doctor dreams gone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDO25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys I'm sorry i always post bad news and I have had low self confidence in my past posts. First of all I have been going through alot of things for 1.5 years. I went through depression and once I got over it my girlfriend of over 1 year broke up with me and now I'm feeling down again. More specifically she broke up with me this week and there's only a week until school starts. I also feel really bad because I said some very hurtful things after I broke and I feel immense remorse for it. ( she'll probably never forget what i said and never want to be friends anymore) Right now after 1st quarter my overall science gpa is 2.9. It's horrible i know. Depression and a broken heart are really hitting me but I know it shouldn't be an excuse. Now my dream to become a doctor is stronger than ever. I'm a junior and my first quarter ended. I have not taken my mcat yet. I still have two more quarters for my junior year and three quarters for my senior year. I don't know what to do. Maybe it's time to give up? I've been reading some forums that siad 2.9 sgpa ruins you and post bacc is not the best thing to do and DO schools I believe no longer to grade replacement. Also I've taken 54 units all together in my science classes. Please help me guys. PS I'm an Asian male california resident who's going to a UC school

Members don't see this ad.

Go seek mental help. You can still save that GPA.

Reactions: 14 users
Go seek mental help. You can still save that GPA.
I totally agree. Honestly if you are up for it this semester don't go. I'm sure that there is a lot of Parental pressure or self pressure or something that makes you feel like you really have to go again this next semester, but honestly if you're going to head into it and not start off well, it isn't worth it. This semester would be better spent taking care of yourself mentally. I'm sorry. Stuff like this really sucks and I really do get where you're coming from having come from a similar situation myself. But I took myself out of school. For 3 years actually till I was good to go. Took a lot of repair work but I'm so glad that I didn't try and keep going through and completely and irrevocably damaged my GPA. Chin up. Turn to whatever support systems you have and try and seek help from a professional if you can. If you absolutely have to go this next semester, just know that you don't have any more wiggle room. Hit the ground running. It's not the healthiest way but if you could just bury your pain and distract yourself with school stuff. That would be my plan be if I were you. Good luck! You're definitely not done for if you do really really well from here on out.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It might not be a bad idea to take a medical leave of absence or transfer to a different school if it would allow you to have a stronger support system. You can still bring up your sGPA but it’ll be an uphill battle and you’ll have to nail your mcat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
There are DO post-baccs that have guaranteed acceptances if you can get your GPA over the 3.0 threshold (but preferably get yourself a trend of near 4.0 over a few semesters to prove to yourself you can handle it).

That GPA is definitely not too far gone to make something happen with enough time, but you need to get yourself in order. Put that relationship in the past or it's going to distract you of the goal of that GPA. If you aren't getting treatment for depression from a physician, make that happen yesterday. You are in the prime moment where you can decide how the course of your future goes. Make the right choices that set you up for success.

Your dreams are never gone. Please understand this. There is always a way, and a possibility. From what I understand DO schools reward reinvention. But you can not move forward while you still have the metaphorical anvil tied to your leg. I would suggest seeing your schools counseling center for support. There is always a way.

hey guys I'm sorry i always post bad news and I have had low self confidence in my past posts. First of all I have been going through alot of things for 1.5 years. I went through depression and once I got over it my girlfriend of over 1 year broke up with me and now I'm feeling down again. More specifically she broke up with me this week and there's only a week until school starts. I also feel really bad because I said some very hurtful things after I broke and I feel immense remorse for it. ( she'll probably never forget what i said and never want to be friends anymore) Right now after 1st quarter my overall science gpa is 2.9. It's horrible i know. Depression and a broken heart are really hitting me but I know it shouldn't be an excuse. Now my dream to become a doctor is stronger than ever. I'm a junior and my first quarter ended. I have not taken my mcat yet. I still have two more quarters for my junior year and three quarters for my senior year. I don't know what to do. Maybe it's time to give up? I've been reading some forums that siad 2.9 sgpa ruins you and post bacc is not the best thing to do and DO schools I believe no longer to grade replacement. Also I've taken 54 units all together in my science classes. Please help me guys. PS I'm an Asian male california resident who's going to a UC school

Sorry to hear that bud! Although I can't give you much comment on relationship issues, some words that are said can never be taken back.

With that said, your dreams are never over, no matter how dreadful and horrible you feel at the moment. If medicine is what your passion and goals are, do not give up. Like others mentioned, request a leave of absence at your current UC to get yourself back on track. Depression is no joke and a lot of people go through it unknowingly.

I myself had a similar GPA, attended a UC, Asian male, and pursued a postbac after graduation. Recently got accepted this cycle, do not give up!

Reactions: 1 user
Me and my ex-gf broke up the same week as my MCAT.

I'm not saying I wish the worst for her, but I'm not certainly saying I wish the best for her.

Reactions: 9 users

I'm not saying I wish the worst for her, but I'm not certainly saying I wish the best for her.
Crush the MCAT and show her that you didn’t need her anyway!

Crush the MCAT and show her that you didn’t need her anyway!

Some schools think I did well enough! Thanks!

I usually don't get "emotional", but I will say it sucked a lot. That's when I started working out. And kept working out for a couple years. I don't plan on ever giving up working out a few days a week either.

