Military Doctors and Dual Professional Couples

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Infantry Officer

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

Bottom line up front: I'm looking for success stories about Military spouse's professional careers.

I am currently engaged to a wonderful woman who means the world to me. She is a Navy physician and will be finishing up her family medicine residency in a couple years. We will likely move and I'm encouraging her to pick something exciting and something she really wants to do even though I know this will hurt my career.

I am a prior Marine infantry officer and got out after 6 years of service. I am a currently a manufacturing supervisor with an undergrad in mechanical engineering. While I have a pretty solid(ish) resume, I'm not sure if it will be enough to stay employed for wherever we might go. My chief concern will be staying employed when we move; I feel restless when I'm not engaged with something meaningful.

These are my options as I currently see it (Ranked)
1) Grad school (Taking the GRE in June)
2) Work as an engineer
3) Work as a supervisor
4) Go active reserves with the Marines
5) Accept a menial job as its better than nothing
6) unemployed and stay at home while I slowly slip into madness

So, I'm just looking for advice from some of you that have tried the dual professional couple route and hopefully some success stories.

Thanks a ton and I look forward to your responses.

Regards,
The engine that could
 
We have a milmed forum where you might get more specific answers but they often repeated advice is...

If your spouse is military and you want to be with them as much as possible, stay out of the military....at the very least try to stay in the same branch

Understand that your career will take a drastic second seat to their assignments, you may have to redefine what you do a few times to have a job and live with her