at all?

1) None of us are school administrators or have any idea what goes on to approve an "SAP"

2) We only have a brief paraphrase of what you said, with no detail or explanation at all.

It's like asking "Hey guys, I have xx GPA, will I get into vet school?" and not expanding on it at all. We have no idea, we are not adcoms, and we know nothing about any other qualifications or experiences you may have.

Without any details, this thread is useless.

i basically told you what i put on the form. the form only had a few lines, so i made it brief but still enough to let them know my circumstance.

i wasnt asking you to approve, i was asking your opinion on my response.

Maybe you don't remember the thread where the OP did that exact thing :laugh:. And we heard all the same things then, hence my intolerance to hearing it again.

ok? and?

those are actually the reasons of me having a hard time at one point and i let them know.

Perhaps you should consider shifting your focus a bit, too; the end-game here isn't getting in to vet school, it's getting through vet school - and then using that knowledge in actual life.

I hate to be the debbie downer, but if undergraduate courses in biology and chemistry are slamming you hard, how would you expect to succeed in professional courses on these topics?

Perhaps if your personal life is preventing you from learning, it may be wise to suspend your education and address issues at home. A lack of support and transportation seems to be a recurring theme with you; it may be prudent to get a job on the local bus route and work for a bit, build a decent financial cushion for yourself, and then get a car. A vet job would be a plus, but that probably shouldn't be your focus at this point in time; just a job that can get you the money you need to continue forward with your life.

I don't mean to sound heartless, but there seem to be some fundamental issues at work here that need addressing before the topic of vet school even arises.

Edit -
Also, keep in mind that grades and procedures and appeals and honor court and so on and so forth have a wonderful tendency to differ among colleges at the same university, letalone different universities. You're viewing this topic from your own experience; none of us have any context at all to tie us to it. So if we're being unhelpful, it's mostly because there's nothing for us to go on, here.

I really don't know what the committee will be looking for. I've never had any encounters with an academic probation (is that what this is?) situation before so I don't know if they are looking for specifics or what. I think an adviser at your school would be a better person to ask. I just don't know anything about your situation at all. Not that I could help anyway, because as I said I have absolutely no experience with this.

Perhaps you should consider shifting your focus a bit, too; the end-game here isn't getting in to vet school, it's getting through vet school - and then using that knowledge in actual life.

I hate to be the debbie downer, but if undergraduate courses in biology and chemistry are slamming you hard, how would you expect to succeed in professional courses on these topics?

Perhaps if your personal life is preventing you from learning, it may be wise to suspend your education and address issues at home. A lack of support and transportation seems to be a recurring theme with you; it may be prudent to get a job on the local bus route and work for a bit, build a decent financial cushion for yourself, and then get a car. A vet job would be a plus, but that probably shouldn't be your focus at this point in time; just a job that can get you the money you need to continue forward with your life.

I don't mean to sound heartless, but there seem to be some fundamental issues at work here that need addressing before the topic of vet school even arises.

i havent taken any required biology and chemistry courses yet. i changed my major last year in the middle of a semester.

no sense in addressing issues at home since i moved out to have a better focus.

yeah, if it was that easy to get a job.....

i havent taken any required biology and chemistry courses yet. i changed my major last year in the middle of a semester.

even though the D in basic biology and C in basic chem will be on my transcript, i'm still considering to retake them in the summer.

From your other thread. Regardless of whether these classes were needed for a major you're completing as an undergraduate, these are courses required by most veterinary schools to be considered for admission - hence, "required courses."

yeah, if it was that easy to get a job.....

Are you eligible for work study? Does your campus hire students for rush weeks at the bookstore? Any luck with the library at all?

I know it's tough out there right now, but those may be good places to start looking.

From your other thread. Regardless of whether these classes were needed for a major you're completing as an undergraduate, these are courses required by most veterinary schools to be considered for admission - hence, "required courses."

Are you eligible for work study? Does your campus hire students for rush weeks at the bookstore? Any luck with the library at all?

