Does a radiology resident need call to become a good radiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Director1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the answer is a definitive yes!!! In order to break the chains of dependence, you need the experience of making independent choices as an attending radiologist does. The only way to get that experience is call. There is an article called Call- A Rite of Passage that explains the reasons behind call and what is expected of a radiology resident at nighttime. Does any one think that they could be a good radiologist without the call experience? If so, explain!!

Members don't see this ad.

most programs have or are already moving towards 24/7 attending coverage. mainly due to outside pressures.

I am in the middle of a 2 week stretch of night float. While it is absolutely miserable, I do think that it helps me grow as a radiologist. We also do not have 24/7 attending coverage. I have to wake up an attending overnight if there is a request for an attending read.

That sounds like you are getting some real world experience. It's really important and you will appreciate it later in your career. No pain no gain!!!!