Doctor's Houses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

603pharmacy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I was recently invited over to a friends house. My friends father is a plastic surgeon who owns his own practice in a fairly large city. His wife doesn't work and they go on vacation at least 6 times a year to the nicest places. When I pulled up to my friends house, my jaw dropped. They live in a 5.5 million dollar mansion with a Ferrari in the garage and a Mercedes SLS in the driveway...

The fact that he can support this lifestyle astounds me. This got me thinking of what kinds of houses other doctors live in.

Do you guys know any doctors who live like this?

Members don't see this ad.

This thread seems incredibly troll-y. Physicians tend to live upper middle class lifestyles.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only 5.5 mil? That's nothing

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Lol didn't you make a thread about the cardiologist making $6 million a year yesterday?

All you seem to care about is money, whether you are looking into med school or pharmacy school, you are looking in the completely wrong area if you are hoping to make a lot of money in either. If you're smart and good enough, go study business and get into something like IB or partner at an accounting firm or something similar if you want to live the lavish life, your attitude and desire for money will make a career in healthcare a huge disappointment to you and guarantee your failure.

Reactions: 7 users
Pharmacy student? Job market got ya down eh?

Reactions: 10 users
Hi all,

So I was recently invited over to a friends house. My friends father is a plastic surgeon who owns his own practice in a fairly large city. His wife doesn't work and they go on vacation at least 6 times a year to the nicest places. When I pulled up to my friends house, my jaw dropped. They live in a 5.5 million dollar mansion with a Ferrari in the garage and a Mercedes SLS in the driveway...

The fact that he can support this lifestyle astounds me. This got me thinking of what kinds of houses other doctors live in.

Don't assume he can actually support it, many people live well above their means in order to keep up appearances. Regardless, you'll find super wealthy people at the top of many professional careers. It's not worth dwelling on these things when the vast majority of physicians live far below this kind of lifestyle. You want to know the kinds of houses other doctors live in?

large-suburban-house-13647830.jpg

barkbrief_1.1-fig06_009.jpg

Typical upper middle class homes. Not flashy but still better than what the vast majority of Americans have.

Reactions: 16 users
Hopefully he's smart enough to be saving and investing because the Ferrari + 5.5 million mansion is tough to maintain for the majority of physicians.

All you seem to care about is money, whether you are looking into med school or pharmacy school, you are looking in the completely wrong area if you are hoping to make a lot of money in either. If you're smart and good enough, go study business and get into something like IB or partner at an accounting firm or something similar if you want to live the lavish life, your attitude and desire for money will make a career in healthcare a huge disappointment to you and guarantee your failure.
The reason many people don't make money in medicine is because they don't know how to run a business. If you are business savvy and have an extremely limited in supply skill like medicine, you can make bank.

That doctor must have been living below his means by far then. The vast majority of REAL doctors make between 3-5 Million a year, and usually have at least 4 Ferrari's and 2 Yachts. And are you kidding me? ONLY 6 vacations a year? I'm planning on 12!

Reactions: 24 users
Don't assume he can actually support it, many people live well above their means in order to keep up appearances. Regardless, you'll find super wealthy people at the top of many professional careers. It's not worth dwelling on these things when the vast majority of physicians live far below this kind of lifestyle. You want to know the kinds of houses other doctors live in?

Typical upper middle class homes. Not flashy but still better than what the vast majority of Americans have.

All that money and no taste. It's as if a child was given a drafting program with most of these pre-fab houses.

"Windows? Sure! Put 'em wherever you want!"

Reactions: 6 users
All that money and no taste. It's as if a child was given a drafting program with most of these pre-fab houses.

"Windows? Sure! Put 'em wherever you want!"
I'm going to have a log cabin built........I can't believe how many people will just go with these run of the mill type houses......I'm guessing they'll also drive Toyota's.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That doctor must have been living below his means by far then. The vast majority of REAL doctors make between 3-5 Million a year, and usually have at least 4 Ferrari's and 2 Yachts. And are you kidding me? ONLY 6 vacations a year? I'm planning on 12!

I know a Pediatrician pulling 8m a year, working 30 hours a week. I'm surprised this plastic surgeon is slumming it the way he is.

Reactions: 3 users
I know a Pediatrician pulling 8m a year, working 30 hours a week. I'm surprised this plastic surgeon is slumming it the way he is.
The Internist down the street from me actually makes 6 Million a year by working just a couple of 4-hour shifts a month. He also owns a Lamborghini Aventador and has houses in Paris, Vail, and Monaco.

Reactions: 5 users
Reactions: 10 users
The Internist down the street from me actually makes 6 Million a year by working just a couple of 4-hour shifts a month. He also owns a Lamborghini Aventador and has houses in Paris, Vail, and Monaco.
That little?! Are you sure he isn't still in residency?

Reactions: 1 users
Psh log cabin? A radiology professor at my school designed and built a castle http://www.pitt.edu/~caram/castleindex.htm
Okay, that's completely awesome! I just like cabins a little bit better though! If I were to live in a castle, I would just buy Castello di Amorosa in Napa Valley. Seriously, I went to this place on vacation a year ago and it's amazing!
l_6240_castello.di.amorosa.000.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
That little?! Are you sure he isn't still in residency?
Oh, no. His story is actually quite different from the norm......he completed his residency in just 6 months. They told him that if he could accomplish this feat, they would give him that 6 million dollar salary.

