Does ACT or SAT scores show up when applying to Med-schooL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mwz1024

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does ACT or SAT scores show up when applying to Med-schooL? I got a 24 on my ACT and my dad told me that is not good enough to be a doctor(He is a doctor himself). Kind of draining my self-esteem. But how important are these standardised tests in trying to get in medschool :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools have a place for it on their secondary. One of the schools I applied to asked for SAT but not ACT. I did however write in my ACT score in the blank for SAT and wrote next to it ACT. I did this cause the admit dept and told me in advance that they looked at the SAT or the ACT. She said they like to see a 28 on the ACT.

I got way worse then you did. I got a 19. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It hasn't seemed to have any affect seeing as I have been interviewed by that school. But I had taken it 17 years ago, so I can only assume that I got smarter since that time. Don't sweat it. If your MCAT is fine it shouldn't be a problem.

I've only had one school ask for SAT scores (Jefferson). I don't think many schools care what your college entrance exams are. However, standardized tests are important for medical school so if you have trouble with taking them, start practicing. The MCAT and the USMLE are standardized tests in which the higher you score, the more opportunities are available to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that the University of Chicago asked for SAT/ACT scores

Yep, University of Chicago asked for SAT and ACT scores on the secondary, as did Duke. I was also asked at my Wayne State interview to provide those scores and my high school class rank.

I wouldn't sweat it if you got a 24 on your ACT...just make sure to kick @$$ on the MCAT, get good grades in college, and you will be fine. :)

I don't think it's detrimental. If you've got a good ACT score then it can be helpful, but you won't have a problem if you've got a good MCAT score. The Texas application asks for SAT or ACT scores on the supplemental data request page. Somewhere else on the application it also asked for class rank. Even though I got an average MCAT (28) for Texas schools, I got a lot of attention from all of the schools. I got a 32 on the ACT and was ranked 8th in my class, plus i'm an URM. I hardly have any EC's, no clinical experience and I applied when I was 19 (in other words, there were a lot of negatives). I think doing well on the ACT helped me, but if I had gotten a 24 it just would have been a neutral point.

Wow, what a mean thing for your dad to say, Mwz1024! Really, the ACT/SAT has nothing to do with getting in to med school. As you're seeing, only a few schools even ask about it, most explicitly say that they don't want you to write anything down on your application that you have done before college. For example, if you are a valedictorian of a high school class of 600, nobody cares when you are applying to med school, infact you look cheezy even mentioning it.

Be forewarned...

Regardless of whether or not a medical school requests SAT/ACT scores, they may appear on your college transcripts as they did on mine (University of Florida).

Wash U asks for that information too.

i only had one school ask for SAT (Jefferson). i think schools do this so they can compare it to your MCAT scores. This helps them see whether or not you are a good standardized test taker, since physicians are required to take a number of these exams. I don't think they use the SAT/ACT as a primary factor, but more as a comparison.

My ACT and MCAT scores were the same. Damn thats weird.

Originally posted by Ditwee:
•Be forewarned...

Regardless of whether or not a medical school requests SAT/ACT scores, they may appear on your college transcripts as they did on mine (University of Florida).•••

What are you sweating, Ditwee? You've got a great SAT score! :D

Penn State asks for your ACT/SAT scores.

so does baylor, but you can say you don't remember. ;)

Gee...This makes me feel a lot better when you all tell me what colleges ask for!!!