Doctors more likely to committ suicide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading an article that stated that doctors are twice as likely as the general population to committ suicide in the United States. This applied to women doctors as well as male doctors. The article pointed out that doctors knew how to committ suicide effectively, given their medical training. So when the docs decided to kill themselves, they were usually effective. But why are doctors twice as likely to kill themselves as Joe Six Pack?

Members don't see this ad.

But why are doctors twice as likely to kill themselves as Joe Six Pack?

Because Joe Six Pack is 24 times less likely to get sued by Mike Twelve Pack.
Because Joe Six Pack is not dealing with a-holes like Mike Twelve Pack who won't follow through on given discharge orders
Because Joe Six Pack is not trying to decide whether he should maintain his practice and moonlight somewhere else or give it up completely.
Because Joe Six Pack is looking at ESPN. Your doc is probably catching up on the latest biweekly/monthly scholarly journal

Members don't see this ad :)
There's only one t in commit.

But have you ever experienced it, I mean commit, have you ever had anyone commit to you, or is it an abstraction, without that extra, that extraneous, "t". It is that little "t" that adds, or subtracts,from your life, depending on your perspective of commit, or "t". Or buzz, and onomatopeia, I know about buzz, but I am not sure about onomatopeia. But God Bless the Bees.

maybe its due to your career being based on controlling someone else's health and could potentially be at fault for killing someone ...

Because Joe Six Pack is 24 times less likely to get sued by Mike Twelve Pack.
Because Joe Six Pack is not dealing with a-holes like Mike Twelve Pack who won't follow through on given discharge orders

Because Joe Six Pack is not trying to decide whether he should maintain his practice and moonlight somewhere else or give it up completely.
Because Joe Six Pack is looking at ESPN. Your doc is probably catching up on the latest biweekly/monthly scholarly journal

:laugh: love this whole six pack vs. twelve pack love affair.

But have you ever experienced it, I mean commit, have you ever had anyone commit to you, or is it an abstraction, without that extra, that extraneous, "t". It is that little "t" that adds, or subtracts,from your life, depending on your perspective of commit, or "t". Or buzz, and onomatopeia, I know about buzz, but I am not sure about onomatopeia. But God Bless the Bees.

Are you high?

hmm. wonder what the national medical school applicant and medical student rates are...

Did doctors overtake dentists? Something's obviously wrong with this generation of dentists, so easily giving up the crown. I look to the Pre-Dents to take back what is rightfully theirs.

Are you high?

Well, climbing fourteeners in Colorado does create an oxygen debt, but if you sleep outside at high altitudes, your body adjusts, and your mind, your mind just soars, in the summer, when you are looking at stars in pitch black skies at 14,000 feet. So I guess I am.

Well, climbing fourteeners in Colorado does create an oxygen debt, but if you sleep outside at high altitudes, your body adjusts, and your mind, your mind just soars, in the summer, when you are looking at stars in pitch black skies at 14,000 feet. So I guess I am.

liar. there is no internet at the fourteeners. there is no way you are there and posting on SDN... you always have a way to make me jealous:(

you are high, but not THAT high.

That's some good ish. Let me hit that a few times.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just reading an article that stated that doctors are twice as likely as the general population to committ suicide in the United States. This applied to women doctors as well as male doctors. The article pointed out that doctors knew how to committ suicide effectively, given their medical training. So when the docs decided to kill themselves, they were usually effective. But why are doctors twice as likely to kill themselves as Joe Six Pack?

First off, I'm skeptical about this. I've heard it before, but no one is able to cite a scientific source - so I think this may be more of an urban legend than a fact. Also, I think that this is a misconception that is rooted in irony. Afterall, doctors are responsible for the well-being of other people's lives, so how come so many take their own lives? The paradox of this extends to other fields as well. For example, it's common to hear that psychologists have the highest suicide rate. But the fact is, there is no conclusive scientific proof that establishes this, so to be honest, I don't think that this is a valid statement.

statistically, it is easy to draw these correlations/conclusions based on raw data. it's the method of controls in the study that're important.

i can draw a conclusion (hypothetically) that people who drink budweiser are more likely to get a 30+ MCAT than those who drink Heineken just based off raw data.

statistically, it is easy to draw these correlations/conclusions based on raw data. it's the method of controls in the study that're important.

i can draw a conclusion (hypothetically) that people who drink budweiser are more likely to get a 30+ MCAT than those who drink Heineken just based off raw data.
lulz. Can you really? :cool:

i think i just fell in love with you.

First off, I'm skeptical about this. I've heard it before, but no one is able to cite a scientific source - so I think this may be more of an urban legend than a fact. Also, I think that this is a misconception that is rooted in irony. Afterall, doctors are responsible for the well-being of other people's lives, so how come so many take their own lives? The paradox of this extends to other fields as well. For example, it's common to hear that psychologists have the highest suicide rate. But the fact is, there is no conclusive scientific proof that establishes this, so to be honest, I don't think that this is a valid statement.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic952.htm

this is the 3rd suicide thread i've read in 5 min...........WTF.

this is the 3rd suicide thread i've read in 5 min...........WTF.

For those with finals approaching or for those who have just finished finals

Surely, at least a few have suicide in mind. lol

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674025493

I dont remember the details, but there are a few basic things that lead individuals to commiting suicide. A few, "necessities". Those are, thwarted belongingness, perceived burdensomeness and the ability for self-harm.

Two are relative, the other is something that happens. People with diminished fear/pain response are more likely to commit suicide.

Better way of describing it, the "capacity for suicide". Doctors, maybe exposed to death so much, that the natural fear of dying is not there. Perhaps this, (like the thing that many believe drives many soldiers to suicide), has given the doctor the "capacity for suicide".

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674025493

I dont remember the details, but there are a few basic things that lead individuals to commiting suicide. A few, "necessities". Those are, thwarted belongingness, perceived burdensomeness and the ability for self-harm.

Two are relative, the other is something that happens. People with diminished fear/pain response are more likely to commit suicide.

Better way of describing it, the "capacity for suicide". Doctors, maybe exposed to death so much, that the natural fear of dying is not there. Perhaps this, (like the thing that many believe drives many soldiers to suicide), has given the doctor the "capacity for suicide".

Wonder how you stumbled upon this thread?...you need help...

You know this thread has been dead for more than 2 years, right?

Arise!

images

Obviously doctors get paid so much they don't know what to spend it on... Which can be quite depressing. So as a function of having several rooms full of gold doubloon without anything to trade it for -- they take the "easy way out".

Sad :(