Medical Does Ambulatory Tech - counts as clinical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a job as a part time ambulatory tech working in outpatient medical imaging. I mainly call patients and occasionally see them. I am wondering if this counts as clinical experience? I don't have any other way to get in to the hospital right now, all the hospices are closed for in-person visits, and I cannot volunteer. I am getting a bit discouraged because I'm not sure if I will have enough clinical hours before I apply in 2022. Does high school volunteering/shadowing count?
I was also wondering if working with employee health as an ambulatory tech would count as clinical experience. I'd appreciate your advice.
Thanks so much.
This doesn't sound clinical if you're mostly calling them. High school doesn't count either.

It's a tough situation with COVID, but hopefully it will improve. Not sure what you mean that you "can't" volunteer? Don't apply until you're ready.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, would not count as clinical. Clinical is gonna be dealing with patients and if you are just talking on phone...not sure this counts. It’s hard with Covid right now but still gotta get the experience. Do not apply until you are absolutely ready.

Ok thank you for all your help. I will keep searching for clinical experience in the upcoming year, but so far I have the following non clinical hours as:
Crisis Text Line (120 hours)
Tutor (400)
Hospice Phone Caller (40)
GetUsPPE (40)
Ambulatory Tech (30 - ongoing)
Research ( 1000+)
Would it be a good idea to wait for another cycle to get more long term clinical experience, or would it be okay if I applied to the 2022-23 cycle? My clinical hours are pretty much zero because of COVID.
You need at least 150 clinical hours. If you can get that in the next year then go for it next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.