Does a High Step 2 score make up for a mediocre step I score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md_hopeful21

Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a High Step 2 score make up for a mediocre step I score?

Also what is the standard deviation for step2

Members don't see this ad.

if you scored 185 on step 1 and scored a 265 on step 2 then yes
if you scored a 185 on step 1 and scored a 195 on step 2 then no

Well i wouldn't really consider 185 a mediocre score like the OP was saying in his question considering its the cutoff for passing

If you have an average score of 220 (mediocre) with a 240, it would definitely help your application. Even 230 helps but of course it all depends on what programs use to screen - Step 1 scores, Step 2 scores, both?

Well both scores were above 230 but my step 2 was more than 20 points above step 1, the problem is i'm trying to go for a very competitive specialty

Members don't see this ad :)
Well assuming a Step 1 of 230 and Step 2 of 250 you've definitely maneuvered into good positioning but it depends on what the "very competitive" specialty is. Plastics and derm are very very competitive and you have individuals who have 260's the first time around with AOAs and research applying to them so maybe a bit more difficult in those fields. However, other fields it varies. I know of someone with a 220ish step 1 and 240ish step 2 who matched Ophtho though the average score apparently for accepted applicants just went over 230 for step 1 so its not like derm where most people are 250-260s. A sadder derm story is someone who was AOA, 250+ score, applied/interviewed 30+ spots and didn't get into derm. Rub elbows with the right people, get great letters and it could happen. Good luck

A sadder derm story is someone who was AOA, 250+ score, applied/interviewed 30+ spots and didn't get into derm. Rub elbows with the right people, get great letters and it could happen. Good luck

wow. 30 interviews and no match.....

he must've been really flawed off the papers.

Well assuming a Step 1 of 230 and Step 2 of 250 you've definitely maneuvered into good positioning but it depends on what the "very competitive" specialty is. Plastics and derm are very very competitive and you have individuals who have 260's the first time around with AOAs and research applying to them so maybe a bit more difficult in those fields. However, other fields it varies. I know of someone with a 220ish step 1 and 240ish step 2 who matched Ophtho though the average score apparently for accepted applicants just went over 230 for step 1 so its not like derm where most people are 250-260s. A sadder derm story is someone who was AOA, 250+ score, applied/interviewed 30+ spots and didn't get into derm. Rub elbows with the right people, get great letters and it could happen. Good luck

This is not true. The average Step 1 score for Derm was 240. Check out charting outcomes on the NRMP website.

If "most people" had 250-260s then average would not be 240. Unless of course the minority had scores in the < 190's, which we all know is not the case.

Well I'll edit my prior statement with this: It depends on where you want to go. Most of the people I know had applied to big cities i.e. NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc. (and of course the smaller programs on their list of 30-40places). For those programs, yes the averages run higher in the ranges of 250-260s. I'm not saying that people with less don't get in because more things are factored into it than just a step score (AOA status, research, etc).

So for a competitive specialty, is the consensus that a nearly identical score on Step 1 vs 2 (+/- 5 either up or down), does not make a difference?

If youre first score is high, and so is your second. it means your solid

but If youre score is not high the first time nor the second time then I guess that just says your plateau for one reason or another? In this situation does it mean taking the exam was essentially a misuse of your time, since no further data is gathered by programs that benefits you?

Interested to hear thoughts...

Your step 2 score should be at least 10 points higher than your step 1 score to be 'equivalent' unless your step 1 score is insanely high, because the average on Step 1 for me was 224, and the average on Step 2 for me was 237.