DoDMERB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, how screwed up is this concept? As an active duty flyer, I have to go through DoDMERB to get physically qualified to go to USUHS. They're not easy to work with, either.

After this is all done, I really need to provide feedback on this. They were happy to accept my security clearance, why aren't they willing to accept the fact that I'm not only physically qualified to serve, I've demonstrated that by serving?!

Members don't see this ad.

MoosePilot said:
Ok, how screwed up is this concept? As an active duty flyer, I have to go through DoDMERB to get physically qualified to go to USUHS. They're not easy to work with, either.

After this is all done, I really need to provide feedback on this. They were happy to accept my security clearance, why aren't they willing to accept the fact that I'm not only physically qualified to serve, I've demonstrated that by serving?!

Sounds like perfect military logic, which makes perfect nonsense. Get used to it, you are only going to see more of it.

MoosePilot said:

I'm afraid that although you remain in the military, the organization is so big that when you switch from the line to corp, it is the same as quiting IBM and going to Apple.

Members don't see this ad :)
militarymd said:
I'm afraid that although you remain in the military, the organization is so big that when you switch from the line to corp, it is the same as quiting IBM and going to Apple.

I think you're right. It's just an example of the huge, faceless bureaucracy.

Hi Moose!
I was in the same boat... even though I had a current flight physical, I had to accomplish a commissioning physical as though I was joining for the first time. Two days prior to my board date, HQ Recruiting at Randolph "realized" my physical hadn't yet been submitted to AETC for the alleged approval it needed. One of the several reasons I almost missed the opportunity to meet the board (I didn't make the decision to apply for HPSP until March- after we decided to move to DC, so I met the last board). Reservists have to go through civilian recruiters to apply for HPSP. And the civilian recruiters have no clue how to deal with reservists/ prior AD. Just to illustrate: I have a CURRENT TS-SCI clearance but I had to accomplish my basic security clearance paperwork (the clearance to join the military) all over again- fingerprints and all. In fact, I got the run around on so many issues- my recruiter finally advised me to file an IG complaint! He was pretty fed up (obviously)- and was changing jobs because he was so dissatisfied with the whole organization. I don't have the time or energy to try to save the recruiting service from itself (assuming an IG complaint would change anything about the recruiting service), but if some of the posts on SDN don't make HPSP recruits think twice about joining, then the poor quality of recruiting service probably will. BTW, congrats on your acceptance! That is GREAT news!
~M

lo these many years when i was trying to qualify for my rotc scholarship, dodmerb tried to disqualify me by saying that i 1)was allergic to bee stings and 2)suffered from chronic allergic rhinitis.

i am not, have never, and doubt i ever will be severely allergic to bee stings. that was a complete fabrication which we were able to get rebutted, but only after involving a lawyer.

for those not aware, chronic allergic rhinitis is basically having a lot of runny noses. nevermind that i was on several varsity sports teams at the time and was obviously perfectly capable of performing any task. i had to visit an ENT who wrote a letter to dodmerb for me; they eventually gave me an exemption.

dodmerb is an evil, evil entity. so evil, it may be called e-vile. absolutely nothing they do, no matter how ridiculous, will ever surprise me.

MoosePilot said:

I had to do the same DODMERB stuff, too, even though I was in pretty good flying shape. I was able to keep the TS-SCI clearance, though. :idea:

MoosePilot said:

Unfortunately, there is no way around it. I really didn't have any trouble since I knew everyone in the MDG I had to go to to get exams, labs, etc. It is total B.S., especially if you pass a Class I flight physical. Talk to your senior flight surgeon and see if they can't grease the skids a bit. Good luck! I empathize, believe me!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Unfortunately, there is no way around it. I really didn't have any trouble since I knew everyone in the MDG I had to go to to get exams, labs, etc. It is total B.S., especially if you pass a Class I flight physical. Talk to your senior flight surgeon and see if they can't grease the skids a bit. Good luck! I empathize, believe me!

My big problem was that my friends left before I had to get it. I'm getting it straightened out, but it's a huge pain. Waivers are the default, which is stupid. Fix your system, don't put all the effectiveness into the secondary system...

MoosePilot said:
Fix your system, don't put all the effectiveness into the secondary system...

That sounds vaguely familiar