doctor with psyD

Started by deleted31120
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted31120

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you called doctor with a PsyD degree or only with a phD 😀
 
Any degree with the title "Doctor" will allow you to be called "Doctor." The Psy.D. degree, as you may know, stands for "Doctor of Psychology." The Ph.D. degree stands for "Doctor of Philosophy," although the degree is awarded in a particular field such as psychology, sociology, biophysics, chemistry, or philosophy. People with M.D., D.O., D.M.D., D.D.S., O.D., D.P.M, D.P.T., Ed.D., etc., degrees may all be called "Doctor."

In short, John Doe, Psy.D. may be called Dr. Doe.
 
Unless of course it is a "non-conferred" degree, the only example of which that I can think of is the Juris Doctorate(JD) degree, which is the degree awarded upon completion of law school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
descartes said:
Unless of course it is a "non-conferred" degree, the only example of which that I can think of is the Juris Doctorate(JD) degree, which is the degree awarded upon completion of law school.

Good point, although I have encountered lawyers in academic and other circles who refer to themselves as "Dr." I'm not sure how common it is, however.

Here's are some examples:

http://www.aghayan.com/

http://www.commed.uchc.edu/medicalhumanities/lazzarini/default.htm

Here's a discussion about it from princeton review:

http://discuss.princetonreview.com/tm.asp?m=6979307&mpage=1&#6986597
 
What does "non-conferred" degree mean? I have always wondered why lawyers are not called doctors (seeing as they receive a Juris Doctorate).