1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do you write a thank-you reply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fakesmile, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Fakesmile

7+ Year Member

Whenever you ask a question to prof via email and the prof replies you back, do you email back a thank-you reply?
    I usually don't, because I say this in my original email. But I wonder if it's necessary to send the prof a second email just thanking the prof for the reply, even if I did it the first time.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pedsbro

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I often do, just to be courteous. I highly doubt anything bad will come of you if you do not though...

4. justpremed

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i usually just say a quick thanks, that really helped. and leave it at that

5. silverhorse84

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I always said "thanks in advance" in my original email, so I never sent a reply to their reply :)

6. Ubergeek

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Not that I particularly care one way or the other, but some people find "thanks in advance" offensive.

Strunk and White in their "The Elements of Style" point to this phrase as an example of a commonly misused expression. They say that this phrase, "sounds as if the writer meant, 'It will not be worth my while to write to you again.'" Better to just send a short one-liner thanking the prof if you think the help warrants it.

7. TooMuchResearch

TooMuchResearch i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Agreed. Save your profs the two seconds it will take them to read and delete the email. They like it when students don't waste their time.

If you want to still say thanks without sending a follow up email, you can always thank them in person next time to you them.

8. ncguy2005

ncguy2005 ...
    7+ Year Member

I think sending a "thank you" email would annoy me personally if was the professor to recieve one... Especially around test times when you know their email box is going to be full of student emails...why crowd their box even more?