does a sports vision optometrist actually work in a sports clinic or in a ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobcollet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
regular office. that would be so cool. aha!!!!!!!!!.hwhoa!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

wow. i think you have more shadowing to do. and research. just saying.

Members don't see this ad :)

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. GOOD Question!!!

wow. i think you have more shadowing to do. and research. just saying.

Sorry, but dont you think you jumping to conclusions. Sports Vision isn't extremely popular, and for the most part many people go into optometry school without ever meeting a Optometrist that has specialized in sports vision. I have done a lot of shadowing and volunteering and I have never shadowed any Optomerist that has specialized in SV....soooo cool your jets... this forum is for learning and helping, NOT to criticize those who have questions!

and seriously, worry about getting into a school before you even think about doing a sports vision residency. you do know what a residency is right OP ? :rolleyes:

and seriously, worry about getting into a school before you even think about doing a sports vision residency. You do know what a residency is right op ? :rolleyes:

sweeeett!!!

all joking aside. this is what i understand regarding sports vision: its a very small field at the moment but is growing quickly. whether you work in an office or work outside the office may depend on how involved in sports you are. I know there are optometrists that work with major league sports teams...there is a doctor at the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA who is a PhD research prof, but also works with both the LA Dodgers and Boston Red Sox (I think hes part of a group of optometrists/ophthalmologists who work with those teams). Because it may be rather expensive for amateur, college or semi-pro teams to have an optometrist on staff full time, and also because the field is still relatively young, there isn't a demand on specialty sports vision optometrists just yet (again, from what i understand from talking to my cousin whos a student at PCO).

basically: i think you can do both.

Last edited:

A sports vision Optometrist usually works in both places. There are specialty clinics for performance and training and a normal office is used for the initial and following eye exams.

I was very interested in sports vision, back in the day, but since then I have found it is a very narrow niche and really didn't measure up to my expectations.

I would shadow a sports vision Optometrist and find out as much as possible.

If you are close to the University of Houston, the Optometry College has a sports vision clinic. Dr. Gee is the attending. He would be a good person to contact.

Good luck,

Dr. Gump

If you're thinking about sports vision at all, I highly suggest trying to get in contact with anyone that is involved in it. If you are trying to decide where to go and want to possibly specialize in sports vision, PUCO is one place you need to seriously consider. Nike World Headquarters is about 15 minutes from the PUCO campus and donates a lot of money to the optometry program and even has a Nike vision lab inside the school. One of the world in sports vision is a man by the name of Dr. Reichow. He is a pioneer in the field that worked as an OD at Pacific but then moved on to Nike to work as the World Director of Sports Vision. I'm a current student at Pacific and am actually going to be sports vision club president next year. We do vision screenings on Pacific undergrad sports teams, Oregon State volleyball team, and more. There are many sports vision doctors that split time with primary care or especially with vision therapy. Its a very new field and its constantly growing, but it is still a very small niche that is hard to be the only source of income for an OD.