I know it's tough out there right now, but those may be good places to start looking.

those courses were general; not required for my major. BUT im retaking them for a better grade. right now, im taking that D in biology and im doing good. i should get an B in the end.

i requested work study but idk if i have it for next school year. i did apply for the campus library a few days ago, but didnt get a response yet. i might call tomorrow.

those courses were general; not required for my major. BUT im retaking them for a better grade. right now, im taking that D in biology and im doing good. i should get an B in the end.

i requested work study but idk if i have it for next school year. i did apply for the campus library a few days ago, but didnt get a response yet. i might call tomorrow.
They may not be required for your major but vet schools require them so retaking them would definitely be in your best interest. And call about that job :xf:

I think some of the confusion with these courses lies in the fact that we're not sure if they're the typical "science major" courses or if they are courses meant for non-majors.

If they are courses for non-majors, I wouldn't bother with retaking them, and just take "Intro to biology" or something like that meant for science majors. Same with chemistry.

I think some of the confusion with these courses lies in the fact that we're not sure if they're the typical "science major" courses or if they are courses meant for non-majors.

If they are courses for non-majors, I wouldn't bother with retaking them, and just take "Intro to biology" or something like that meant for science majors. Same with chemistry.

yeah, the biology im retaking are for non biology majors. and its too late that you said that because im almost done retaking it. but thank you.

So you wrote your mom was giving you 'drama' (I hope you didn't just say 'drama' ) and you couldn't figure out how to use the public transportation system? I can't see that going over well.

SAP definitely means "socially awkward penguin" in my mind... Like so:

tumblr_lm0y83TqsX1qjj6pko1_400.jpg

I was quite confused. On topic, though, I do wish you the best at trying to fix everything up with your university and your family.

yeah, the biology im retaking are for non biology majors. and its too late that you said that because im almost done retaking it. but thank you.

You're welcome.

Do you have a game plan on how you are going to proceed? Have you sat down with an adviser to discuss your courses for the next few years? I would recommend at least taking Biology I and General Chemistry I next semester and see how you do. If you can pull off at least a B or B+ in those courses, (aim for an A!!), then you may be able to get a bit more helpful advice from these forums. Right now, obtaining a DVM is a long-term goal, and you haven't really taken the initial steps you need yet. It's basically like saying you want to run a marathon next week when you haven't gotten off the couch in 3 years.

I hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Not a "sarcastic lame" just had no idea what a SAP is. It's not like every school is going to use the same acronyms or every student is going to have experience with this.

Anyway, what are the guidelines and standards for a SAP? That's the only way we could really start to evaluate this...

This thread made me chuckle on a rainy evening. Thank you, SDN.

images

So you wrote your mom was giving you 'drama' (I hope you didn't just say 'drama' ) and you couldn't figure out how to use the public transportation system? I can't see that going over well.

:thumbup: Right? OP, your post was so vague that I'm not sure what you're looking for. If I came to you - a stranger - out of the blue and said "So, I'm filling out this form about some stuff with some other people 'n some family drama and damn it sucks how hard it is to take the bus and find a job .... what do you think?"

... what would YOU say? I mean, best of luck to you with your appeal, but I hope you did more than give them excuses about the bus system.

This thread made me chuckle on a rainy evening. Thank you, SDN.

images

:rofl:

Dude, sometimes your sense of humor pisses me off and other times I wish I could take it and build it into my brain.

Ok. Well, let's start at the beginning. First off: Let's add some correct punctuation and capitalization.

" This is my first time getting an appeal and my GPA wasn't the best in the past because of my living situation with my mother; a lot of drama at home, worrying how I will get to school, everyday it was something. I moved to an on-campus apartment in August 2011 and my grades have improved since then because I'm able to focus on my studies while not worrying about problems at home and how I will get to school. "

oook....well, now I can kinda of read it....let's try to put in some complete sentences....