My then girlfriend ended up in the hospital the weekend before mine as well as some extremely crazy family stuff. Was shocked I did as well as I did

Hey guys. Thanks for all the support. The breakup was really tough on me but thank god it was during break (I have a few days left). Instead of taking a leave from school I compromised and I am only taking humanities (easy) courses this quarter. The thing that sucks the most is that my ex legit lives the building across from me. For anyone who has gone through relationships please give me advice on what to do. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Thanks for all the support. The breakup was really tough on me but thank god it was during break (I have a few days left). Instead of taking a leave from school I compromised and I am only taking humanities (easy) courses this quarter. The thing that sucks the most is that my ex legit lives the building across from me. For anyone who has gone through relationships please give me advice on what to do. Thanks again.

You'll learn real fast that only time heals those types of emotional deals.

However, I would advise to start working out a couple days a week, even for a couple hours. I think it helps you feel like you can be as attractive as you want.

Also, move on. You should not let your ex have this type of hold on you. In the nicest of terms, get over it.

Hey man. Thought I stop by and let you know that I got dumped a month before med school started. High school sweet heart through undergrad. So, 8 years. So when I say I know how you feel, believe me. My med school performance has been mediocre at best and I know I can do way better. THATS the frustrating part. Last week, 7 months later, found out she was dating someone new and was devastated. I finally decided to be proactive and seek mental health help through my school and I start therapy next week. Sometimes it's hard to remember we are people, as well, in this environment. I thought to myself, how can I take care of others one day if I can't even take care of myself now? That's when I knew I had to do something. Understand that there's nothing wrong with seeking out help. Ignore the stigma on it and get help. Your future self ,10 years from now, in your office with a picture of your future family in front of you will look back and thank you.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for sharing I guess......I don't know if I would have the courage to spill my guts about personal stuff so props to you. Grab the headphones, pump the anger music, and ditch the broad. If after a week, you're still devastated beyond belief and not any better than you should seek professional help and possibly even medication. If this is going to take over your life, drop out of school for the next semester....figure your life out. Med School stress is going to be just as tough. I'm glad you got dumped, we all need it and it makes us better. Figure out what you need to learn from the experience and then get the hell back to work. You'll be fine.....take things one day at a time.

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough time. As stated earlier, I would definitely look into post-bacc programs and other master/graduate programs. I know quite a few people who have used those programs to get into a DO school with a sub 3.0 GPA.

Hi friend, I know how hard life seems right now. I promise, it WILL get better though. Seeing your undergrad sGPA is pretty low, I would recommend taking upper-level science courses or taking a gap year to do an SMP where you REALLY have to excel. During the months between, study for the MCAT and kill it. Med schools love a redemption or comeback, so work hard, keep yourself focused, and remember that the problems that you have don't define you. You may have said some hurtful things to your ex gf, but in this field, you gotta learn to take these things as learning experiences. Good luck!

Hey guys. I have been feeling better since it happened. I don't want to bore you with the details but I'm pretty much almost back to normal and will be after this quarter. I was just wondering what should I do? Is there a chance I can raise my sgpa to a competitive point where I don't have to do a post bacc? Should I start studying for the mcat? I've been looking at the material on it and alot of it I forget learning so I feel like I'm back to square 1. Should I involve myself in research and go back to volunteering/shadowing? I also recently joined a social club and an honor society and I'm happy in both. Advice would be much appreciated.

Get your GPA as high as you can. Then focus on the MCAT. Get ~200 hours of clinical experience, shadow a DO and get a LOR.
Worry about everything else when those are in order.
There's no point worrying about the MCAT now when your GPA makes you uncompetitive same with volunteering/shadowing.

8.gif

Well, at least you aren't this guy. :thinking:

Reactions: 1 users
Hey man. Thought I stop by and let you know that I got dumped a month before med school started. High school sweet heart through undergrad. So, 8 years. So when I say I know how you feel, believe me. My med school performance has been mediocre at best and I know I can do way better. THATS the frustrating part. Last week, 7 months later, found out she was dating someone new and was devastated. I finally decided to be proactive and seek mental health help through my school and I start therapy next week. Sometimes it's hard to remember we are people, as well, in this environment. I thought to myself, how can I take care of others one day if I can't even take care of myself now? That's when I knew I had to do something. Understand that there's nothing wrong with seeking out help. Ignore the stigma on it and get help. Your future self ,10 years from now, in your office with a picture of your future family in front of you will look back and thank you.
Hey man thank you for the comment. Sorry for the late response as I haven't been checking SDN. If you don't mind how did you cope with the breakup? how did you heal yourself? I've heard the cliche time heals all wounds, focus on yourself, surround yourself with people you love. But I still wake up feeling lonely and destroyed. How did you fix yourself?

I'm sorry you had to go through this stuff at a critical time in your medical training, I did too. Please get in to see a Psychiatrist, he/she will do what's appropriate, with all of the options available. Focusing on yourself could also mean meditation, for which you should probably seek out a trainer for this for a few sessions, or watch some YouTube for lots of free advice. You will experience the most extreme roller-coaster of emotions in your life throughout this career, so do at least get the knowledge to best address depression and how it can actually be bad for your attention span and ability to study well.
All the best, JG.

Thanks for sharing I guess......I don't know if I would have the courage to spill my guts about personal stuff so props to you. Grab the headphones, pump the anger music, and ditch the broad. If after a week, you're still devastated beyond belief and not any better than you should seek professional help and possibly even medication. If this is going to take over your life, drop out of school for the next semester....figure your life out. Med School stress is going to be just as tough. I'm glad you got dumped, we all need it and it makes us better. Figure out what you need to learn from the experience and then get the hell back to work. You'll be fine.....take things one day at a time.
Metal is always a great solution.
"BLACK SOULS! EMPTY BODIES!"