Why 12? Why not 500?

Oh, no. His story is actually quite different from the norm......he completed his residency in just 6 months. They told him that if he could accomplish this feat, they would give him that 6 million dollar salary.

I know a family doc pulling in 10 mil per annum by working 2 hrs a week. He didn't even have to do residency. pshh.

I bet the NP's he worked with demanded equal pay.

Reactions: 14 users
Being a physician won't make you rich, it's what you do with your money that will make you rich.

I know a neurosurgeon who secretly bailed out the Vatican bank when all the money it had invested in Lehman Brothers disappeared in '08. Literally has more money than God.

Being a physician won't make you rich, it's what you do with your money that will make you rich.
This is super true. All kidding aside, Physicians in general take home very generous paychecks. You will certainly be Upper-Middle class by working as a doctor. If you want to get rich, your paycheck allows you enough money to invest so you can buy that Ferrari and dream home when you retire.

bet wut abowt teh wimmenz? Lel

Hi all,

Are they too poor to afford a 2 car garage? Peasants.

Bro that's the kind of house I live in now.

SDN really knows how to drive a joke into the ground.

On a serious note, I agree with Namerguy. Dude may actually be in incredible debt and "house poor." Physicians aren't known for being particularly good with money.

I grew up with a modest income, large houses and ferraris seem excessive imo, a decent house and a bmw is fine for me.

I'm going to have a log cabin built........I can't believe how many people will just go with these run of the mill type houses......I'm guessing they'll also drive Toyota's.

home-hdr-img.jpg

:D
Rural practice has its benefits.

Reactions: 12 users
That's awesome...til nighttime. :nailbiting:
creepy-window.jpg

That certainly would get creepy, especially out in the woods where I would like to be living....Maybe there is light activated tinting that darkens when the sun goes down so that you can see out but no one (nothing) can see in.

Since we are talking about houses. What areas in California have like a few minutes drive to the beach, they are close to forest, skiing places, and have nice huge homes?
Example:
ca881ba8f406edc6d0a3d30890a0a494.png

Last edited:
The ones you can't afford ;)
2-3 million dollar homes?

Edit: Dude, the pic I linked those houses go for 300k-400k here on Texas. :eek: That's cheap compare to California.
Double edit: lol so one of the houses in that street is up for bid and the bidding starts at 300k, so I think these houses are actually worth 700-900k. Nevertheless, the Texas houses are bigger and still cheaper than the smaller house in Berkeley.

Almost 790k for this dump in Berkeley. The inside looks spacious, though.
http://www.trulia.com/property/3096170656-2134-Bonar-St-Berkeley-CA-94702

Last edited:
2- million dollar homes?

20% down with a 30 year mortgage could possibly be doable with the right specialty, general rule of thumb you can only afford 3x your income; that being a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
Location, location, location.

Also, that place doesn't look like a "dump" to me.
I did another edit, Reckoner. That house in Berkeley looks like a hipster house to me lol.
The location is in small cities to the north of Houston.

25% down with a 30 year mortgage could possibly be doable with the right specialty, general rule of thumb you can only afford 3x your income; that being a bit of a stretch.
I'm really want to go into surgery. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and I don't feel like going back to the ghetto parts of LA and dealing with traffic. If I go back to Cali I want to live by Stanford. Time will tell. :thinking:

Local anesthesiologist with whom I became friends had a nice house with a sauna. Small town (20,000) though.

I'm really want to go into surgery. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and I don't feel like going back to the ghetto parts of LA and dealing with traffic. If I go back to Cali I want to live by Stanford. Time will tell. :thinking:

I was thinking the hyperloop would help. However its not as good as I thought it was, it takes 3 hours and San Fran is still pricey.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/hyperloop

This is super true. All kidding aside, Physicians in general take home very generous paychecks. You will certainly be Upper-Middle class by working as a doctor. If you want to get rich, your paycheck allows you enough money to invest so you can buy that Ferrari and dream home when you retire.
You gotta pick one.. an "average" Ferrari or a Lambo is doable on a physician's income once you hit you r40s if you're pretty smart with your money. You won't own a dream home though as long as you keep that thing around.

Sounds a bit too Royal Painsy for me.

There are lawyers and judges who make decent to a lot of pay, but they live under their means. The same goes for doctors. I mean really, unless you have a family when are you ever going to use that space?

@BuffOp: classic California style "mcmansions". I used to think all homes look like this in wealthy U.S. suburbs..

You gotta pick one.. an "average" Ferrari or a Lambo is doable on a physician's income once you hit you r40s if you're pretty smart with your money. You won't own a dream home though as long as you keep that thing around.
Nah man, I plan to drive an newer Audi Allroad once I finish my residency. They run about $40,000 brand new, but I'll probably try to buy a used one. As for the house, I WILL own an awesome cabin when I retire(hopefully in Jackson Hole, Wyoming). I'm planning on putting down payments on a bunch of rental properties that I can hang onto for around 35 years. I'll then sell them once they are all paid off, and use the money to build my dream home in CASH.......no mortgage is going to weigh down my retirement.

As for the car, I plan to own a 458 Italia one day. I'm pretty sure the price will come down to around $150,000 for a used one in the next 10-15 years. Honestly, providing a high quality life for my family and investing are going to by my priorities, but if I have some money left over, I can begin to save for that Ferrari!

What kind of surgery?