"This is my first time getting an appeal and my GPA wasn't the best in the past because of my living situation with my mother. I had a lot of drama at home, due to worrying how I will get to school. Everyday, it was something. I moved to an on-campus apartment in August 2011 and my grades have improved since then. I'm able to focus on my studies while not worrying about problems at home and how I will get to school."

ok....getting closer. I think we are up to a 2nd or 3rd grade reading level. Let's continue....(we might even throw in some big words this time)

[hmm....we can leave out the first sentence since it doesn't matter.] [Wait. Don't need the second 'sentence' either] [Nope. 3rd is useless.]

"Since receiving my academic probation, I have made significant changes in life in order to improve my GPA and return to good academic standing. As seen in my most recent transcript, I have shown improvement and I will continue to do so in the future. I request that my academic probation be removed."

Not that hard. It all starts with a little correct capitalization.
:rolleyes:

Sometimes, I think that current members of this forum make up these people just to entertain us. For the sake of my hope in humanity, please lie to me and tell me they do.

Outlook not so good; most likely not; my sources say no.

bullied by a bunch of (pre)veterinary students! You all are such a mean bunch! Probably money grubbing, greedy people who take advantage of a pet's suffering! :laugh:

All joking aside - I can only tell you what I learned from my experience. Basically I had crap grades my first 2 years (like all C's). I could have blamed it on my depressed, alcoholic boyfriend who needed round the clock care and suicide watch half the time - but I didn't. I didn't even mention it, because ultimately it was my fault that I wasn't putting in the dedication to earn the grades I was capable of. As a professional student, you need to be able to handle what life throws you and not make excuses. So on my VMCAS under the explanation section, I #1 admitted the faults in my past academic performance, #2 addressed the steps I took to change my grades and #3 pointed out my academic improvement, earning mostly A's the last 2 years. Basically, I said, "I was a lazy, unmotivated student my first two years. However, once I realized that I was going to get nowhere with such mediocre grades, I improved my study habits and time management skills. In the last two years, I've earned a 3.7 in my upper division biology courses." - But worded better :)
I might see you blaming your grades on your living situation as a sign of weakness (but I'm not an adcom, I'm just giving you my opinion). We've all had crappy roommates, idiot boyfriends, or crazy parents, but you have to persevere and still excel. I think if you ADMIT your shortcomings without making excuses for them, and also address what you've done to improve yourself, they are likely to see growth and potential. Is it enough? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the rest of your application.

bullied by a bunch of (pre)veterinary students! You all are such a mean bunch! Probably money grubbing, greedy people who take advantage of a pet's suffering! :laugh:

Just imagine if this was posted on the pre-med forum! :smuggrin:

Also moving away and getting better grades did nothing to address the problem. Basically, you removed yourself from the situation without addressing it. Sure, I wouldn't want to live with my mom either because she's bat**** crazy, but I wouldn't blame my grades on her drama. I'm not sure, but an adcom might think that you can't deal with conflict and choose to avoid it rather than face it. Personally, I wouldn't mention your mama drama.

This thread made me read the original thread by the OP.

WAY MORE ENTERTAINING THAN STUDYING EAR CANAL SURGERY!!! (Which is what I'm meant to be doing lol...)

OP, if I were your uni, and there was no evidence to suggest you seeked support from the faculty in your time of poor grades, I would be SUPER hesitant to pass you off the probation. That said you haven't listed how your classes for this semester went. That said I also have no idea as to their procedures and this forum is probably a fairly unhelpful place to ask such questions.

To DSM: I think the submarine pic is one of the best yet! :laugh:

To DSM: I think the submarine pic is one of the best yet! :laugh:
My dad used to tell me that when he was growing up that they would ask girls out to go to the beach and watch "submarine races" at night.

Then when the girls got there they would make out because there was nothing to see. :love:

I always wondered whether the girls were really that naive, or just played along. I guess some of both.

Is it enough? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the rest of your application.

This person isn't even applying to vet school yet. They are just trying to get into good standing with their undergrad university.....

My dad used to tell me that when he was growing up that they would ask girls out to go to the beach and watch "submarine races" at night.

Then when the girls got there they would make out because there was nothing to see. :love:

I always wondered whether the girls were really that naive, or just played along. I guess some of both.

:laugh: That's awesome!