Doctor shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergrad in Canada, and I'd love to do this. Where would I go and how would I find someone that I could shadow?

Members don't see this ad.

Just ask a dr. you work with or that you know well, whether it be family friend or friend of a friend or you could randomly call a hospital. Some emergency rooms are familiar with people wanting to shadow and can set you up with a doc. A friend from college worked in a small clinic so that he could observe the dr. when he wasn't busy with his work. Don't be afraid to ask around. In my experience, people were excited that I was interested in their work and were happy to show me what they did.

doesn't HIPAA now prevent shadowing?

Members don't see this ad :)
HIPAA doesnt 'prevent' shadowing, there are just more limits on what you can witness.
As far as finding an opportunity: pull out your phone book and start calling offices. A good friend of mine did this and landed a great shadowing opportunity. Dont be bashful, all doctors were eager premeds at one time.