Tips for a Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uchiha_21

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just finished my Sophomore year at my undergrad college and am wondering if anyone can offer tips to help me prepare for Optometry School admissions. I don't have the best GPA, in my Freshman year, I've dealt with a lot of personal problems and thus I started with a GPA of 2.45. I quickly realized my wrong and with more focus and dedication, I managed to end my Sophomore year with about a 3.1 (am still waiting for a grade for 2 classes but I'm expecting a B+/A-). I understand this GPA is still pretty low so I was wondering what I can do to improve my chances of getting into Optometry school, specifically SUNY of Optometry. Any advice would be well appreciated :)

Also a few questions I have:

- How do I find an optometrist to shadow/How many hours of shadowing are recommended?
- My Prereq courses are pretty low (Freshman year), but will Optometry schools notice my improvement in grades?
- I managed to intern at a Nursing Company my Freshman year but due to COVID, my internship fell through this summer, is that okay?
- What field of internships do you guys recommend?
- I participated in Dance clubs on campus, but is there any clubs I should seek out that would interest Optometry schools on my Application?

Sorry if these are a lot of questions, I am really worried and I really want to put my best into my last two years of college. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I just finished my Sophomore year at my undergrad college and am wondering if anyone can offer tips to help me prepare for Optometry School admissions. I don't have the best GPA, in my Freshman year, I've dealt with a lot of personal problems and thus I started with a GPA of 2.45. I quickly realized my wrong and with more focus and dedication, I managed to end my Sophomore year with about a 3.1 (am still waiting for a grade for 2 classes but I'm expecting a B+/A-). I understand this GPA is still pretty low so I was wondering what I can do to improve my chances of getting into Optometry school, specifically SUNY of Optometry. Any advice would be well appreciated :)

Also a few questions I have:

- How do I find an optometrist to shadow/How many hours of shadowing are recommended?
- My Prereq courses are pretty low (Freshman year), but will Optometry schools notice my improvement in grades?
- I managed to intern at a Nursing Company my Freshman year but due to COVID, my internship fell through this summer, is that okay?
- What field of internships do you guys recommend?
- I participated in Dance clubs on campus, but is there any clubs I should seek out that would interest Optometry schools on my Application?

Sorry if these are a lot of questions, I am really worried and I really want to put my best into my last two years of college. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips :)
-Most of the ODs I shadowed are alumni from my college. If you have a pre-health advisor or someone like that they may be able to get you in contact with the alumni network. You can look at the websites for whatever schools you are looking to apply to for the minimum amount of hours but personally I would try and look for different types of practices rather than just spending all your time at one. That way you can see more of what the profession has to offer.
-Yes, upward trend is good. Having a high GPA can only help you.
-I'm sure this is happening to the majority of students so schools will understand.
-I never did any internships in undergrad but I did try and find volunteering that related to optometry/healthcare. I also work in a healthcare related field. It all comes down to gaining exposure to the career that you want to pursue.
-Focus on doing things that interest you. It's insincere to do something just to put on an application. But as I said, relevant experience is both helpful for your application and more importantly for you because it gives you a glimpse into what you will be doing as a job for most of your life.

- I agree with the previous post. Your campus pre-optometry club or pre-health society may be able to help connect you. Otherwise, you can contact offices to see if they are allowing this. It may be a challenge due to COVID, but you have two years.
- An improvement in grades over the years is great. Combining that with a high OAT score (>340) will be even better.
- I'm sure you're not the only one this is happening to.
- Optometry-related internships would be best.
- I agree with the above post. Any clubs/majors that will help you succeed are okay. You are an individual, and schools like to see that. Personally, I was in the pre-opt club and also tutored for a biology class. Some people do dance. Some people work as personal trainers. It's really all up to what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with statements above.

Also wanted to share that Ohio State University (College of Optometry) send an email out in regards an pre-optometry summer program "
Host this year’s Improving Diversity in Optometric Careers program virtually! We are really excited about the new look of IDOC this year. You can find all the details on the virtual program as well as a link to the application at this link: https://u.osu.edu/idoc/."

It is virtually this year but definitely a great add on to your application and it will show your motivation and passion for this field. You can also find other programs. It never hurts to apply, Like these links below:

Apply to WesternU, UIWRSO, NECO, MCPHS, and Midwestern. You will most likely get into one of those schools. Join a pre-optometry club. Work for any optometrist office, Visionworks is always hiring. If you can’t get a job, ask your neighborhood optometrist if you could shadow them for a week and record the hours on your application.