Do you thinks I stand a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

achint25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I lived in India and studied most of my high school there. I cam here when I was in the 11th grade. My english skill are thus pretty wacked. Because the school I went to in India, was mainly focusing on Science and not on English. So my English scores were average. Just so you Know the education in India is pretty tough. I mean you learn the first sememster of chem and bio things of college in like 6th and 7th grade. (Thats why we dont have have to go to college if we wanna go to med school in india lol)

I only got a 23(only 16 on reading and english) on the ACT after 4 tries and managed to get in University of Mississippi. But at my university, I choose to do BS in Biology and took all the biology classes, Physics classes, Chem classes, Math Classes. But I did get A in all my 4 semister of English Classes in college.

I have a 3.87 science GPA. I have only made 3 Bs so far. And I have not taken any weakling classes, and have only take the toughest of toughest courses such as cell and molecular biology, Genetics, Human and viral genetics, Comparative anatomy etc. Next semesiter I will also take biochem 1&2 and histology. I am a junior and a member of Phi Kappa Phi and am the top 7.5 percent in the entire university.

Now here is the problem: As you can see I am just not good at taking standardize exams. So I didn't do so go on MCAT. Only got a 26. 10, 10 and 6 on verbal reasoning.

So I am totally up for being a Doctor. What I need to know is do I stand a chance. I mean English is my second language and my enitre family does not always talk in english. So I just was hoping they would look at it.

I have great community service and have worked at the ER of my local hospital. I was also TA and used to teach labs for First Semister of Freshman Pre-med biology for 1-1/2 years.

So opinions are welcome. Please see that I only mean to paint the really picture in the above words. I did not mean to offend anybody in anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Two issues:

1. Are u a perm resident or citizen, if not you have an arduous task at US med school admission. If u are, then never mind.

2. I'll say practice some more verbal, I'll suggest EK 101 Passages, they are excellent. You stats are decent otherwise so don't let ur VR diminish ur admission chances. I understand and relate to your situation with English being a 2nd language, the same is true for me. However with sufficient practice I think you can get >8. Also try to improve your PS, BS to compensate a little for your VR.

Now b4 people get overly excited, there's a limit to how much higher science scores can compensate for VR, obviously 15 15 3 won't cut it, that's not what i'm suggesting. However, anything >8 and >10s on PS, BS will make you competitive and schools will evaluate ur VR score with the context that you're a non-native speaker.

Goodluck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's not much to really say since you're just asking what your chances are and they're not very good.

As high as your grades are, they're only a part of your application, and your MCAT score will definitely hold you back. I wouldn't apply this year but next. Use that time to improve your scores as well as work in any weak areas of your application. Otherwise, it might just be a waste of money.

Right now you have about a 40% of acceptance to Medical School if you apply early and broadly.

Ok, your situation is slightly different, but still a 6 wouldn't cut it through. Do more practice tests. Take a kaplan course (just verbal reasoning part) and bring that 6 to atleast an 8 or 9. Then, apply broadly. You will be fine. Don't give up hope.