Doctor-doctor couples and sex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Apply Pressure

Full Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen a few threads around addressing doctor-doctor couples but none seem to specifically address sex.

Do the ridiculous work hours and responsibilites that come with being in a two physician relationship make it impossible to have a normal sex life? Furthermore, what happens when children are added to the equation? From an outsider's glance, the situation seems bleak. Looking forward to the responses.
 
Not really sure what constitutes a "normal" sex life but then again, I listen to "Savage Love" a lot. 🙂

I think like most things in Dr/Dr relationships, you just have to be aware of the issues that concern you and make sure both parties have an understanding. Then you can actually do something about it, like making a pact to have sex X number of times a week or whatever. Things might slip and the other partner may have to step up and do something like renting a nice hotel room and dragging your partner there for some sex. Of course, you need to be more suave than I just type it here... :laugh:

Same thing with kids. Find a babysitter and make time for yourselves every once in awhile.

-X
 
how long is one of your sex episodes?? it doesnt require that much time
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It doesn't matter what career you and your spouse do, having children will destroy all sexual activity or desire therein for a few years. Just ask any parent.
 
Hmmm.... that wasn't my experience although I think NOT having a TV gave us "extra" time and we went to bed earlier. Three kids too but we were really punctual about their bath/bedtimes. All done by 7 to 7:30. We had a lot of friends that didn't do this and they seemed to suffer from a lack of time together.
 
Hmmm.... that wasn't my experience although I think NOT having a TV gave us "extra" time and we went to bed earlier. Three kids too but we were really punctual about their bath/bedtimes. All done by 7 to 7:30. We had a lot of friends that didn't do this and they seemed to suffer from a lack of time together.
We had adequate time to get the job done [ahem] but not the desire. "You try anything and I'll break your finger...Sweetheart."
 
It doesn't matter what career you and your spouse do, having children will destroy all sexual activity or desire therein for a few years. Just ask any parent.

I'm pretty sure the desire sticks around.....the opportunities to act on those desires wont necessarily
 
I'm pretty sure the desire sticks around.....the opportunities to act on those desires wont necessarily
Not in my case (two kids now ages 7 and 4, physician wife). We mutually had NO desire during each kid's infancy until we got them sleep-trained. We had plenty of opportunities because in reality it doesn't take that long to get the job done, but neither one of us was in the mood. Of course we had children when my wife and I were 31 and 34 respectively, so maybe if we'd had kids in our twenties it would've been different.

I like that scene in Knocked Up where the husband is brushing his teeth and the wife is checking her complexion, about as un-romantic as can be: "So are we gonna have sex or what?" he says. She replies, "Uggggggh!"

To the OP: As Attendings my wife and I have normal work schedules. Actually I have more free time than most people as I am in the office Wednesdays and Thursdays and do surgeries Friday mornings if I have any cases. The bleak-looking arduous schedules exist more during Residency.
 
Last edited:
Not in my case (two kids now ages 7 and 4, physician wife). We mutually had NO desire during each kid's infancy until we got them sleep-trained. We had plenty of opportunities because in reality it doesn't take that long to get the job done, but neither one of us was in the mood. Of course we had children when my wife and I were 31 and 34 respectively, so maybe if we'd had kids in our twenties it would've been different.

I like that scene in Knocked Up where the husband is brushing his teeth and the wife is checking her complexion, about as un-romantic as can be: "So are we gonna have sex or what?" he says. She replies, "Uggggggh!"

To the OP: As Attendings my wife and I have normal work schedules. Actually I have more free time than most people as I am in the office Wednesdays and Thursdays and do surgeries Friday mornings if I have any cases. The bleak-looking arduous schedules exist more during Residency.

first bold part: true...very, very, very, very true. nothing like a crying baby to deflate the situation

second bold part: sounds like you have boring sex. head to the nearest barnes and noble and buy yourself one of those awesome sex books....fun fun fun for everyone👍
 
first bold part: true...very, very, very, very true. nothing like a crying baby to deflate the situation

So you have kids? I was under the impression you were too young for that, like maybe only 20 or 21 years old. Did you and your wife keep at it during your child's infancy?

second bold part: sounds like you have boring sex. head to the nearest barnes and noble and buy yourself one of those awesome sex books....fun fun fun for everyone👍
We call it married-sex, not boring-sex.
 
Last edited: